Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Cerealman the conflicted one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
    Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”
    Psalm 96:10: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”
    Are these simply stating the Earth is planted as is in orbit or that the Earth is flat in relation to these verses?For me personally I've sided with the first.
    STM that the point is not the motionlessness of the Earth, but the Majesty of God its Creator. The example chosen for making the point may be flawed and inaccurate, but the theological lesson suggested by it, stands.

The observations about the natural world are not for the sake of imparting lessons about the natural world, but for exciting reverence for God in the reader and hearer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
      True fair enough. The biggest thing to me personally, is the whole Israelite slaves in Egypt.Was the number truly 600k? How come others at the time(egyptians) did not keep track of that many slaves at such a scale?
      I have a theory about this, and it is only my theory (as far as I know) so please don’t give it any more weight than that.

IMO, the large numbers in Exodus 12.40, Numbers 1 & Numbers 26 are theological constructions. They are not to be taken as historically or logistically accurate population statistics. And they are not intended to be historically counts of the adult population of Israel at those times.
      Instead, I think the numbers have this function: to say that Israel had grown very greatly since Jacob and his descendants came down to Egypt, so that the greatness of this increase - from 70 people to over 600,000 - might be evidence of the greatness and faithfulness of Israel’s God.

If the figure is at all realistic, maybe it comes from the writer’s own age, and is a retrojection, a number from the writer’s own time cast back upon that ancient population, so as to identify the writer’s Israel with that ancient population.

Logistically, the entire figure for the Exodus Israelites seems to be closer to 2,000,000, since it does not include women and children. And that figure seems to raise logistical difficulties.

If anything, this theory - which must surely have been suggested already - oversimplifies the issue, since the text as we have it shows signs of being composite.

I’m agnostic about the historicity of the Exodus. IMO the accounts of it are Israelite foundation-legends, not unlike the legends and myths of Greece, except that the Biblical texts are “God-breathed”.
      Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 05-07-2019, 11:55 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X