Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Corrosion of Conservatism

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The Corrosion of Conservatism

I have been seeing/hearing more and more of this kind of sentiment from many former Republicans, some of whom no longer even want to use the term "conservative." Most associate their "awakening" with the rise of Donald Trump and the resulting changes in the Republican party.

I am curious to know if any of the people here, who self-identify as conservative, have had any similar reactions since 2015? Even in part?

The podcast is worth a listen, IMO. It speaks to those on the right who had a similar reaction to Trump that many on the left had.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I used to be a far right conservative. I experienced a generalized and slowapostasy away from conservative politics but the nail in the coffin for me was the evangelical sellout to Romney.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are people under the impression that Donald Trump defines conservativism or that he is a quintessential conservative politician? Because that has never been my impression.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

4. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    I used to be a far right conservative. I experienced a generalized and slowapostasy away from conservative politics but the nail in the coffin for me was the evangelical sellout to Romney.
    To Romney? I have to admit that surprises me. So I presume Trump is the 12" lag on the coffin?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Are people under the impression that Donald Trump defines conservativism or that he is a quintessential conservative politician? Because that has never been my impression.
    I'm sure some do. But Max's point (and others as well) is not specifically about Trump being or not being conservative, but rather the almost wholesale embrace of Trump by conservatives. He has a massive approval rating by Republicans and conservatives in general, and there is very little calling out of his more immoral/amoral proclivities. And there is a lot of ignoring of some pretty un-conservative actions (e.g., undermining the intelligence community, undermining the justice system, etc.).

-Martin Luther King

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    To Romney? I have to admit that surprises me. So I presume Trump is the 12" lag on the coffin?
    More like the shot-gun blast to the face of the rotting corpse of the republican party.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    More like the shot-gun blast to the face of the rotting corpse of the republican party.
    OK... that made me snort coffee up my nose...

But I do agree that the Grand Old Party has fallen a long, long way. Lincoln and Roosevelt would probably not be impressed.
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-31-2019 at 03:39 PM.

-Martin Luther King

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm sure some do. But Max's point (and others as well) is not specifically about Trump being or not being conservative, but rather the almost wholesale embrace of Trump by conservatives. He has a massive approval rating by Republicans and conservatives in general, and there is very little calling out of his more immoral/amoral proclivities. And there is a lot of ignoring of some pretty un-conservative actions (e.g., undermining the intelligence community, undermining the justice system, etc.).
    I don't care about any of his personal "moral" issues that occurred before his Presidency.

I have a lot of libertarian leanings, so I am more skeptical of the "intelligence" community, justice system, etc. than many "conservatives" seem to be.

And in all cases, the general insanity he provokes from both the left and the never-Trumpers on the "right" strengthens his appeal to me.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I don't care about any of his personal "moral" issues that occurred before his Presidency.
    You don't think they speak to the kind of person he is? What about the things he did during the campaign? And what about the fact that he continues to lie about all of them during his presidency? These things don't bother you at all?

I have a lot of libertarian leanings, so I am more skeptical of the "intelligence" community, justice system, etc. than many "conservatives" seem to be.
    Fair enough.

And in all cases, the general insanity he provokes from both the left and the never-Trumpers on the "right" strengthens his appeal to me.
    That's an interesting metric to use to assess a president.

-Martin Luther King

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have been seeing/hearing more and more of this kind of sentiment from many former Republicans, some of whom no longer even want to use the term "conservative." Most associate their "awakening" with the rise of Donald Trump and the resulting changes in the Republican party.

I am curious to know if any of the people here, who self-identify as conservative, have had any similar reactions since 2015? Even in part?

The podcast is worth a listen, IMO. It speaks to those on the right who had a similar reaction to Trump that many on the left had.
    Was there anything that you think was noteworthy in the stuff you posted?

How come you are so intent on finding people that say bad stuff about the president?

How come the material you find makes Trump seem like a saint compared to previous presidents?

12. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.