Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

‘INSULTING TO ISLAM’ Thousands of Muslims demand Nike recall ‘offensive’ Air Max trai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Of course if a Christian spoke out about something like this, they would be dismissed as a kook, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree. This complaint, however, even as silly as it is, is likely to be taken with the utmost seriousness, and I fully expect Nike to eat the cost of a recall while they beg forgiveness from their Muslim customers.
    Well, that is because offended muslims have a tendency to kill people and blow things up, and nike would rather not be their next target. People know a distinguishing concept in islam is jihad, whereas they also know a distinguishing concept inChristianity is turn the other cheek.

It is truly sad they are more willing to be tolerant or respectful of the former than the latter.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-31-2019, 06:37 AM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Well, that is because offended muslims have a tendency to kill people and blow things up, and nike would rather not be their next target. People know a distinguishing concept in islam is jihad, whereas they also know a distinguishing concept inChristianity is turn the other cheek.

It is truly sad they are more willing to be tolerant or respectful of the former than the latter.

Jim
      For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

You are obviously an Islamophobe to say such things about the religion of peace

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well, that is because offended muslims have a tendency to kill people and blow things up, and nike would rather not be their next target. People know a distinguishing concept in islam is jihad, whereas they also know a distinguishing concept in Christianity is turn the other cheek.

I agree, although I think many Christians misunderstand what it means to "turn the other cheek". It doesn't mean to lay down and let ourselves be walked over without protest. In Jesus' day, verbal wit was highly prized in public debate, so the person who was the first to strike out with physical violence was seen as unable to mentally keep up with his opponent. Not responding in kind and offering your other cheek for him to strike would serve to further humiliate him.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Jim
          I agree. Not all Muslims are like that but some of those who take offense are willing to go very far.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
            Not all Muslims are like...
            Which is to say that not all Muslims follow the teachings of their scripture and the example of their founder.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Which is to say that not all Muslims follow the teachings of their scripture and the example of their founder.
              Which - even if true - is important to note because you avoid a too biased idea about how people who call themselves Muslims behave.

I often point out that I am not talking about all Christians or all Evangelicals when I point to Christians who do not follow the teachings of their scripture and the example of their founder.
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Which - even if true - is important to note because you avoid a too biased idea about how people who call themselves Muslims behave.

I often point out that I am not talking about all Christians or all Evangelicals when I point to Christians who do not follow the teachings of their scripture and the example of their founder.
                Christians are not sawing the heads off of people or blowing them up or attacking them in the name of Jesus -- and if they were, mainline Christians would loudly and clearly condemn and denounce them. Otherwise, yeah, EXACTLY the same.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The problem is, the one you fail to comprehend, is that when Christians are killing and looting and the like they are "not following the teachings of their scripture and the example of their founder."

Whereas when Muslims are killing and looting and the like they are "following the teachings of their scripture and the example of their founder."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Christians are not sawing the heads off of people or blowing them up or attacking them in the name of Jesus -- and if they were, mainline Christians would loudly and clearly condemn and denounce them. Otherwise, yeah, EXACTLY the same.
                    It is not that 'Christians' don't sometimes do similar things if they get off the path. It's that there is no means in the Religion itself to sanction such actions. Jesus rebuked every attempt to 'defend' God with the sword by the disciples. There is nothing in the Gospels or the Epistles that can be used to justify hostility towards other people in the name of God or in some sort of misguided attempt to remove evil from the world. In Islam, that simply is not the case.

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

It is not that 'Christians' don't sometimes do similar things if they get off the path...
                      My point was - even if they DO, the rest of us quickly and loudly denounce them. Which is why I said "mainline Christians would loudly and clearly condemn and denounce them." I would have thought it was obvious that the REASON we would loudly and clearly condemn and denounce them was that it would clearly be "not Christian".
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My point was - even if they DO, the rest of us quickly and loudly denounce them. Which is why I said "mainline Christians would loudly and clearly condemn and denounce them." I would have thought it was obvious that the REASON we would loudly and clearly condemn and denounce them was that it would clearly be "not Christian".
                        You are right.

