Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Holocaust study: Two-thirds of millennials don’t know what Auschwitz is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holocaust study: Two-thirds of millennials don’t know what Auschwitz is

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5ebc13934a91

Two-thirds of American millennials surveyed in a recent poll cannot identify what Auschwitz is, according to a study released on Holocaust Remembrance Day that found that knowledge of the genocide that killed 6 million Jews during World War II is not robust among American adults.

Twenty-two percent of millennials in the poll said they haven’t heard of the Holocaust or are not sure whether they’ve heard of it — twice the percentage of U.S. adults as a whole who said the same.
    The study, conducted by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, interviewed 1,350 American adults in February and recruited by telephone and an online non-probability sample.
    Asked to identify what Auschwitz is, 41 percent of respondents and 66 percent of millennials could not come up with a correct response identifying it as a concentration camp or extermination camp.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

The sad truth is most people have a total lack of historical understanding.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I bet these same people believe the US is a Democracy.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When we visited DC several years ago with my almost-adult granddaughter, one of the things she said she really wanted to see was the Holocaust Memorial Museum.

When we entered, she was her usual light-hearted fun-loving self, but it was interesting to see her whole countenance change as she looked at - and actually read - the exhibits. I was proud that she didn't just "scan through", but we probably spent more time in that one stop than we did anything else we did in DC - because of her.

Later, when I asked why that impressed her so much, she said, "because we talked about it at school, but they kinda just brushed over it, and it sounded like it was way more horrible than they were saying".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A good part of the blame may be on what schools are teaching. I was entirely ignorant of the Armenian genocide until I happened to stumble across a book on it a decade ago at an airport book kiosk - and I had 4 years of honors/AP history in high school.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

When I was going through my Home School trial, I received assistance from Mel and Norma Gabler, the "Texas Textbook Critics".

They had a whole bunch of examples of how textbooks have changed in Texas, and what was added in, and taken out.

My favorite example was George Washington. He would show the official Texas textbook for History, and there would be a page and a half about George Washington in the 1965 (or thereabouts) version, and the same textbook the next year had one small paragraph, but a page and a half about Marilyn Monroe.

More specifically, he would point out a sentence that said "George Washington was known to have a violent temper, but he kept it under masterful control".
            The next year's version said "George Washington was known to have a violent temper".

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              A good part of the blame may be on what schools are teaching. I was entirely ignorant of the Armenian genocide until I happened to stumble across a book on it a decade ago at an airport book kiosk - and I had 4 years of honors/AP history in high school.
              everyone has seen those comedic interviews where they go on college campuses and ask students who won the civil war, or where various countries are, or even who the vice president is. The students over the last decade or so are completely ignorant of basic knowledge. I blame the colleges who seem more interested in brain washing them with liberalism rather than actually educating our kids.

Apparently millennials are so clueless they have to take special courses in how to be an adult.

Millennials Are Signing Up For 'Adulting' Classes To Learn Skills Like Cooking And Budgeting
              https://lifestyle.diply.com/29339/ad...ontent=f010117

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                everyone has seen those comedic interviews where they go on college campuses and ask students who won the civil war, or where various countries are, or even who the vice president is. The students over the last decade or so are completely ignorant of basic knowledge. I blame the colleges who seem more interested in brain washing them with liberalism rather than actually educating our kids.

Apparently millennials are so clueless they have to take special courses in how to be an adult.

Millennials Are Signing Up For 'Adulting' Classes To Learn Skills Like Cooking And Budgeting
                https://lifestyle.diply.com/29339/ad...ontent=f010117
                I think the problem really lies in our public education system -- kids aren't ready for college, so college has to be dumbed down not to flunk the whole lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I think the problem really lies in our public education system -- kids aren't ready for college, so college has to be dumbed down not to flunk the whole lot.
                  yep. "No kid left behind" means a lot of dumb kids getting moved ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Not necessarily dumbed down - they just start people off in remedial classes. That way they can extract another pound of flesh from whomever's paying.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

ndp crap.jpg

Current education in Alberta.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I don't think lack of knowledge of what Auschwitz was is alarming; there's plenty of things I know about but I don't necessarily know the names of. The important thing is knowing what concentration camps were, not what the name of the most prominent one was. It's like the droppings of the atomic bombs; the important thing is that there were atomic bombs and were dropped, not that their names were Fat Man and Little Boy.

The more alarming part is that "twenty-two percent of millennials in the poll said they haven’t heard of the Holocaust or are not sure whether they’ve heard of it".

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                          I don't think lack of knowledge of what Auschwitz was is alarming; there's plenty of things I know about but I don't necessarily know the names of. The important thing is knowing what concentration camps were, not what the name of the most prominent one was. It's like the droppings of the atomic bombs; the important thing is that there were atomic bombs and were dropped, not that their names were Fat Man and Little Boy.

The more alarming part is that "twenty-two percent of millennials in the poll said they haven’t heard of the Holocaust or are not sure whether they’ve heard of it".
                          Picky picky picky!

But, yeah. (unless you're playing Jeopardy or Trivial Pursuit or Who Wants to be a Millionaire)

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post

But this is the generation that will quickly call you a Nazi, yet they are overwhelmingly ignorant on the specifics of what the real Nazis did.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5ebc13934a91

Two-thirds of American millennials surveyed in a recent poll cannot identify what Auschwitz is, according to a study released on Holocaust Remembrance Day that found that knowledge of the genocide that killed 6 million Jews during World War II is not robust among American adults.

Twenty-two percent of millennials in the poll said they haven’t heard of the Holocaust or are not sure whether they’ve heard of it — twice the percentage of U.S. adults as a whole who said the same.
                              The study, conducted by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, interviewed 1,350 American adults in February and recruited by telephone and an online non-probability sample.
                              Asked to identify what Auschwitz is, 41 percent of respondents and 66 percent of millennials could not come up with a correct response identifying it as a concentration camp or extermination camp.
                              Anti-semitism is on the rise. It is part and parcel of Islam - Jewish people being the lowest of the people of faith and Mohammed speaking quite vilely of them. Farakkan's nation of Islam being quite heinous in their approach to the issue. It is also on the rise in Europe where it eventually became the Holocaust in Hitler. The hope that we will 'never forget' is not a hope that can survive long in the current direction the country and the world are going. Does Russia want their slaughters remembers. Does China. Does Vietnam, Cambodia, or North Korea?

Remembering these sorts of mass slaughters is the only way to keep despots from seducing the general population. Because these rarely look like to sorts of people that are headed that way at first. We have to remember what the Communists in so many countries have done, what Hitler did, what was done in the Crusades, and so much more to understand how fragile peace, tolerance, goodness, and civilization in general are, and to recognize the warning signs when some leader, country, religious expression, ideology or sect begins to head down the roads that lead to these sorts of events.

Jim
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment