Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

INF Treaty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INF Treaty

Trump lets Putin off the hook.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

More like, Trump lets US off the hook.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Putin is laughing his head off. He was believed to be breaking the treaty and has now escaped any possible sanctions. These weapons are intended to intimidate Europe. Trump has turned his back on his European allies.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Putin is laughing his head off. He was believed to be breaking the treaty and has now escaped any possible sanctions. These weapons are intended to intimidate Europe. Trump has turned his back on his European allies.
        It's bad in term of Russia/Europe/US tension. Its feels to the Europeans like we are continuing to abandon our NATO commitments. It's bad in terms of opening back up an unbridled arms race between the US and Russia. It is good in that China has no limits on its capacity to produce such missiles and has been producing them and we can't respond to their actions. With Russia producing them anyway (but perhaps at a reduced rate) I am not sure what the right decision would be. Certainly without the treaty they'll make as many as they want and as many of them as they think will give them an advantage. But I'm not sure that having hard limits on our production serves our interests if both China and Russia are continuing to produce them and we are not. It certainly would be the most scary for Europe, at the same time if they produce them and deploy them in mass, we will (or should) certainly respond in kind. We need them in Japan(Taiwan?) anyway if China is going to have them. As usual, its a nasty mess made worse by Trump being a jerk.

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Pretty much. For six-years, Russia has been thumbing its nose at a treaty put in place by the Obama administration, so what's the point of even leaving it in place?

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo:

When an agreement is so brazenly disregarded and our security is so openly threatened, we must respond. We did that last December when the United States, with strong support from all of our NATO allies, formally declared Russia in material breach of the treaty. I also then provided notice that unless Russia returned to full and verifiable compliance within 60 days, we would suspend our obligation under that treaty.

We provided Russia an ample window of time to mend its ways and for Russia to honor its commitment. Tomorrow that time runs out. Russia has refused to take any steps to return real and verifiable compliance over these 60 days.

The United States will therefore suspend its obligations under the INF Treaty effective February 2nd. We will provide Russia and the other treaty parties with formal notice that the United States is withdrawing from the INF Treaty effective in six months, pursuant to Article 15 of the treaty.

Russia has jeopardized the United States security interest, and we can no longer be restricted by the treaty while Russia shamelessly violates it. If Russia does not return to full and verifiable compliance with the treaty within this six-month period by verifiably destroying its INF-violating missiles, their launchers, and associated equipment, the treaty will terminate.

Before I close, I want to give a special thanks to our NATO allies who have stood with us in our mission to uphold the rule of law and protect our people. Their solidarity reflects the historical strength and unity of the NATO alliance. Their support is good for our shared security, it’s good for trans-Atlantic unity, and it’s good for international peace and security. President Trump is grateful for all that you have done.

The United States is hopeful that we can put our relationship with Russia back on a better footing, but the onus is on Russia to change course from a pattern of destabilizing activity, not just on this issue but on many others as well. The United States stands ready to engage with Russia on arms control negotiations that advance U.S. and allied and partners’ security, and are verifiable and enforceable. It must also include all the partners that must all responsibly comply with their obligations. As we remain hopeful of a fundamental shift in Russia’s posture, the United States will continue to do what is best for our people and those of our allies.

Responding to a question on whether or not this will lead to an arms-race with Russia:

Well, the very risk that you identified is the one that we are suffering from today. The Russians are in violation of the agreement. That is, their commitment – this agreement that’s been in place for an awfully long time – the Russians have been violating. That is, they have begun to move towards what it is – that risk you actually have just identified. And you heard me this morning: We’ll continue to have conversations with them. We hope they’ll come back into compliance. We’ve had conversations at every level, at the senior levels, at technical levels, conversations about the nature of these systems. There’s no mistaking that the Russians have chosen to not comply with this treaty and present the risk of continued arms growth in a way that they had committed to back when they signed this treaty that they would not do, and if you just have one party to a treaty complying, you’re down the path that you describe.

But ... it does no good to sign an agreement if a party’s not going to comply with it. The piece of paper, if it’s not being complied with, is – doesn’t reduce the risk, it doesn’t take down that threat.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...to-inf-treaty/
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Putin is laughing his head off. He was believed to be breaking the treaty and has now escaped any possible sanctions.
            Oh, sanctions. I'm sure those had Putin shaking in his boots.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Oh, sanctions. I'm sure those had Putin shaking in his boots.
              Not with his partner Trump in the White House he isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                It's bad in term of Russia/Europe/US tension. Its feels to the Europeans like we are continuing to abandon our NATO commitments. It's bad in terms of opening back up an unbridled arms race between the US and Russia. It is good in that China has no limits on its capacity to produce such missiles and has been producing them and we can't respond to their actions. With Russia producing them anyway (but perhaps at a reduced rate) I am not sure what the right decision would be. Certainly without the treaty they'll make as many as they want and as many of them as they think will give them an advantage. But I'm not sure that having hard limits on our production serves our interests if both China and Russia are continuing to produce them and we are not. It certainly would be the most scary for Europe, at the same time if they produce them and deploy them in mass, we will (or should) certainly respond in kind. We need them in Japan(Taiwan?) anyway if China is going to have them. As usual, its a nasty mess made worse by Trump being a jerk.

Jim
                This statement from NATO doesn't quite support your assessment.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Not with his partner Trump in the White House he isn't.
                  Nice attempt to ignore the broader question. Since when have sanctions caused regimes to significantly alter their goals?

sigpic

Comment

Nice attempt to ignore the broader question. Since when have sanctions caused regimes to significantly alter their goals?
                    When they hurt significantly enough. Iran agreed to the nuclear treaty in order to lift the crushing economic sanctions.

Comment

In this case, Russia was blatantly ignoring the treaty, and if the US continued to follow it, it would leave us at a military disadvantage.

Comment

When they hurt significantly enough. Iran agreed to the nuclear treaty in order to lift the crushing economic sanctions.
                        Iran agreed to the nuclear treaty because Obama gave them everything they wanted in return for an unverifiable promise.

sigpic

Comment

Iran agreed to the nuclear treaty because Obama gave them everything they wanted in return for an unverifiable promise.
                          And tens of millions of dollars in cold, hard, untraceable cash.

Comment

And they're adhering to it like an Eagle Scout, right?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

On February 2, 2019, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced Russia was also suspending the INF Treaty in a “mirror response” to President Trump’s decision, effective that day.

On February 3 Russia began work on new hypersonic missiles and adopted a policy to avoid initiating disarmament talks with the United States.

Announcing the plans, Putin threw shade at Donald Trump – suggesting he is too “immature” for meaningful talks.
                              Putin running rings around Trump.

So much for “Executive Time”.

Comment