Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Cerealman the conflicted one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
    That's less to do with apologetics and more of my own curiosity of how Torah/Bible described the Earth.Obviously all of it is not literal and that's definitely not what I'm saying at all.It's just that did it or does it really matter if early jews/christians saw the earth as flat,and if so were they explaining from their perspective or from God's?
    How bout citing an actual "flat earth" Bible passage for discussion?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Absolutely agreed - but I'd suggest focusing on the vitally important, and leaving "Did Adam and Eve have bellybuttons" type questions for later.
      Adam and Eve had 11 toes and 11 hands cp, this is common knowledge
      "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
      "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
      Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

That's less to do with apologetics and more of my own curiosity of how Torah/Bible described the Earth.Obviously all of it is not literal and that's definitely not what I'm saying at all.It's just that did it or does it really matter if early jews/christians saw the earth as flat,and if so were they explaining from their perspective or from God's?
        I don't know that it really matters, since scripture makes no pretense at being a science textbook. I don't know of a single theological point which even comes close to hinging on whether or not the earth is flat.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          And it is a mistake to get hung up on phenomenological language in the first place, after all we still talk about "sunrise" and "sunset" without it meaning that you believe that the sun is actually orbiting the earth. The Bible occasionally uses the language of appearance, how things look not necessarily how things are in order to teach a lesson. And this leads to an important thing to keep in mind, namely, the Bible was never meant to be read as a science text book but rather is concerned with conveying much more important universal truths.
          Won't lie even in my day to day life I do catch myself taking meanings of words literal and in a pretty socially awkward way.And I'll acknowledge that I do that and no doubt the Bible is not a science book, but I don't think I've said it should be taken that way either.
          "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
          Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Adam and Eve had 11 toes and 11 hands cp, this is common knowledge
            Cerealman discovered beer!
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              How bout citing an actual "flat earth" Bible passage for discussion?
              Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”
              Psalm 96:10: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”
              Are these simply stating the Earth is planted as is in orbit or that the Earth is flat in relation to these verses?For me personally I've sided with the first.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Cerealman discovered beer!
                Well you guys did know me at 16 when all I could drink was water and juice. And I DEFINITELY waited till 21 to drink alcohol and I will say beer is disgusting.

Comment

Won't lie even in my day to day life I do catch myself taking meanings of words literal and in a pretty socially awkward way.And I'll acknowledge that I do that and no doubt the Bible is not a science book, but I don't think I've said it should be taken that way either.
                  My point is that references that apparently describe a flat earth and the like should be taken with a grain of salt and shouldn't be so off-putting that you throw the baby out with the bath water

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Forget if I stated it or not,but I'm not here to prove anyone here right or wrong this is all just an informal discussion.

Comment

Forget if I stated it or not,but I'm not here to prove anyone here right or wrong this is all just an informal discussion.
                      Understood so relax and remember that you're among friends.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well you guys did know me at 16 when all I could drink was water and juice. And I DEFINITELY waited till 21 to drink alcohol and I will say beer is disgusting.
                        It is an acquired taste. For a while my favorite beer was Molson Ice, because that was the first one I tried which I could finish.

sigpic

Comment

It is an acquired taste. For a while my favorite beer was Molson Ice, because that was the first one I tried which I could finish.
                          Yeah I don't like most American beer, or IPAs. But I love Wheat based beers like Franziskaner.

Comment

Too many times I've been told it's an "Acquired taste" and I gotta say it's still gross.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              My point is that references that apparently describe a flat earth and the like should be taken with a grain of salt and shouldn't be so off-putting that you throw the baby out with the bath water
                              True fair enough. The biggest thing to me personally, is the whole Israelite slaves in Egypt.Was the number truly 600k? How come others at the time(egyptians) did not keep track of that many slaves at such a scale?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Yeah I don't like most American beer, or IPAs. But I love Wheat based beers like Franziskaner.
                                I really like IPAs, but don't care much for wheat-based beers.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X