Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Corrosion of Conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The second one, for example... "He calls names and strikes out for vengeance endlessly"... that's obviously a slight exaggeration. Had you said "routinely"...
    Ok - granted....it is endless (so far).

The point is, the man takes pride in "getting even" and models the behavior continuously - for even the most petty of things.

Fortunately, in the position he currently occupies, he doesn't stand a chance of taking pot shots at everyone who speaks ill of (or does ill to) him....
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Ok - granted....it is endless (so far).

The point is, the man takes pride in "getting even" and models the behavior continuously - for even the most petty of things.
      Yes, he needs to take lessons from the Clintons on how to be much more subtle in his 'getting even'.

Fortunately, in the position he currently occupies, he doesn't stand a chance of taking pot shots at everyone who speaks ill of (or does ill to) him....
      And I'm ready for him to be gone.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes, he needs to take lessons from the Clintons on how to be much more subtle in his 'getting even'.
        I'm unaware of this behavior.

And I'm ready for him to be gone.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I'm unaware of this behavior.
          I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I say.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Don't get your panties in a wad....

Comment

Don't get your panties in a wad....
              My panties are incapable of being in a wad, unless I'm not wearing them.

Comment

You really need to save the link so you can do it yourself

Still one of the best movies ever made.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  You really need to save the link so you can do it yourself

Still one of the best movies ever made.
                  But it gives me such joy to see you jump to my aid in a time of need!!!

Comment

My panties are incapable of being in a wad, unless I'm not wearing them.

Comment

Wow, Sparko. Really?
                      • He paid off two prostitutes during his campaign and lied about it.
                      • He calls names and strikes out for vengeance endlessly
                      • He models bullying and ridicule for anyone to see
                      • He lies at the drop of a hat - repeatedly and often
                      • He has subverted our relationship with critical allies, putting national security at risk
                      • He has cozied-up to strongman dictators, praising them, and even saluting their generals (I would have loved to see the purple faces if Obama had ever done such a thing)
                      • His prioritizing of money over justice related to Khashoggi's murder
                      • He is a threat to the entire world by his refusal to even look at our current climate situation
                      • His policy of separating children from their parents at the southern border - and thousands of children remain separated.
                      • His knee-jerk military decisions in Syria and the middle east.
                      • His handling of the Charlottesville incident
                      • His continual undermining of the 4th Estate

I could continue...but I suspect each and every one will be excused away (and I'm sure some of them you are even proud of), so I'm not sure why I should bother. And I am not sure why "during his presidency" is the boundary? He has been misogynistic for most of his public career. He has cheated on three wives. He has made repugnant comments about his own daughter. He has lied, cheated and bullied his way through his businesses. The list just goes on and on.

No - but I will admit that Trump is highly gifted at "spinning" what he says to be almost anything he wants. He plays with language like no politician I have ever seen - and his base accepts every "spin" as gospel and laps it up.

That we know of...yet.

Horse hockey. I'm not so gullible, Sparko. Trump inherited an economy well on its way to repair, and goosed it with the nitrous of a tax bill for the rich and businesses. We are already seeing that nitrous petering out, and the entire thing was at the cost of $1T in additional deficit spending. Anyone can "superheat" an economy by pumping $1T worth of borrowed dollars into it. Your "great economy," which is showing every sign of beginning to cool is going to be paid for by our grandchildren and their children.

Who he put on SCOTUS has nothing to do with it. It's not even on my list. The wall has nothing to do with it. Not even on my list.
                      Wow, so most of what you listed is either personal issues or stuff that happened before the election. I never said he was a great person. I asked for "What evil has Trump committed that we should take him to account since being President?"

The child thing was a law already on the books. The children were supposed to be tracked, heck none of that was Trump's personal fault. Blame the Border Patrol for how they handled it and the Democrats for passing the laws. Trump just enforced them. The rest of your list is petty disagreements with his "handling" of various things that you don't agree with.

I will ask again:

What evil has Trump committed that we should take him to account since being President?

And I am talking official acts as President, not him being mean to people or not doing things the way you like.

EVIL ACTIONS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Wow, so most of what you listed is either personal issues or stuff that happened before the election.
                        Yes - and I don't share your "election" boundary. The man is who the man is.

I never said he was a great person. I asked for "What evil has Trump committed that we should take him to account since being President?"
                        My reasons are not limited to "since he became president." His character has been evident for anyone to see for decades.

The child thing was a law already on the books.
                        Horse crap. Two other presidents made a different decision and found ways that were in compliance with the laws. Sorry, Sparko, but this particular "Trump apologetic is bunk from the outset.

The children were supposed to be tracked, heck none of that was Trump's personal fault.
                        Again, horse crap. NO tracking mechanism was ever made. Indeed, the one thing that COULD have helped track them (the IDs assigned to families when they are captured) was intentionally broken (separated children were assigned new IDs), breaking the link between parent and child.

Blame the Border Patrol for how they handled it and the Democrats for passing the laws. Trump just enforced them.
                        Again, horse crap. A fish rots from the head. Trump set the tone. But I'll be sure to send Trump a nice plaque for his desk: "The Buck Stops There." Maybe we can make it point to Pelosi or something.

The rest of your list is petty disagreements with his "handling" of various things that you don't agree with.
                        A great deal of my list is personal disagreements with who he is as a person. I have to ask, "so what?"

I will ask again:

What evil has Trump committed that we should take him to account since being President?

And I am talking official acts as President, not him being mean to people or not doing things the way you like.

EVIL ACTIONS.
                        You have my list. I'm not going to buy into your arbitrary boundary - and I'm not going to eliminate things because you don't like that I happen to have that opinion.

Comment

What really is the point of this or any other "conversation" involving Carp? Isn't it clear by now that his perspective is so fundamentally different from that of conservatives, and that both sides are so immutable, that genuine dialogue is impossible?
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            What really is the point of this or any other "conversation" involving Carp? Isn't it clear by now that his perspective is so fundamentally different from that of conservatives, and that both sides are so immutable, that genuine dialogue is impossible?
                            I don't get the point of accepting any moral criticism from someone who believes morals are subjective; especially when he denies that belief in practice. I really can see no reason to care what Carpe thinks of Trump's morality. Given Carpe's views on morality, I can't understand why he thinks we should care what he approves or disapproves of, except insofar as he has power to impose his morals on others.
                            ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              I would like to hope that is not the case - but it is certainly a possibility - at least for some topics.

I've found that the conversations go extremely well - as long as I'm agreeing with folks. Unfortunately, the things I lean right on are not commonly part of the conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                                I don't get the point of accepting any moral criticism from someone who believes morals are subjective; especially when he denies that belief in practice.
                                This is curious. I'd like to know how you perceive me "denying that belief in practice."

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                                I really can see no reason to care what Carpe thinks of Trump's morality. Given Carpe's views on morality, I can't understand why he thinks we should care what he approves or disapproves of, except insofar as he has power to impose his morals on others.
                                I make the assumption that people have at least some ability to reason morally. So do - some don't. As was discussed with Seer, an unfortunate number of people are in a "follow the herd" morality model, so discussion does becomes close to impossible. I've largely come to that conclusion with Seer. I'm sure he sees it differently.

Comment