Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's State of the Union Aims for a Unifying Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump's State of the Union Aims for a Unifying Tone

This, I gotta see!

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump heads into his State of the Union address dogged by bruising midterm losses and sinking poll numbers, wounded by a blistering standoff with Democrats. But for the stately speech, he plans to embrace unity — at least for the night.

“Choosing Greatness” is the official White House theme.

Addressing the nation at the weakest point of his presidency, Trump will seek to use the ceremonial moment to pitch a unifying vision and reset relations with Democrats. The prime-time presidential set-piece Tuesday night comes amid a bitter border wall fight that nearly derailed the speech altogether, but Trump is not expected to dwell on the rancor.

“I really think it’s going to be a speech that’s going to cover a lot of territory, but part of it’s going to be unity,” Trump told reporters this week.

While Trump may strive for a unifying tone for the evening, harsh rhetoric has been a constant of his presidency. Previous efforts by Trump to shift gears have been short-lived and have struck many as disingenuous, given the ferocity with which he often takes on Democrats. Even on Friday, Trump was going after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi by name, calling her clueless and her ideas dangerous.

In his speech, Trump is expected to highlight rare bipartisan accomplishments from last year and push Democrats to work with him on issues of potential agreement, such as infrastructure, drug prices and vocational training. Still, his recent struggles will be on full display as he addresses a room packed with Democrats and with Pelosi sitting right behind him.

Trump, who loves to build suspense, has teased that he could drop a big announcement in his speech, suggesting Friday he might make news on his threat to declare a national emergency to circumvent Congress in his quest to build his long-promised border wall.

“Well, I’m saying listen closely to the State of the Union. I think you’ll find it very exciting,” he said.

White House speechwriters and policy staffers have been working for weeks on the address, with the president offering considerable input, scribbling notes in his trademark black Sharpie scrawl on drafts of sections prepared by Stephen Miller and other top speechwriters, according to one White House official who, like some others, was not authorized to publicly discuss the speech and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Trump is expected to address the border, continuing to press his case for the wall, but he is also expected to make a bigger pitch about what he sees as his achievements to date and his plans for the rest of the term, said several people familiar with the planning.

Officials were quick to caution that the speech remains a work in progress and stressed that Trump will tinker with it until the final moments. A senior administration official said Trump will focus on five main areas: immigration, trade, infrastructure, drug pricing and national security. He will list what he sees as the dangers of illegal immigration and discuss his efforts to revise trade deals, including the updated agreement with Canada and Mexico.

The president will call on Congress to produce an infrastructure package and support efforts to lower the cost of health care and prescription drugs. And he will discuss military efforts around the world, stressing his interest in ending U.S. engagement in foreign wars.

He’s also expected to discuss the political turmoil in Venezuela and trade negotiations with China.

One early excerpt of the speech released by the White House: “Together we can break decades of political stalemate; we can bridge old divisions, heal old wounds, build new coalitions, forge new solutions, and unlock the extraordinary promise of America’s future. The decision is ours to make.”

The administration has also been teasing several other announcements, including on the president’s planned withdrawal from Syria.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a Fox News interview that the president would “make a significant announcement, I think in the State of the Union next week, with respect of the status of the caliphate, the real estate, the grounds from which (the Islamic State group) had been operating in Syria.” Trump tweeted Friday: “We will soon have destroyed 100% of the Caliphate, but will be watching them closely.”

And Trump told reporters he would probably be announcing the details of his upcoming second meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in the speech.

Trump is also expected to seize on recent headlines about late-term abortion amid recent scrutiny of the practice and will talk about “respect for human life,” according to the senior administration official.

Bill Galston, a presidential scholar at the Brookings Institution and former adviser in the Clinton administration, said Trump should look beyond his political base on Tuesday.

“He desperately needs to send a signal to the American people that his administration is open for business, that he is prepared to negotiate on a wide range of issues that might enable him to broaden support,” Galston said. He added that after Clinton’s losses in the 1994 midterm elections, his State of the Union speeches were “much more conciliatory. ... He was much more interested in overtly laying out the possibility of common ground.”