Jim

Comment

Christians are not sawing the heads off of people or blowing them up or attacking them in the name of Jesus
                          Anders Brievik, Advent Lateka, Scott Roeder, Eric Rudolph, the Williams brothers and other examples show that Christians do attack people in the name of Jesus.
                          -- and if they were, mainline Christians would loudly and clearly condemn and denounce them.
                          As this thread shows, the response is (i) claim they aren't Christians, (ii) say Muslims are worse, (iii) complain about abortion. Diversion, not denouncement.

And this thread. Other threads also have the response (iv) call for more guns.
                          Last edited by Roy; 02-01-2019, 04:07 AM.
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Just here to counter a claim by you. Still too busy with my new job to post regularly on tweb.

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            Anders Brievik... show that Christians do attack people in the name of Jesus.
                            Breivik isn't a Christian, he doesn't believe in God. He's stated so quite clearly multiple times, including in his manifesto.

As this thread shows, the response is (i) claim they aren't Christians
                            Breivik isn't a Christian. You including him looks like you having to scrape a barrel to bring up a couple of examples. He isn't Christian, he's just alt-right.

Diversion, not denouncement.
                            Most of the anti-abortion terrorists in the US are Christians. They're heinous and have been denounced by almost every single prolife group that I know of. And those few irrelevant fringe groups that haven't explicitly denounced those terrorist actions, have found themselves without support and alone.

Now I'm back to tending my career. Good luck guys. God bless.

Comment

Anders Brievik, Advent Lateka, Scott Roeder, Eric Rudolph, the Williams brothers and other examples show that Christians do attack people in the name of Jesus. As this thread shows, the response is (i) claim they aren't Christians, (ii) say Muslims are worse, (iii) complain about abortion. Diversion, not denouncement.

Roy, there is a fundamental difference in the underlying teaching of the two religions, and that has an effect on how they are expressed on the world stage. There is no support in the actual teachings of the religion of Christianity for lethal action in the name of God. Period. Its fundamental teaching about how to deal with evil, or those that despise or persecute the faith, is passive. Turn the other cheek. Love you enemies, pray for those that persecute you and so forth. Islam OTOH contains within it directives to even so far as to slit the throats of those that reject its teachings or anyone that mocks or debases mohammed or Allah. And this produces an overall completely different approach to dealing with evil amongst those that practice the faith. And in what constitutes a true follower.

The symbol of the TRUE follower of Christ is the martyr that passively lays down his life willingly for others, even his enemies.

The symbol of a TRUE follower of Islam is the martyr that takes out as many infidels as is possible defending the name of God.

Jesus and the Disciples did not fight those that killed them. They did not gather to themselves armies to defeat the forces of evil. When they were tempted to do so, they were rebuked by Christ. When they communicated the Gospel they often were killed for it and they passively submitted to it.

Mohammed roamed the middle east with morading bands of followers that when they entered an area mercilessly subjected every person they encountered with the choice between a slit throat and conversion to Islam.

There is no comparison Roy. That there are extremists in both religions that go beyond the teachings and commit heinous acts neither religion accepts is true. But as was pointed out, Christian leaders are QUICK to condemn these acts, whereas Islamic leaders often find themselves struggling because what has been done is much easier to reconcile with the teachings and history of their religion.

It is foolish to think that there is some sort of basic equivalence between the two religions and that it is sensible to think that one can expect similar results in terms of how cultures based on them interact with the rest of the world.

A Crystal clear example can be found right here in this country: Compare the teachings and actions of Martin Luther King to those of Louis Farrakhan.

Jim
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-01-2019, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Anders Brievik, Advent Lateka, Scott Roeder, Eric Rudolph, the Williams brothers and other examples show that Christians do attack people in the name of Jesus. As this thread shows, the response is (i) claim they aren't Christians, (ii) say Muslims are worse, (iii) complain about abortion. Diversion, not denouncement.

Wow. Roy, you need to do a little more homework before posting stuff like this.

Comment