Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

‘INSULTING TO ISLAM’ Thousands of Muslims demand Nike recall ‘offensive’ Air Max trai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Oh, I agree. But to claim "Breivik isn't a Christian, he doesn't believe in God. He's stated so quite clearly multiple times, including in his manifesto" when Breivik's manifesto clearly states that he is a Christian and does believe in God is exactly the form of denial I meant.
    I thought CP's initial point was anyone doing such things as terrorism would be denounced loudly as not representing Christianity? Isn't that clearly what Christians have done? I don't understand your objection.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I thought CP's initial point was anyone doing such things as terrorism would be denounced loudly as not representing Christianity? Isn't that clearly what Christians have done? I don't understand your objection.
      I'm not even certain Ignorant Roy understands his own objection.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I'm not even certain Ignorant Roy understands his own objection.
        I think he has decided that our main response to alleged Christians committing violence is --- don't denounce the violence, just deny they're Christians.

Roy really is smarter than this. I'm thinking he just messed up and can't bring himself to admit it.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Well let me denounce him for you. He does not represent Christianity, he is a terrorist. Christianity in no way teaches mass murder of innocents.
          Let's make that a little broader. Christianity is so far from teaching that murder is licit that even hating someone is condemned as murder.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Let's make that a little broader. Christianity is so far from teaching that murder is licit that even hating someone is condemned as murder.
            When we were little kids, I got really upset at one of my sisters, and yelled "I hate your guts!"

She just smiled and said, "you CAN'T hate me!"

I said, "Oh YEAH, why not?"

She said, "Cause the Jesus in you can't hate the Jesus in me".

(yeah, I wasn't showing much 'Jesus' then)
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              When we were little kids, I got really upset at one of my sisters, and yelled "I hate your guts!"

She just smiled and said, "you CAN'T hate me!"

I said, "Oh YEAH, why not?"

She said, "Cause the Jesus in you can't hate the Jesus in me".

(yeah, I wasn't showing much 'Jesus' then)
              It reminds me of the story of the guy sitting down to talk to his pastor about his marital problems:

"I don't love my wife any more."
              "But the Bible says to love your wife."
              "Well, she's more of just a friend than a wife these days."
              "The Bible says to love your friends."
              "Well, maybe not so much friends. We're more like neighbors."
              "The Bible says to love your neighbor."
              "Okay, you know what? She's like an enemy to me!"
              "The Bible says to love your enemy."
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I think he has decided that our main response to alleged Christians committing violence is --- don't denounce the violence, just deny they're Christians.

Roy really is smarter than this. I'm thinking he just messed up and can't bring himself to admit it.
                Well naturally if someone calls themselves a Christian and does things so horrendously against what Christianity teaches then they are not Christians. We would denounce both the action and them. They might claim themselves as Christian but they clearly are not. Like Timothy McVeigh (the Oklahoma city bomber) he belonged to a white supremacist Christian Identity movement - which clearly is a heretical cult.

He tried to pull the same thing on me with the Jehovah's Witnesses when I said they were not Christian.

Comment

‘INSULTING TO ISLAM’ Thousands of Muslims demand Nike recall ‘offensive’ Air Max trainer with ‘Allah written on the sole’

wow...

NIKE has been urged to recall “offensive” Air Max trainers because they have “Allah’s name in Arabic” on the sole.

Saiqa Noreen was appalled when she spotted text on the bottom of the shoe and accused the sports brand of “blasphemy”.

The illustrative wording appears to spell out the words Air Max in a joined up font.

However, Saiqa is not convinced and at the very least believes Nike have made a clumsy error - offending millions of Muslims in the process.

In Muslim culture showing the sole of your shoe is seen as the height of disrespect.

The shoe is considered dirty because it touches the ground and is associated with the foot – the lowest party of your body.

Saiqa launched a petition for Nike to recall their train with more than 4,800 signing it.

She fumes: “Nike has produced the Nike Air Max 270 shoe with the script logo on the sole resembling the word Allah in Arabic, which will surely be trampled, kicked and become soiled with mud or even filth.

“It is outrageous and appalling of Nike to allow the name of God on a shoe.

“This is disrespectful and extremely offensive to Muslim’s and insulting to Islam. Islam teaches compassion, kindness and fairness towards all.

“After recalling trainers in 1997, which had a similar logo depicting the word Allah, Nike claimed to have tighten scrutiny on logo design. So why has a similar design been approved?

“We urge Nike to recall this blasphemous and offensive shoe and all products with the design logo resembling the word Allah from worldwide sales immediately.”

A Nike spokesman said: "Nike respects all religions and we take concerns of this nature seriously.

"The Air Max logo was designed to be a stylised representation of Nike’s Air Max trademark. It is intended to reflect the Air Max brand only.

"Any other perceived meaning or representation is unintentional."
                  So what, you know how touchy the religious can be. AXE Deoderant had to ban their commercial because christians were offended that Angels were descending from heaven because they were attracted to a mans deoderant.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    So what, you know how touchy the religious can be. AXE Deoderant had to ban their commercial because christians were offended that Angels were descending from heaven because they were attracted to a mans deoderant.
                    I've somehow managed to never hear of this before now. All people can be touchy. Carpe, an avowed atheist, tries his best not to handle actual money because it says, "In God We Trust" on it.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I've somehow managed to never hear of this before now. All people can be touchy. Carpe, an avowed atheist, tries his best not to handle actual money because it says, "In God We Trust" on it.
                      How in the world did this thread get moved to 'the padded room'? Sheesh, nearly every thread in Civics or Nat Sci should be in 'the padded room' if this thread qualifies.

Jim
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        How in the world did this thread get moved to 'the padded room'? Sheesh, nearly every thread in Civics or Nat Sci should be in 'the padded room' if this thread qualifies.

Jim
                        A moderator intended to move a few posts to the padded room, and something went kablooey. We're looking into it.

sigpic

Comment

A moderator intended to move a few posts to the padded room, and something went kablooey. We're looking into it.
                          Yeah and it should be fixed now.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

It's what I've observed.

The usual response to Christians committing violence is to deny that the perpetrators are Christians. Not to admit that they are Christians that have sinned or erred or otherwise fallen short of expectations, or that they are Christians who have different views on how Christians should act, but to deny they are Christians.

There are several examples in this thread, and more in the threads I linked to.
                            Last edited by Roy; 02-04-2019, 09:53 AM.
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

It's what I've observed.

The usual response to Christians committing violence is to deny that the perpetrators are Christians. Not to admit that they are Christians that have sinned or erred or otherwise fallen short of expectations, or that they are Christians who have different views on how Christians should act, but to deny they are Christians.

There are several examples in this thread, and more in the threads I linked to.
                              Self-proclaimed Odinists are not Christians, Roy. As for the others.... A view countenancing acts condemned by specifically Christian scripture is not merely "different" - it is unChristian. They may claim Christianity, but they are not following its teachings. They've also been roundly condemned by pretty much every Christian community consulted. Imagining that this is anything like the case with Islam is like deliberately ignoring the forest in favor of a tree or two.
                              Much like the Pharisees, you manage to strain out gnats while swallowing a camel.

sigpic

Comment

It's what I've observed.
                                Perhaps because that's what you were wanting to see?

Comment