Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Cerealman the conflicted one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    It is an acquired taste. For a while my favorite beer was Molson Ice, because that was the first one I tried which I could finish.
    I have a cousin who's oldest child had to be watched like a hawk or at the age of 2 would try to drink what remained in any bottles of beer sitting around. He never had to acquire the taste, he loved it from the get go.

Wow. He would be in his late 30s by now! Boy, do I suddenly feel old.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
      True fair enough. The biggest thing to me personally, is the whole Israelite slaves in Egypt.Was the number truly 600k? How come others at the time(egyptians) did not keep track of that many slaves at such a scale?
      Did you see my earlier post about the Hebrews in Egypt?

Here is some evidence of the Hebrews being mentioned by Egyptians:

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/...-yes-1.5429843

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merneptah_Stele

Don't think they mention numbers, but even if the Egyptians did keep records of such thing you can't expect them to still be around after 3K years. We don't have that many written artifacts other than what is written on tombs and such. Why would they keep track of slave numbers on a tomb wall?

It would have been a book-keeping type record. Probably written on papyrus and tossed when not needed any more.

Comment

I really like IPAs, but don't care much for wheat-based beers.
        There is an IPA made less than a mile from where I live that is absolutely delicious with a burger. My local O'Charley's serves it on draft and I usually get the 22 oz. sized one when I stop by.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

True fair enough. The biggest thing to me personally, is the whole Israelite slaves in Egypt.Was the number truly 600k? How come others at the time(egyptians) did not keep track of that many slaves at such a scale?
          Read the article that I (and Sparko ) linked to. It's debatable whether the phrase usually translated "thousand" actually means that. Even if it does, it would be pretty embarrassing to lose that large a slave population, and the Egyptians (like others) were pretty good at whitewashing their history.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Read the article that I (and Sparko ) linked to. It's debatable whether the phrase usually translated "thousand" actually means that. Even if it does, it would be pretty embarrassing to lose that large a slave population, and the Egyptians (like others) were pretty good at whitewashing their history.
            Yeah, that's a pretty good article! We've known that ancient Egyptians liked to whitewash their history and as the article points out the constant flooding of some parts left virtually no records unscathed if not obliterated.
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Too many times I've been told it's an "Acquired taste" and I gotta say it's still gross.
              That's the way I'm with Scotch. It's like lighter fluid to me (not that I've drank lighter fluid, but you get the point). A friend of mine kept telling me that's because all I ever had was blended Scotch and I needed to try a single malt and told me to remind him to pour me a glass the next time I was over. To be fair the single malt was better (and I've even had Johnnie Walker Blue Label), but at $150/bottle and up it just wasn't something I wanted to bother acquiring a taste for.

Comment

Yeah I was reading it along bit by bit while responding to everyone.I do know words can get lost in translation and if there's an inclination that it happened then really that's all I need on that subject.
                "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  That's the way I'm with Scotch. It's like lighter fluid to me (not that I've drank lighter fluid, but you get the point). A friend of mine kept telling me that's because all I ever had was blended Scotch and I needed to try a single malt and told me to remind him to pour me a glass the next time I was over. To be fair the single malt was better (and I've even had Johnnie Walker Blue Label), but at $150/bottle and up it just wasn't something I wanted to bother acquiring a taste for.
                  Us college boys drink either whiskey or vodka in this house. I should mention that I ironically lived in a renovated church.
                  "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                  "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                  Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Adam and Eve had 11 toes and 11 hands cp, this is common knowledge
                    But not a bellybutton among the two of them!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If the earth were a smooth spheroid, it would be covered entirely by water to a depth of approximately 2.6km.
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        If the earth were a smooth spheroid, it would be covered entirely by water to a depth of approximately 2.6km.
                        Since the Earth is an oblate spheroid, how would that impact the water's depth a) at the equator and b) at the poles? For grins, let's add the impact of the Earth's rotation and the moon.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Since the Earth is an oblate spheroid, how would that impact the water's depth a) at the equator and b) at the poles? For grins, let's add the impact of the Earth's rotation and the moon.
                          Good question. The polar diameter is about 7900 miles and the equatorial diameter is about 27 miles more, the difference being about 1:290. That difference already takes account of the earth’s rotation. Water depth would differ according to the same ratio, shallower at the poles. The tides would be very similar in range to those now seen in the large oceans.

To approximately calculate the oblateness of the earth from first principles you would first have to calculate the elastic modulus of the whole earth from your knowledge of the earth’s construction – I don’t think this has ever been done, by anyone, least of all, by firstfloor.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Yeah I was reading it along bit by bit while responding to everyone.I do know words can get lost in translation and if there's an inclination that it happened then really that's all I need on that subject.
                            So what are your other concerns? It seems like there is something more that you're hesitating to say.

Comment

So as most you have probably known me since I was maybe 16ish or so when I joined this site one boring summer and I've now grown into the amazing CerealMAN.Since joining this site and growing up(22 now) I've become more and more agnostic and have for the most part lost faith in Christianity.
                              Now for me personally it wasn't something like "oh he didn't answer me in my time of need",but more of a problem I see with Human history vs Biblical Human history. Basically how we all came to be and what not.

Not that this is recent or anything I've felt like this since basically going to college.I'm also more of an analytical person so for me I care more for the history than say a miracle(though I guess that is important in this aspect) in convincing me.

So there are a few topics I just wanna talk over:
                              The accuracy of the jews being slaves in Egypt
                              "The Earth is flat" even though honestly for me, this isn't a big one just something I'd like to know more on.
                              The flood;this one for me I believe the writers were talking about a local flood which from their perspective could be seen as "global".

So yeah let's get to talking.If you're one of those gumpy folks regardless of where you stand, don't even bother commenting.
                              I believe there is a difference between the the problems of the ancient perspective in ancient scriptures as to what is God, or whether God exists or not. I believe that the human view could not be a reliable witness at any time in history as to the nature of God nor whether God exists or not, but to believe in God you have to move on and leave ancient world views in the past. I believe that the nature of God has spiritually evolved along with our knowledge of the nature of our physical existence in a positive realistic way. Those that cling to ancient world views give God a bad image.

Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: CP

If you have a problem with the establishment, you should know better than argue moderation in a thread - there is a venue provided for that purpose. Please see the note that accompanies this, and all other, warnings.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                              Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-04-2019, 01:12 PM.
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Hi, cerealman! Have you read a Case for Christ? Or done some research at www.christianthinktank.com? Remember that the truth of Christianity hinges on the Resurrection of Jesus, not inerrancy.
                                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X