Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

We've been reading Kierkegaard all wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've been reading Kierkegaard all wrong

http://www.philosophynews.com/post/2...hen-Evans.aspx

See above. He argues that too many people have been reading him under the lens of later thinkers like Sartre
    Last edited by LaplacesDemon; 05-06-2014, 08:42 AM.

Who is Sarte?

Comment

Maybe we should move it to the philosophy thread.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
        Who is Sarte?
        French existentialist philosopher. (I misspelled his name)

Comment

This does seem more like a Philosophy thread. It would be helpful for you to summarize the interesting points you think the article makes. Otherwise you are asking other people to write at length on a complicated topic in which you yourself have invested nothing but a quick weblink.

Comment

Ok I think the main points are.
            K would agree with something like reformed epistemology.
            When K said faith contradicted reason , he didn't mean it contradicted logic or evidence , just that human beings had their faculties corrupted by sin and it was difficult to trust God because of that.
            K understood teh limits of human reason , but was not an existentialist is the mode of Sartre or other thinkers he was later associated with.

Comment

I believe Kierkegaard overstates the 'Natural Signs' evidence for God, particularly a Christian God. I consider it overwhelmingly neutral.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X