Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Corrosion of Conservatism

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I'm sure some do. But Max's point (and others as well) is not specifically about Trump being or not being conservative, but rather the almost wholesale embrace of Trump by conservatives. He has a massive approval rating by Republicans and conservatives in general, and there is very little calling out of his more immoral/amoral proclivities. And there is a lot of ignoring of some pretty un-conservative actions (e.g., undermining the intelligence community, undermining the justice system, etc.).
    Oh, I get it now, this is just another "Trump supporters aren't Real ChristiansTM" rant.

Well, carry on.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Oh, I get it now, this is just another "Trump supporters aren't Real ChristiansTM" rant.

Well, carry on.
    Exactly where did I say the word "Christian?"

And when did a question become a rant?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My reaction to this so-called conservative CFR member's change of view on 'conservatism' is that he already is way to political in a negative way. The CFR seems to be a manipulative organization with destructive tendencies. So I would think his real complaint is that Trump is interfering with the CFR's plans -- therefore he is not 'conservative.'

If there was something more than hearsay evidence, there might have been basis to build an argument against Trump. I don't know if Trump will truly bring good results to America. But I do recognize that people in America have been made overly critical of each other for umpteen years. We have to unify ... put aside many ways that we have been overly sensitized to things that other people say and do. This unity must be achieved despite what the newspapers and politicians do in their effort to divide Americans -- to make every group an enemy of the other.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I can hardly bear to skim through lies or extravagant ignorance such as this "'Wait a second, the Republican coalition is not what I thought it was, there are not people who are necessarily thrilling to the ideas that are formulated by policy analysts like me.' A lot of them were simply looking for a party that would bash minorities, that would bash immigrants."

To claim that this is anything representative of 'conservatives' seems like a waste of breath. The Democrats spout this lie in a fashion seeking to divide the nation. Most of the Republicans in the House and Senate sit there quietly while letting the nation fester in such lies. I can understand that there are people who have suffered racism from Democrats and, even, Republicans. I hope that such people can be healed. But we don't need the media reopening and poring salt on the wounds.

Please, have a heart for the nation and its people.

5. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    My reaction to this so-called conservative CFR member's change of view on 'conservatism' is that he already is way to political in a negative way. The CFR seems to be a manipulative organization with destructive tendencies. So I would think his real complaint is that Trump is interfering with the CFR's plans -- therefore he is not 'conservative.'

If there was something more than hearsay evidence, there might have been basis to build an argument against Trump. I don't know if Trump will truly bring good results to America. But I do recognize that people in America have been made overly critical of each other for umpteen years. We have to unify ... put aside many ways that we have been overly sensitized to things that other people say and do. This unity must be achieved despite what the newspapers and politicians do in their effort to divide Americans -- to make every group an enemy of the other.
    It might help if we actually had a president who unified.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    It might help if we actually had a president who unified.
    It might help if we had regular people in this country who are willing to unify. Don't be driven by the press. I am making a plea here that is trying to go beyond the pressures to divide.

There is a lot of stupidity going on in this world right now. If I were wishing to follow that path, I would be pointing out the details of that instead of pushing for unity.

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are people under the impression that Donald Trump defines conservativism or that he is a quintessential conservative politician? Because that has never been my impression.
    No, but for some reason, Republicans are drawn to Trump like flys to “horsie poo”.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There is a good Rachel podcast archive on ART19. For those who want to know what’s really going on.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are people under the impression that Donald Trump defines conservativism or that he is a quintessential conservative politician? Because that has never been my impression.
    No, that is not case, but the conservatives sold out their moral and ethical base to support Donald tRump foe a religious agenda.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    It might help if we had regular people in this country who are willing to unify. Don't be driven by the press. I am making a plea here that is trying to go beyond the pressures to divide.

There is a lot of stupidity going on in this world right now. If I were wishing to follow that path, I would be pointing out the details of that instead of pushing for unity.
    Mike - the press does not dictate my political opinions. I approach the press with a dubious eye - and double check most of what I read/see. You are making an assumption that is simply inaccurate. And there is nothing wrong with people having different views. That will always be the case. What is broken today is this view by the extremists on both sides that "compromise" is a dirty word. As the number of extremists on both sides climb - that view dominates the political discussion.

And the entire situation is made worse by having a leader in the white house who thrives on dissension, strives to divide instead of unifying, and functions in such a generally immoral/amoral fashion. We are stuck with that reality until we can get that man out of that office and (hopefully) elect someone who is actually capable of reaching across the aisle.