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

This, I gotta see!

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump heads into his State of the Union address dogged by bruising midterm losses and sinking poll numbers, wounded by a blistering standoff with Democrats. But for the stately speech, he plans to embrace unity — at least for the night.

“Choosing Greatness” is the official White House theme.

Addressing the nation at the weakest point of his presidency, Trump will seek to use the ceremonial moment to pitch a unifying vision and reset relations with Democrats. The prime-time presidential set-piece Tuesday night comes amid a bitter border wall fight that nearly derailed the speech altogether, but Trump is not expected to dwell on the rancor.

“I really think it’s going to be a speech that’s going to cover a lot of territory, but part of it’s going to be unity,” Trump told reporters this week.

While Trump may strive for a unifying tone for the evening, harsh rhetoric has been a constant of his presidency. Previous efforts by Trump to shift gears have been short-lived and have struck many as disingenuous, given the ferocity with which he often takes on Democrats. Even on Friday, Trump was going after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi by name, calling her clueless and her ideas dangerous.

In his speech, Trump is expected to highlight rare bipartisan accomplishments from last year and push Democrats to work with him on issues of potential agreement, such as infrastructure, drug prices and vocational training. Still, his recent struggles will be on full display as he addresses a room packed with Democrats and with Pelosi sitting right behind him.

Trump, who loves to build suspense, has teased that he could drop a big announcement in his speech, suggesting Friday he might make news on his threat to declare a national emergency to circumvent Congress in his quest to build his long-promised border wall.

“Well, I’m saying listen closely to the State of the Union. I think you’ll find it very exciting,” he said.

White House speechwriters and policy staffers have been working for weeks on the address, with the president offering considerable input, scribbling notes in his trademark black Sharpie scrawl on drafts of sections prepared by Stephen Miller and other top speechwriters, according to one White House official who, like some others, was not authorized to publicly discuss the speech and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Trump is expected to address the border, continuing to press his case for the wall, but he is also expected to make a bigger pitch about what he sees as his achievements to date and his plans for the rest of the term, said several people familiar with the planning.

Officials were quick to caution that the speech remains a work in progress and stressed that Trump will tinker with it until the final moments. A senior administration official said Trump will focus on five main areas: immigration, trade, infrastructure, drug pricing and national security. He will list what he sees as the dangers of illegal immigration and discuss his efforts to revise trade deals, including the updated agreement with Canada and Mexico.

The president will call on Congress to produce an infrastructure package and support efforts to lower the cost of health care and prescription drugs. And he will discuss military efforts around the world, stressing his interest in ending U.S. engagement in foreign wars.

He’s also expected to discuss the political turmoil in Venezuela and trade negotiations with China.

One early excerpt of the speech released by the White House: “Together we can break decades of political stalemate; we can bridge old divisions, heal old wounds, build new coalitions, forge new solutions, and unlock the extraordinary promise of America’s future. The decision is ours to make.”

The administration has also been teasing several other announcements, including on the president’s planned withdrawal from Syria.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a Fox News interview that the president would “make a significant announcement, I think in the State of the Union next week, with respect of the status of the caliphate, the real estate, the grounds from which (the Islamic State group) had been operating in Syria.” Trump tweeted Friday: “We will soon have destroyed 100% of the Caliphate, but will be watching them closely.”

And Trump told reporters he would probably be announcing the details of his upcoming second meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in the speech.

Trump is also expected to seize on recent headlines about late-term abortion amid recent scrutiny of the practice and will talk about “respect for human life,” according to the senior administration official.

Bill Galston, a presidential scholar at the Brookings Institution and former adviser in the Clinton administration, said Trump should look beyond his political base on Tuesday.

“He desperately needs to send a signal to the American people that his administration is open for business, that he is prepared to negotiate on a wide range of issues that might enable him to broaden support,” Galston said. He added that after Clinton’s losses in the 1994 midterm elections, his State of the Union speeches were “much more conciliatory. ... He was much more interested in overtly laying out the possibility of common ground.”

Given the divisive and chaotic first two years, it will take a good deal more than one speech to cause people to take any olive branches he offers seriously. "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts"

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

He might surprise us by taking out a very sharp knife and cutting off his little finger, Yazuka style, while screaming something about all the lost children.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Given the divisive and chaotic first two years, it will take a good deal more than one speech to cause people to take any olive branches he offers seriously. "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts"

Jim
        No argument.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jim
          He needs to read the following:

A fox and a scorpion both need to cross a river.
          The scorpion asks the fox for a ride on its back as it cannot swim.
          The fox refuses saying “no you’ll sting me”.
          The scorpion replies that it wouldn’t, as it would damage the both of them.
          The fox agrees and allows the scorpion to ride on it’s back.
          Half way across the river the scorpion stings the fox.
          As the poison takes effect on the fox and it starts to sink it asks the scorpion, “Why?”
          “Why did you sting me, now we are both going to die?”
          The scorpion replies, “I couldn’t help myself, it’s in my nature”.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It doesn't matter what tone Trump tries to set, liberals are going to caterwaul and reject anything he has to say before he even steps up to the podium.

Case in point:

See what I mean?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              It doesn't matter what tone Trump tries to set, liberals are going to caterwaul and reject anything he has to say before he even steps up to the podium.
              That's not fair. You have no evidence whatsoever that... they would... ever do...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nancy Pelosi has invited two transgender soldiers to the State of the Union tonight

Democrats are making a powerful statement without anyone uttering a word at the State of the Union address tonight. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will sit on the dias behind Trump; Stacey Abrams, who narrowly missed becoming Georgia’s first black woman governor, will deliver the Dems’ official response. And now White House aspirant Kamala Harris is set to deliver what’s being called a “prebuttal” address live on Facebook before the event.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

And now White House aspirant Kamala Harris is set to deliver what’s being called a “prebuttal” address live on Facebook before the event.
                  I wonder who she had to sleep with to arrange for that?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I wonder who she had to sleep with to arrange for that?

I was hoping T-Bone would be giving it.
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      ...Stacey Abrams, who narrowly missed becoming Georgia’s first black woman governor, will deliver the Dems’ official response.....
                      About that....

Can Stacey Abrams break the curse when she delivers the Democratic response to Trump's State of the Union?

WASHINGTON – Georgia Democrat Stacey Abrams has a lot going for her: a national following, a profile as an up-and-coming face of the party, and a real shot at higher office.

But can she beat the curse?

Abrams has been tapped to deliver the Democrats’ official response after President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address Tuesday night, a tradition afforded the party not occupying the White House. But the high-profile assignment the former gubernatorial candidate is taking on has been known to damage political aspirations.

"You're following a president, which oftentimes is not an easy act to follow," said John Hudak, a senior fellow of Governance Studies at the Brookings Institute in Washington.

In 2009, then-Louisiana GOP Gov. Bobby Jindal – and rising political star – was skewered for his wooden delivery after Barack Obama's address. His 2016 run for president fizzled months before the first primaries.

In 2013, Sen. Marco Rubio's case of severe cotton mouth prompted the Florida Republican to fumble for a nearby water bottle – all while keeping his eyes oddly fixed on the camera during his response to Obama's speech. The "water bottle moment" lit up Twitter and prompted a "Saturday Night Live" sketch and became a source of ridicule during his presidential run in 2016.

In 2017, former Democratic Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear drew internet snickers by declaring in his speech after Trump's address that he was "a proud Democrat, but first and foremost, I am a proud Republican, and Democrat and mostly, American." Beshear, who had won plaudits for twice winning gubernatorial contests in a red state, has been rarely heard from since then.

"The setting is also so much less impressive than the State of the Union," in which the president addresses a joint session of Congress, Hudak said. "And those optics can really add layers to the way in which a speech is perceived."

