Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bishops and Apostles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to Philippians 2:19-23, Timothy is one of Paul's most notable disciples, but is called a preacher.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I don't think Timothy was actually ever called an apostle in scripture, but a pastor.

Somebody prove me wrong.
      No one but Jesus was ever actually called "pastor" or "shepherd."

Since we're straining at gnats.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Ephesians 4

11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,

12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;

Apostle here is a term used particularly of the 12 disciples who had seen the risen Christ. Please see my previous post on Acts 1. This include Matthias. Paul was set apart later as the Apostle to the Gentiles and was numbered with the other Apostles.

All of these Apostles were chosen by Christ, including Paul, so as to be called "apostles of Christ", Galatians 1:1

Paul, an apostle—not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead—

And 1 Peter 1:1

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

Galatians 1

15 But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace,

16 was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles,

Back to Ephesians, the apostles were given the jobs of laying the foundation of the church, 2:20

built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone,

to receive, declare and write God's word, 3:5,

which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit.

and to give confirmation of the word through signs and wonders and miracles. 2 Corinthians 12:12

The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with utmost patience, with signs and wonders and mighty works.

As for others, such as Timothy and Barnabas and Silas, etc., they are called "apostles of the churches" instead of "apostles of Christ",

2 Cor. 8:23

As for Titus, he is my partner and fellow worker for your benefit. And as for our brothers, they are messengers of the churches, the glory of Christ.

Now, since I posted earlier about Timothy not being called an apostle, I have come across 1 Thessalonians 2:6,

Nor did we seek glory from people, whether from you or from others, though we could have made demands as apostles of Christ.

So, I will concede that Timothy was a small-a apostle, one of those in the latter category of "apostle of the churches".

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

...because it was a role, not a formal title used in the early church - doubtless why protestants decided they could use it. It was clearly assigned to at least Peter (John 21).
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The primary proofs are Acts 14:14 and 1 Thess. 1:1 with 2:7. These show that Barnabas, Silvanus, and Timothy were all apostles in the same class as Paul.

Rom. 16:7 shows Andronicus and Junia were apostles in some sense, but not necessarily in the same sense as Paul.

One could easily infer from Eph. 4:10-14 and 1 Cor. 12:28 in the whole context of 1 Cor. 12-14 that all gifts including apostles will remain until the Lord's return, but even if that is not the case, Scripture clearly shows the existence of apostles later than Paul.

Honestly, it baffles me that people keep trotting out the "Paul was the last apostle" trope.

Romans 16:7 English Standard Version (ESV)

Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles, and they were in Christ before me.

It just says they were well known TO the apostles, not that they were apostles.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Romans 16:7 English Standard Version (ESV)

Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles, and they were in Christ before me.

It just says they were well known TO the apostles, not that they were apostles.
              Yeah, Darby renders it - Salute Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen and fellow-captives, who are of note among the apostles; who were also in Christ before me.
              And Young's Literal - salute Andronicus and Junias, my kindred, and my fellow-captives, who are of note among the apostles, who also have been in Christ before me.
              And CSB - Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews and fellow prisoners. They are noteworthy in the eyes of the apostles, and they were also in Christ before me.

They were, apparently, Christians before Saul became a Christian, and were well known among the Apostles.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think that instead of arguing over whether there WERE apostles and other titles in the primitive church, we should get back to focusing on the independent "church" charlatans today who have no authority to claim the titles and no accountability above them.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  I think that instead of arguing over whether there WERE apostles and other titles in the primitive church, we should get back to focusing on the independent "church" charlatans today who have no authority to claim the titles and no accountability above them.
                  As a non-Protestant, I think I'll bow out then - because in my tradition, anyone claiming the title today would be rejected out of hand (as would bishops without proper provenance).
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I think arguing over whether there WERE apostles and other titles in the primitive church, we should get back to focusing on the independent "church" charlatans today who have no authority to claim the titles and no accountability above them.
                    Agreed, I was kinda surprised that it turned into a.... yes.

I mentioned this "modern day Apostle" thing in Sunday School yesterday, and it was pointed out that yet another local pastor had assumed the name "Apostle", and they got a new sign in front of their church noting that change. I happen to know that his church is a "full gospel" church not affiliated with any particular denomination or hierarchy, so it appears this title was either self appointed, or his own congregation anointed him thusly.

I'll see him next Thursday and I'll ask him about it.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      As a non-Protestant, I think I'll bow out then - because in my tradition, anyone claiming the title today would be rejected out of hand (as would bishops without proper provenance).
                      I don't think you should bow out -- I think that's worthwhile input! And to the point.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          I don't think you'd get much disagreement from a great deal of Protestants here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Yeah, Darby renders it - Salute Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen and fellow-captives, who are of note among the apostles; who were also in Christ before me.
                            And Young's Literal - salute Andronicus and Junias, my kindred, and my fellow-captives, who are of note among the apostles, who also have been in Christ before me.
                            And CSB - Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews and fellow prisoners. They are noteworthy in the eyes of the apostles, and they were also in Christ before me.

They were, apparently, Christians before Saul became a Christian, and were well known among the Apostles.
                            "of note" means "known by" or "acknowledged"

I am not too sure about Slyvius and crew in 1 Thess either. He just mentions the letter is from them and then uses "we" a lot, and mentions apostles (in 2:6 not 2:7)

6 Nor did we seek glory from people, whether from you or from others, though we could have made demands as apostles of Christ.

He could have just meant that he was the apostle and as they were with him, they all could have made demands as one. Or he could have been using a royal "we". But you really have to read between the lines to get your conclusion. It is not spelled out clearly.

Comment

One requirement to being an Apostle is that the other original Apostles had to acknowledge it and accept him. That is what happened with Paul and I would argue with Barnabas and any other apostle in the NT. Anyone trying to claim to being an apostle today would not be approved by any original Apostle.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                "of note" means "known by" or "acknowledged"
                                Yeah, "of note". Well known by, respected by...

Comment