Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Who Didn't See This Coming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    I referred to the multiple and major civilizations on almost all continents.

While it is difficult to try and count societies, it certainly appears that prior to the spread of Christianity and Islam that the majority of human cultures had 3-5 gender roles or the ability for people to 'opt-out' of their sex-based gender roles. Such cultural constructs were not at all 'a few isolated instances' but rather pretty pervasive across societies and continents.
    For instance from your first link:

Two-Spirit (also two spirit or, occasionally, twospirited) is a modern, pan-Indian, umbrella term used by some indigenous North Americans to describe certain people in their communities who fulfill a traditional third-gender (or other gender-variant) ceremonial role in their cultures.[1][2][3] While most people mistakenly associate the term with "LGBT Native.
    There is nothing here that says it was pervasive across native American societies, just some. And two spirit can not be applied LGBT terminology of today.

Generally I support anti-bullying rules just as I support anti-crime rules. The freedom to not be bullied and the freedom not to be victimized by crime is generally a more important freedom than the freedom to bully and to victimize people by criminal acts.
    Yes, like I said you are Orwellian, forcing people what to say. Especially in light of the fact that me calling Donna, Donna and she are factual. And it doesn't follow that if I call her Donna that therefore I intend to bully her.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      For instance from your first link:

There is nothing here that says it was pervasive across native American societies, just some. And two spirit can not be applied LGBT terminology of today.
      It need not be pervasive to validly exist. "Both heterosexual behavior and homosexual behavior are normal aspects of human sexuality. Both have been documented in many different cultures and historical eras. Despite the persistence of stereotypes that portray lesbian, gay and bisexual people as disturbed, several decades of research and clinical experience have led all mainstream medical and mental health organizations in this country to conclude that these orientations represent normal forms of human experience. Lesbian, gay and bisexual relationships are normal forms of human bonding". American Psychological Association.

Yes, like I said you are Orwellian, forcing people what to say. Especially in light of the fact that me calling Donna, Donna and she are factual. And it doesn't follow that if I call her Donna that therefore I intend to bully her.
      Legislating against discrimination in all its forms is not being forced to say anything. It is merely giving all people the right of to be accepted as who they are.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Generally I support anti-bullying rules just as I support anti-crime rules. The freedom to not be bullied and the freedom not to be victimized by crime is generally a more important freedom than the freedom to bully and to victimize people by criminal acts.
        And yet you don't see making a law so that EVERYONE is forced into accommodating a few individuals as bullying???? It's OK to bully the majority to protect a minority?

You went from it being "polite" to accommodate people's requests to making it "illegal" not to do so without even pausing to take a breath.

Comment

Gender is a social role -
          Rape is a horrible crime against persons -
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            There's nothing to say that we shouldn't apart from the religious beliefs of some.
            Well, there's common sense, but we all know that's a completely foreign concept to you.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Well, there's common sense, but we all know that's a completely foreign concept to you.
              And "we all know" that religious beliefs are about bigotry and discrimination masquerading as "common sense" to you.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

And "we all know" that religious beliefs are about bigotry and discrimination masquerading as "common sense" to you.
                Says the anti-Christian bigot Drama Queen.

Comment

Says the anti-Christian bigot Drama Queen.
                  This response is what you call "common sense" I take it. Figures!

Comment

This response is what you call "common sense" I take it. Figures!
                    Nope, merely an observation, DQ. But it's no surprise you are clueless to what "common sense" actually is.

Comment

Nope, merely an observation, DQ. But it's no surprise you are clueless to what "common sense" actually is.
                      Just as well Drama Queen, it's certainly not "common sense".

Comment

Just as well Drama Queen, it's certainly not "common sense".
                        Is this the new you, DQ? You want everybody to be like you?

Comment