Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: Bishops and Apostles

  1. #1
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,382
    Amen (Given)
    10098
    Amen (Received)
    22565

    Bishops and Apostles

    I'm encountering more and more "Bishops" and "Apostles" who appear to be pretty much self-appointed as such.

    Recently, I had a guy ask to speak at our Ministerial Association, and noted he identifies as "Apostle [firstname lastname]"

    That just feels really weird.

  2. #2
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    18,712
    Amen (Given)
    14026
    Amen (Received)
    8282
    It's heresy. You can bet they'll be forthcoming with "new revelation".

    (At least the Apostle part, anyway.)

    Do a search on the NAR -- New Apostoloc Reformation.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  3. Amen Cow Poke, Bill the Cat amen'd this post.
  4. #3
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44,616
    Amen (Given)
    4216
    Amen (Received)
    20079
    I blame the Internetwebz.

    It allows kooks to find a platform to spew their nonsense and even get an audience which just encourages them in real life.

  5. #4
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44,616
    Amen (Given)
    4216
    Amen (Received)
    20079
    So what did you tell Mr. Apostle [firstname lastname]?

  6. #5
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,382
    Amen (Given)
    10098
    Amen (Received)
    22565
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    So what did you tell Mr. Apostle [firstname lastname]?
    In this case, he was on the agenda to speak because the previous president (I'm now president of the association) had invited him, and I inherited that agenda. He failed to show, so if he tries again, I'll just politely tell him he had his chance, and wasn't gracious enough to notify us he wouldn't be there.

    I actually had a meeting with our VP, secretary and treasurer to agree that we'll use those offices (the four of us) as an executive committee to approve or decline any requests to address our group. The others agree we don't really need to hear from an "Apostle" without a really good reason.

  7. #6
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    18,712
    Amen (Given)
    14026
    Amen (Received)
    8282
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    In this case, he was on the agenda to speak because the previous president (I'm now president of the association) had invited him, and I inherited that agenda. He failed to show, so if he tries again, I'll just politely tell him he had his chance, and wasn't gracious enough to notify us he wouldn't be there.

    I actually had a meeting with our VP, secretary and treasurer to agree that we'll use those offices (the four of us) as an executive committee to approve or decline any requests to address our group. The others agree we don't really need to hear from an "Apostle" without a really good reason.

    Yeah. Unless his name is Paul of Tarsus, I wouldn't bother letting him come and speak.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  8. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  9. #7
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,382
    Amen (Given)
    10098
    Amen (Received)
    22565
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Yeah. Unless his name is Paul of Tarsus, I wouldn't bother letting him come and speak.
    Well, not just if his NAME is Paul of Tarsus -- he has to be the REAL Paul of Tarsus. I wouldn't put it past some of these 'gentlemen' to take on that name. After all, back in my police days, I even arrested Jesus for vagrancy.



    (And, no, not just some guy named Jesus, but a guy who claimed to BE Jesus, dressed and groomed for the part)

  10. #8
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    18,712
    Amen (Given)
    14026
    Amen (Received)
    8282
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Well, not just if his NAME is Paul of Tarsus -- he has to be the REAL Paul of Tarsus.
    Good point.

    I wouldn't put it past some of these 'gentlemen' to take on that name. After all, back in my police days, I even arrested Jesus for vagrancy.
    Wow! You're tough!


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  11. #9
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,382
    Amen (Given)
    10098
    Amen (Received)
    22565
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Wow! You're tough!
    I was treading very carefully "just in case".

  12. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
  13. #10
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44,616
    Amen (Given)
    4216
    Amen (Received)
    20079
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I was treading very carefully "just in case".
    You could have cut off your ear and see if he would heal it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •