Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

�INSULTING TO ISLAM� Thousands of Muslims demand Nike recall �offensive� Air Max trai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    You are right.

Jim
    You are, too!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
      Anders Brievik, Advent Lateka, Scott Roeder, Eric Rudolph, the Williams brothers and other examples show that Christians do attack people in the name of Jesus.
      But the question is, are those Christians following the teachings of their scripture and the example of Jesus? No, they are not.

Muslims who murder infidels, on the other hand, are following both their scripture and the example set by Mohammad.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Just here to counter a claim by you. Still too busy with my new job to post regularly on tweb.

Breivik isn't a Christian, he doesn't believe in God. He's stated so quite clearly multiple times, including in his manifesto.
        I don't want to download his full manifesto, since I'm at work, but various news sites
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          I don't want to download his full manifesto, since I'm at work, but various news sites
          It is not terribly unusual for such people to be all over the map with their statements of belief, especially in a manifesto.

His religious faith is Odinism, but Breivik and others have previously linked his religious beliefs to Christianity.

The manifesto states its author is "100 percent Christian", but he is not "excessively religious"; "I'm not going to pretend I'm a very religious person, as that would be a lie"; and considers himself a "cultural Christian" and a "modern-day crusader". He calls religion a crutch and a source for drawing mental strength, and says "I've always been very pragmatic and influenced by my secular surroundings and environment". Regarding the term cultural Christian, which he says means preserving European culture, he notes, "It is enough that you are a Christian-agnostic or a Christian-atheist (an atheist who wants to preserve at least the basics of the European Christian cultural legacy...)". Furthermore, Breivik said "myself and many more like me do not necessarily have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and God." Nevertheless, he said he planned to pray to God for help during his attacks. Before the attacks, he stated an intention to attend Frogner Church in a final "Martyr's mass".

Yeah, from that description, he could be a POPE!

odin.jpg
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Wow. Roy, you need to do a little more homework before posting stuff like this.
            Excellent rebuttal.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Excellent rebuttal.
              I followed up, Roy.

Comment

It is not terribly unusual for such people to be all over the map with their statements of belief, especially in a manifesto.
                Oh, I agree. But to claim "Breivik isn't a Christian, he doesn't believe in God. He's stated so quite clearly multiple times, including in his manifesto" when Breivik's manifesto clearly states that he is a Christian and does believe in God is exactly the form of denial I meant.

Comment

Oh, I agree. But to claim "Breivik isn't a Christian, he doesn't believe in God. He's stated so quite clearly multiple times, including in his manifesto" when Breivik's manifesto clearly states that he is a Christian and does believe in God is exactly the form of denial I meant.
                  Roy, the guy is all over the map - he has claimed to be a whole bunch of things. I did your homework for you and showed where he's quite conflicted. He appears to be a very confused man, and quite possibly a pathological liar. It doesn't matter how "quite clearly" a nutcase states something --- he could quite clearly state he was Lady Gaga --- would you believe him?

I'm really not sure what you're doing here - are you attempting to back away from your previous statement, or maybe you're attempting to double down.

Comment

I'm really not sure what you're doing here - are you attempting to back away from your previous statement, or maybe you're attempting to double down.
                    Just pointing out that the usual response to violence being committed by Christians is not
                    - "That act is not appropriate for a Christian"
                    but
                    - "That act wasn't committed by a Christian"
                    or
                    - "That act isn't as bad as those committed by Muslims"

Comment

Just pointing out that the usual response to violence being committed by Christians is not
                      but
                      or
                      The guy "quite clearly stated" he was all kinds of things - including Knights Templar, a Freemason, an Odinist.... there is nothing in his life that demonstrates he was even a CEO Christian.

Comment

A person can 'consider themselves Christian' for a multitude of reasons. Whether or not they represent the name they claim can be determined by whether or not they act according the the teachings of what they claim. As I outlined above, no-one commiting violent, lethal acts in the name of God can legitimately be claiming to represent or follow the teachings of Christ because at every turn and at every opportunity He and ALL His early followers of the religion rebuked such actions. It was not until Christianity became the official religion of Rome and the trappings of world power began to infiltrate and corrupt the faith that the world saw any kind of warlike action from people that claimed to be Christian. Not so Islam. It began and much if its initial spread was at the hands of tribal butchers that, as I said, gave people little choice but to convert.

One other element. Christian teaching is that all men are sinful, and the sin becomes utterly sinful when it takes that which is good and uses it for evil. When you see people taking the name of Christ within whose teachings is not one element that can be used to justify evil actions, who taught we should love all people as we love ourselves, that we should love our enemies and pray for them, that we should NEVER return evil for evil, tun the other cheek, walk the extra mile, give our shirt as well when our coat is demanded, and then using His name and His teachings as justification for evil actions, you are seeing direct proof of the nature in mankind that needs saving.

Jim
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-01-2019, 07:48 AM.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

but
                          or
                          Roy, if the guy really WAS a Christian - not just a nutcase who claimed to be all kinds of things - I'd be most happy to denounce his violent acts.

In fact, I'll go on record ---- "assuming this guy WAS a Christian - what he did was HORRENDOUS, and a black eye to Christianity in general, and Jesus in particular".

(Actually, I denounce his violent acts regardless of who or what he claims to be)

Better?

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
                            Whether or not he's a Christian is beside the point, because anybody who commits violence in the name of Jesus is clearly acting contrary to the life and teachings of the man who's name they invoke.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Whether or not he's a Christian is beside the point, because anybody who commits violence in the name of Jesus is clearly acting contrary to the life and teachings of the man who's name they invoke.
                              You mean, we're supposed to take sayings like, "do not return evil for evil" and "'vengeance is mine; I will repay', says the Lord" seriously? Huh.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Well let me denounce him for you. He does not represent Christianity, he is a terrorist. Christianity in no way teaches mass murder of innocents.

Comment