Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Corrosion of Conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It's sort of like when someone gets a pie in the face, and he says, "I don't think that's very funny!" while everybody around him is roaring with laughter.
    Think about that for a second...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Think about that for a second...
      You mean put more thought into it than you did?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You mean put more thought into it than you did?
        No - just a little thought on your part might get you there...

(hint: I'm generally of the opinion that, if the person who is the butt of a joke doesn't think it's funny, then it's really not funny.)
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I'm generally of the opinion that, if the person who is the butt of a joke doesn't think it's funny, then it's really not funny.
          I don't have any general opinion about it one way or another.

Comment

I don't have any general opinion about it one way or another.
            I'm not particularly surprised...

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              No, that is not case, but the conservatives sold out their moral and ethical base to support Donald tRump foe a religious agenda.
              And some of them still don't understand that they have bought something of limited worth at the price of something (moral values and moral integrity among others) of unlimited worth. Pretty bad deal.
              Last edited by Charles; 02-01-2019, 02:25 PM.
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                And some of them still don't understand that they have bought something of limited worth at the of values of unlimited worth. Pretty bad deal.
                This reference I don't understand. What is the "value of unlimited worth?"

Comment

This reference I don't understand. What is the "value of unlimited worth?"
                  Edited the text a bit. Hope it is better now.
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Edited the text a bit. Hope it is better now.
                    Not really.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And some of them still don't understand that they have bought something of limited worth at the price of something (moral values and moral integrity among others) of unlimited worth. Pretty bad deal.
                      No. the other choice (Hillary) was even more immoral and had less integrity.

Comment

I'm not particularly surprised...
                        I'm not surprised that you're not surprised...

And now this is starting to remind me of a Marx Bros. routine where Chico is playing an annoyingly repetitive song on the piano and says, "I can't think of the ending." Groucho says, "That's funny, that's all I can think of."

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          This is what amazes me - that these ... um... people... can't seem to fathom that the choice was rather binary, and given the information we had at the time, Hillary and her culture of death was a much WORSE choice for us. I think they're just so anit-Trump that their thinking is corrupt on this.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I'm still waiting for someone to tell us Christian what the morally "acceptable" choice would have been.

Comment

I'm not surprised that you're not surprised...

And now this is starting to remind me of a Marx Bros. routine where Chico is playing an annoyingly repetitive song on the piano and says, "I can't think of the ending." Groucho says, "That's funny, that's all I can think of."
                              I'm not surprised that you're not surprised that I'm not surprised...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                This is what amazes me - that these ... um... people... can't seem to fathom that the choice was rather binary, and given the information we had at the time, Hillary and her culture of death was a much WORSE choice for us. I think they're just so anit-Trump that their thinking is corrupt on this.
                                Speaking just for myself - I understand the initial vote.

What I don't understand is the blind, accepting, cheering, ongoing support from so much of his base. I would think the moral approach would be, "accept the least of two evils, then hold the 'evil' you accepted to account."

The second half doesn't seem to be happening.

This is why I say what I say about citizenship. I understand it happening once - as a consequence of circumstance and even knee-jerk anger. But if we re-elect the same vile man twice, when there are so many possible alternatives, then this is no longer the country I grew up in.

Comment