Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

‘INSULTING TO ISLAM’ Thousands of Muslims demand Nike recall ‘offensive’ Air Max trai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Did you hear what happens when you play country music backwards? The guy gets sober, quits cheating, gets his wife back, gets his job back, gets his pickup truck back....
    Reminds me of this:

Have you heard that if you play Nickelback backwards you hear chants to the devil? Even worse, if you play it forwards, you get Nickelback.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

A thought occurred to me: are we sure this isn't a 4chan hoax? It would be right up their alley.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        A thought occurred to me: are we sure this isn't a 4chan hoax? It would be right up their alley.
        Interesting! Lemme see if there's another source.

ETA: If it's a hoax, they've managed to fool lots of other sources, as well...

nike source.jpg
        Last edited by Cow Poke; 01-30-2019, 10:34 AM.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

From one of those sources...

Nike is to recall a range of sports shoes carrying a logo that offended Muslims in America. It has agreed not to sell the new line in Britain.

In exchange for the sales ban and an apology, the Council on American- Islamic Relations (Cair) will urge Muslims around the world not to boycott Nike products. The company also agreed to donate a $50,000 (pounds 31,000) playground to an Islamic elementary school in the United States.

A row broke out after the company used a logo meant to look like flames on a line of basketball shoes to be sold this summer, with the names "Air Bakin'", "Air Melt", "Air Grill" and "Air B-Que". Some Muslims claimed that the logo resembled the word "Allah" written in Arabic script.

The problem was first identified by a Muslim distributor last September, and the logo amended. But Islamic leaders said it was still offensive to their religion when the shoes hit the shops in America and some other parts of the world in March. Now Nike has withdrawn 38,000 pairs of the shoes worldwide.

Nihad Awas, Cair's executive director, said: "We wanted to reinstate confidence in our community that whenever they see something offensive, there could be something done about it."

Roy Agostino, for Nike, said the company immediately diverted supplies away from Islamic states and discontinued production. It had also introduced a review panel into its development process to prevent any similar problems in future.

"We have, through this process, developed a deeper understanding of Islamic concerns and Islamic issues," he said. "As our brand continues to expand, we have to deepen our awareness of other world communities."

Looks like CAIR managed to shake down Nike for a $50,000 donation of a playground! The Reverend Jesse Jackson would be proud!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Larry Norman on backmasking (from about 1:00 to 3:20):

The man, the legend. I had a friend who said that when he first got saved, he listened to nothing but old gospel hymns because he thought that's what Christians were supposed to listen to. Then one day he discovered Larry Norman, and he said he felt like he had been saved all over again.

And speaking of back-masking, Petra took their own jab at people who played records backwards looking for secret messages:

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Have you heard that if you play Nickelback backwards you hear chants to the devil? Even worse, if you play it forwards, you get Nickelback.

Comment

Did you hear what happens when you play country music backwards? The guy gets sober, quits cheating, gets his wife back, gets his job back, gets his pickup truck back....
                And his dog lives

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  And his dog lives
                  And it quits raining, Momma gets out of prison and doesn't get runned over by a reindeer OR a durned ol' train!

Comment

When we finally get self-driving vehicles, will a country singer write a song about how his truck left him?
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      When we finally get self-driving vehicles, will a country singer write a song about how his truck left him?
                      Especially if it left him for another country singer.

Comment

And it quits raining, Momma gets out of prison and doesn't get runned over by a reindeer OR a durned ol' train!
                        In the era of Roy Acuff and the Carter Family I think it was likely the horse that died but as we became modernizified it became the truck and dog.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

In the era of Roy Acuff and the Carter Family I think it was likely the horse that died but as we became modernizified it became the truck and dog.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Wait until they discover Ballahack Airsoft Field in Virginia where folks can shoot opponents with spherical plastic projectiles thereby equating Islam with violence -- which as we know is 100% untrue and offensive to the peace-loving religion.

And what about people who's last name is Callahan and any businesses containing the family name? Obviously intended to mock Islam. Especially since the Clint Eastwood character "Dirty Harry" who's last name was Callahan. Again, a blatant attempt to link Islam with violence.

This seems to be a form of pareidolia similar but different from people who see Jesus in a stain.
                            But look there is a cross in the nike logo too! The X!

Untitled-2.jpg

They are insulting Christians!
                            I demand bacon in payment!
                            Last edited by Sparko; 01-30-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

It is very important to push back against this sort of thing by increasing offensiveness so that they become accustomed to it and are consequently less reactive.
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                It is very important to push back against this sort of thing by increasing offensiveness so that they become accustomed to it and are consequently less reactive.
                                Yes, let's all look really hard for things over which we can be offended so we can pitch fits and get stuff.

Comment