Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Va. Gov. Northam’s medical school yearbook page shows men in blackface, KKK robe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Not at all. Look at how liberals reacted to the false accusations against Roy Moore and Brett Kavanaugh.
    There is not adequate information/evidence to call those accusations "false." At best, they are "unproven."

So - speculation....
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

You're reading more into my comment than what I said or implied.
      What exactly do you think I "read in" to your post?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

What a bizarre rationalization; basically "That looks like something I would have done, but that's not me in the picture." I mean... what?
        He still chose to have the picture on his page - whether or not it's him - so still stupid and thoughtless. As for rationalizations, I've seen worse - I've seen better.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
          Am I the only one who thinks that it's kind of stupid to call for someone to resign due to an offensive picture they made 35 years ago?

Was there some kind of preexisting dissatisfaction the Democrats had with him?
          I saw an interesting discussion last night where one of the Dem strategists was bemoaning the fact that all this "Me Too" crap and "what he did 35 years ago" was coming back to bite them. After the Kavanaugh thing, and what they tried to make from his yearbook, they really had no other option. He's thinking it's time to back off 'ancient history', because people change.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I saw an interesting discussion last night where one of the Dem strategists was bemoaning the fact that all this "Me Too" crap and "what he did 35 years ago" was coming back to bite them. After the Kavanaugh thing, and what they tried to make from his yearbook, they really had no other option. He's thinking it's time to back off 'ancient history', because people change.
            They do - but if Kavanaugh actually did what he was accused of - that's a different animal, IMO. There's "stupid, unthinking, insensitive costumes" and then there's sexual assault. They are not in the same class.

That being said - it just dawns on me that this is the "medical school" year book. So I'd be very curious to how just how old he was when this picture was taken.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              They do - but if Kavanaugh actually did what he was accused of - that's a different animal, IMO. There's "stupid, unthinking, insensitive costumes" and then there's sexual assault. They are not in the same class.

That being said - it just dawns on me that this is the "medical school" year book. So I'd be very curious to how just how old he was when this picture was taken.
              Kavanaugh was a teenager - they're expected to do really dumb stuff - this guy was 25 years old and a med school graduate (or close to it).
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Looks like he's gonna fight resignation...

Virginia Governor Ralph Northam in a Saturday press conference denied appearing in a racist 1984 photograph that he on Friday apologized for, but he admitted that he did wear blackface for a Michael Jackson costume the same year.

The 59-year-old from Nassawadox admitted dressing up as the late singer, wearing similar footwear, a glove and shoe polish to look like an African-American person.

During the excruciating appearance in the Executive Mansion on Capitol Hill in Richmond, he said he later learned from a friend Seth that doing so for a dance competition was indeed inappropriate and he apologized to his friend at the time.

He was 25 when he deemed it okay to cover his face in shiny black wax at least two decades after the Civil Rights movement decried it.

Northam appeared to try to soften the offensive occasion by revealing he won the contest he did it for.

Making his revelation worse, he told attendees the reason why he only wore a 'little bit' of shoe polish was because it's difficult to remove.

'I don't know if anybody's tried this...' he said to the shocked room. But it didn't explain why he was wearing blackface to show off his dance talent during the skit.

Northam told the audience during question time: 'I have discussed this with a person of color. I apologized to him.'

Despite his revelation about donning blackface to do the Moonwalk, Northam said he felt sick after seeing the image of people wearing a Ku Klux Klan robe and blackface and would remember if he had done so.

He made the contradictory statement to a room full of people eager to know why he admitted to something he claims now not to have done, but Northam didn't manage to provide a clear explanation.

'When my staff showed me the photo in question I had seen it for the first time,' he claimed. 'I didn’t purchase the yearbook and didn’t know they appeared on my page. On a yearbook page that belongs to me. It is disgusting.'

Northam added that his former classmates backed up his belief he was not in the photo but said he didn't ever see the offending photo that emerged Friday because he didn't buy his own yearbook. He claimed he didn't ever see it after it was published either.

He jumped ahead of people being skeptical by adding: 'Many people will find this difficult to believe me.'

Comment

This is interesting...

Reminder: Ralph Northam Won After Calling Ed Gillespie Racist

On Friday, news broke that Gov. Ralph Northam (D-Va.) had a photo of him either in blackface or a Ku Klux Klan hood featured in his medical school yearbook. After a week of outrage over Northam's comments endorsing infanticide in cases of botched abortion, only this scandal finally led the governor to apologize.

Yet the news is particularly horrific because Northam ran a smear campaign against Ed Gillespie in 2017, and won the Virginia governor race after tarring Gillespie as a white nationalist. Gillespie had immediately condemned the white nationalists in Charlottesville. In a moment of supreme irony, Northam defended himself on Saturday by referencing his own denunciation of Charlottesville.

The Democrat sent out a disgusting mailer (which I received in the mail) tying both President Donald Trump and Ed Gillespie to the white nationalists in Charlottesville, Va.

Later, an ad presented Gillespie as a genocidal white supremacist. Northam reported the ad as an "in-kind" donation to his campaign.

The current governor at the time, Terry McAuliffe, accused Gillespie of having run the "most racist" campaign in Virginia history. Yes, he suggested Gillespie's campaign was more racist than the secessionist movement supporting slavery, the segregationists, and the opposition to interracial marriage. That's how ridiculous it got.

I don't know if Northam should resign over this. It seems he has decided not to. But at the very least, he should apologize to Ed Gillespie.

Comment

Kavanaugh was a teenager - they're expected to do really dumb stuff - this guy was 25 years old and a med school graduate (or close to it).
                    I might add that, in all the recent psychology courses and seminars I've attended, the accepted age for "true adulthood" is set at 24/25.

Comment

The guy should have just owned up to what he did and apologised for it instead of trying to cover up his past mistakes. Had he done that then I'd say he'd have a case to stay on as Governor, but he is obviously lying about the whole thing which I think is disqualifying. He should resign now for the good of the party.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        The guy should have just owned up to what he did and apologised for it instead of trying to cover up his past mistakes. Had he done that then I'd say he'd have a case to stay on as Governor, but he is obviously lying about the whole thing which I think is disqualifying. He should resign now for the good of the party.
                        Please note that my amen of Jim's post here is not in error.

Comment

It's true that was far more serious, but the debated issue with Kavanaugh wasn't whether such a thing should disqualify him, but whether it happened to begin with. There's no doubt that in this case, the incident actually occurred. Another difference that's notable is that there the whole issue was about whether Kavanaugh would get a promotion to the Supreme Court. Very few were arguing that he should resign his current position as a result of the controversy. I don't know if the two cases are necessarily that comparable.
                          Last edited by Terraceth; 02-02-2019, 11:36 PM.

Comment

OK - there is a BIT of a difference between someone accused of sexual assault - and someone posing in a distasteful picture. As I recall, one of the British princes went to a Halloween party in a Nazi uniform. Kids do stupid things - without a real understanding/appreciation of the larger context. But sexual assault (assuming it happened) is a different order of magnitude, IMO.
                            Ah, the old "IF TRUE...!!!" technique.

I was talking more about stuff from Kavanaugh's high school yearbook. Silly, vague stuff they tried to use against him. Governor dipwad's stuff was about 7 or 8 years later in life and more explicitly "off-color," so to speak -- and still not worthy of demanding his resignation IMO.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I might add that, in all the recent psychology courses and seminars I've attended, the accepted age for "true adulthood" is set at 24/25.
                              That's what Teh Interwebz sez.

Sounds to me like an argument for raising the minimum voting age.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

That's when they say the brain has fully matured. I'm living proof that those numbers are off.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment