Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Breaking news ... Walls do work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joel View Post
    I cut through a small steel bar with a hack saw just last week, for a project I'm working on. It was much faster going than I had imagined that it would be.
    It really depends on the steel and the construction --- some prison bars, for example, have a hollow core in which there's a ceramic (or other material) "roller" bar --- once your hacksaw cuts through the "skin" of the bar, it simply rolls the inner cylindrical bar around, and no further cutting action is accomplished.

Then again, you can always string your lamp cord from the exposed bare bulb in your cell and short out the ... nevermind - that's McGyver stuff.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      It really depends on the steel and the construction --- some prison bars, for example, have a hollow core in which there's a ceramic (or other material) "roller" bar --- once your hacksaw cuts through the "skin" of the bar, it simply rolls the inner cylindrical bar around, and no further cutting action is accomplished.

Then again, you can always string your lamp cord from the exposed bare bulb in your cell and short out the ... nevermind - that's McGyver stuff.
      Oh, that roller bar is an interesting idea. Maybe if you had two hacksaws and cut simultaneously on opposite sides of the bar, then at least one of the saws would cut into the roller bar? But where are you going to find two hacksaws in prison?

My steel bar was from Home Depot. I don't know the particular composition of the steel.

Comment

Oh, that roller bar is an interesting idea. Maybe if you had two hacksaws and cut simultaneously on opposite sides of the bar, then at least one of the saws would cut into the roller bar? But where are you going to find two hacksaws in prison?

My steel bar was from Home Depot. I don't know the particular composition of the steel.
        Yeah, there is a whole range of steel in various hardnesses, carbon content, and alloys. Again, I'd like more detail from Trump on what exactly is being proposed, so....
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Have you ever cut through a piece of steel, with a hack saw?
          Not trying to argue by weblink...but you really should read the story and look at the images. DHS did the testing of their own wall.

That's not an argument for not building ANY wall, mind you. But no wall is impenetrable and no wall will do the job by itself. As I have said multiple times: strategic segments where the data supports their use and no other alternative can be shown to be better and less expensive.

Trump's lack of details is his problem. The Dems adamant "no new wall" is their problem. Entrenched positions are seldom useful.
          Last edited by carpedm9587; 02-04-2019, 07:16 PM.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I'm no Democrat, but this is a main concern I have. The above information suggests that crossings shift to where they are easiest, which makes sense. It doesn't imply that total crossings decreased. I recall seeing a challenge where a section of wall was built to the specifications of G. W. Bush's wall proposal, and people were challenged to get past it, whether digging under, cutting through, or climbing over. And in each case they got past the wall in about 2 minutes. (And then subsequent people could be even faster if it has already been dug under or cut through.) It seems not worth spending billions to merely delay people by a couple minutes.
            Osmosis will continue so long as the quality of life differential is great enough. We can put obstacles in the way - but we are treating the symptom - not the problem. The problem is quality of life disparity between where they are and where we are.

Address the problem, and we reduce/eliminate the attraction. We would also be acting in a humanitarian fashion: lifting up the poor and disadvantaged, instead of denigrating and disparaging them.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              Not trying to argue by weblink...but you really should read the story and look at the images. DHS did the testing of their own wall.

That's not an argument for not building ANY wall, mind you. But no wall is impenetrable and no wall will do the job by itself. As I have said multiple times: strategic segments where the data supports their use and no other alternative can be shown to be better and less expensive.

Trump's lack of details is his problem. The Dems adamant "no new wall" is their problem. Entrenched positions are seldom useful.
              There is very little here with which I can vehemently disagree and which is not totally devoid of some semblance of truth.

Comment

Ya know, I can't figure....
                Obviously!

Speaker Nancy Pelosi is asked whether Democrats would be willing to put "even a dollar" toward funding a border wall. Pelosi laughingly said she would give "one dollar."

"Is there a situation in which you would accept even a dollar of wall-funding for this president in order to reopen the government?" CNN's Manu Raju asked the Speaker.

"A dollar? A dollar?" she asked. "One dollar."

"A wall is an immorality. It's not who we are," she said.

source

Yeah, that really sounds like "open to discussion". Maybe in DramaQueenLand.
                https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...r-wall-1139308

Comment

Awww, that's cute... you want everybody to be just like you, DQ.

Comment

Awww, that's cute... you want everybody to be just like you, DQ.
                    Just being considerate Drama Queen, by using the vocabulary you understand best.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      Just being considerate Drama Queen, by using the vocabulary you understand best.
                      You're owning this Drama Queen thing... that's good, DQ! Shows progress!

Comment

There is very little here with which I can vehemently disagree and which is not totally devoid of some semblance of truth.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                          Osmosis will continue so long as the quality of life differential is great enough. We can put obstacles in the way - but we are treating the symptom - not the problem. The problem is quality of life disparity between where they are and where we are.
                          So, what you're saying is that we should greatly reduce the quality of life in the U.S.

Comment

So, what you're saying is that we should greatly reduce the quality of life in the U.S.
                            That would be one way of narrowing the gap...

(in case that's not clear - it's not the way I would advocate for)

Comment

You're owning this Drama Queen thing... that's good, DQ! Shows progress!
                              Oh really! It would be REAL progress if Rev DRAMA QUEEN could actually address an issue with some substantial contribution. But then, intended negative epithets are about all you've got. Sad! Now it's Rev DRAMA QUEEN'S chance for the usual response: 'There's nothing of substance to which to respond'. So predictable!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                Oh really!
                                Yes, DQ, really. And your big empty head is rolling again.

Comment