Millions of Americans followed Abrams and her spirited campaign last year to become the nation's first black female governor. Her near-win in November (she lost to Republican Brian Kemp by 1.4 percentage points) was viewed as even more remarkable given that she ran in a deep red state.

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., who invited Abrams to make the response, cited her resonance among working-class families and priority on voting rights as reasons for selecting the former state legislator who is expected to challenge Sen. David Perdue, R-Ga., in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        About that....

Can Stacey Abrams break the curse when she delivers the Democratic response to Trump's State of the Union?

WASHINGTON – Georgia Democrat Stacey Abrams has a lot going for her: a national following, a profile as an up-and-coming face of the party, and a real shot at higher office.

But can she beat the curse?

Abrams has been tapped to deliver the Democrats’ official response after President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address Tuesday night, a tradition afforded the party not occupying the White House. But the high-profile assignment the former gubernatorial candidate is taking on has been known to damage political aspirations.

"You're following a president, which oftentimes is not an easy act to follow," said John Hudak, a senior fellow of Governance Studies at the Brookings Institute in Washington.

In 2009, then-Louisiana GOP Gov. Bobby Jindal – and rising political star – was skewered for his wooden delivery after Barack Obama's address. His 2016 run for president fizzled months before the first primaries.

In 2013, Sen. Marco Rubio's case of severe cotton mouth prompted the Florida Republican to fumble for a nearby water bottle – all while keeping his eyes oddly fixed on the camera during his response to Obama's speech. The "water bottle moment" lit up Twitter and prompted a "Saturday Night Live" sketch and became a source of ridicule during his presidential run in 2016.

In 2017, former Democratic Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear drew internet snickers by declaring in his speech after Trump's address that he was "a proud Democrat, but first and foremost, I am a proud Republican, and Democrat and mostly, American." Beshear, who had won plaudits for twice winning gubernatorial contests in a red state, has been rarely heard from since then.

"The setting is also so much less impressive than the State of the Union," in which the president addresses a joint session of Congress, Hudak said. "And those optics can really add layers to the way in which a speech is perceived."

Millions of Americans followed Abrams and her spirited campaign last year to become the nation's first black female governor. Her near-win in November (she lost to Republican Brian Kemp by 1.4 percentage points) was viewed as even more remarkable given that she ran in a deep red state.

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., who invited Abrams to make the response, cited her resonance among working-class families and priority on voting rights as reasons for selecting the former state legislator who is expected to challenge Sen. David Perdue, R-Ga., in 2020.
                        Two points
                        • Georgia is no longer a deep red state but is decidedly purple
                        • She left a bad taste in many people's mouths (including among a number of those who voted for her) after the last election as a result of her bitterness and refusal to concede

Comment

I watched about 20-minutes of it. Seemed like a good speech. Trump made an excellent case for border security, and talked up the economy, noting that over 50% of newly created jobs have gone to women. That actually got the Democrats on their feet who had been stubbornly sitting up to that point, and Trump pointed to them and said, "You weren't supposed to do that!" Then when they started to take their seats, Trump said, "Oh, don't sit yet, you're going to like this next part," and then he mentioned that there are more women serving in Congress today than at any other time in US history which earned him another rousing round of applause followed by all of Congress shouting "USA! USA!"
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            I watched about 20-minutes of it. Seemed like a good speech. Trump made an excellent case for border security, and talked up the economy, noting that over 50% of newly created jobs have gone to women. That actually got the Democrats on their feet who had been stubbornly sitting up to that point, and Trump pointed to them and said, "You weren't supposed to do that!" Then when they started to take their seats, Trump said, "Oh, don't sit yet, you're going to like this next part," and then he mentioned that there are more women serving in Congress today than at any other time in US history.
                            Quite a few 'united' Standing O's for that.... even cheering from the left.

Comment

I missed the explanation for why a bunch of the liberals are wearing white.

Comment