Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Air Fryer - like you see on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Fryer - like you see on TV

OK, I love some good fish and chips. It's rare around here to find a decent fish and chips dinner. When I find one, like at Denny's or LJS, the fish is usually greasy.

So, I bought one of them thar Air Fryers you see on TV. I have to say - the french fries are wonderful (no grease or oil or fat) and the fish comes out crispy on the outside and flaky on the inside - again, with no grease or oil.

I spray a little of the sprayable olive oil on the inside of the pan, but no other grease or fat or oil.

I shoulda posted a picture of the fish and chips I just cooked, but I ate them.

My wife used it to make some apple empanadas, and they were fantastic - they tasted like the "fried apple pies" we used to get from McDonalds, but without the grease or oil. (McDonald's now does a "baked" apple pie that... um.... soso)

The one I have is the Power Air Fryer XL, and so far, I'm loving it.

2019-01-31 13.52.10.jpg 2019-01-31 13.52.25.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Oh, and a couple of the biggest pluses --- I don't need to wait while the oven preheats, and the house doesn't smell like I cooked fish.

The fries cook golden brown in 18 minutes, and the fish is perfect after 9 minutes.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Might have to consider one of these!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

We have had "gadgets" before that we end up not using, and have buyer's remorse. So I bought this one at Walmart, saved the receipt, and was fully prepared to take it back.

We seem to keep experimenting with what will cook quickly and greaselessly....

Those frozen chicken pot pies? They taste so much better cooked in the air fryer than nuked in the microwave. Frozen pot pies take longer in the air fryer than the microwave, but it's worth it!

My wife even used it to heat some left over dinner rolls -- it's like they were fresh baked!

Comment

I had one for a while. Then I realized they are basically just repackaged toaster ovens. But you can fit more food in a toaster oven. So I gave away my air fryer and got a Black and Decker convection toaster oven. Does exactly the same thing, except it cooks with a heating element instead of a tungsten light bulb like my air fryer used.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I had one for a while. Then I realized they are basically just repackaged toaster ovens. But you can fit more food in a toaster oven. So I gave away my air fryer and got a Black and Decker toaster oven. Does exactly the same thing, except it cooks with a heating element instead of a tungsten light bulb like my air fryer used.
            The difference is that the air fryer is, in effect, a high speed convection oven. I like my toaster oven for hamburger buns and stuff like that.

Comment

We have a countertop pizza oven. I wonder if we could cook fries on that.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                The difference is that the air fryer is, in effect, a high speed convection oven. I like my toaster oven for hamburger buns and stuff like that.
                My toaster oven cooks just as fast as the air fryer did, it even has air circulation. The only difference is it takes a few minutes to preheat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  My toaster oven cooks just as fast as the air fryer did, it even has air circulation. The only difference is it takes a few minutes to preheat.
                  I guess it's a matter of personal taste, then -- we have both, and they each have their pluses.

Comment

I don't have either! So which one should I get!

Used to have a toaster oven, like 30 years ago. It wasn't much good for anything. Are they better now?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I guess it's a matter of personal taste, then -- we have both, and they each have their pluses.
                      You need to do a comparison test! Then post the results here.

Do french fries and fish filets. Compare the cooking time and results. Which are crisper? Tastier?

We need a published study!

Maybe you can get Starlight to co-author it with you so it will be scientific like.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Used to have a toaster oven, like 30 years ago. It wasn't much good for anything. Are they better now?
                        The thing that makes the newer toaster ovens better than the old ones is, like Sparko said, the convection factor. Hot air circulating around the food while it cooks. To me, the Air Fryer just does a much better job at "blasting" the food with hot air, cooking it more evenly.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I find my toaster oven is great for making most things I would normally do in an oven. They heat up much faster than an oven does. Not good for big batches though.

I find they are worse than regular toasters for toasting though. They work on thick things like bagels though that you can't fit in a regular toaster, but they are way slower than a regular toaster at just toasting.

I got a black and decker toaster over with a convection fan and digital control panel so you can set precise temperatures and times.

This one:

https://www.amazon.ca/BLACK-DECKER-C...r+toaster+oven

The air fryer doesn't fit as much in it as a toaster oven, but it does have more vertical space since it uses a basket instead of a tray.

Comment

My toaster oven does bagels very well. And biscuits etc. Since it's just me, I don't use the oven much. I've thought about the cooking ahead for the week, but again it's just me. Now and then I bake biscuits and then keep in fridge for little sandwiches but that's it. But I do want to do little pizzas and convection is great for that.
                            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

yeah the toaster oven won't do anything you can't do in a regular oven. It just warms up faster.

Comment