Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Tendency To Be A Marcionite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tendency To Be A Marcionite

Have you been one without realizing it?

Link

-----

Do we all have a tendency to go that way? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

It was within the past couple of weeks that I came to this conclusion. I was going to sleep at night praying myself to sleep as I usually do and I started thinking about my prayers to God. I started thinking about how the Father seems so unapproachable and things of that sort, and many of us I think do think that way.

Then the realization came to me. If Jesus is the one who showed the Father to us, then if we can approach Jesus, we can approach the Father. The thought hit me then that I had been being a Marcionite and I hadn't even realized it. Was I not implicitly saying God was a God who was ready to judge?

I thought then of the many passages I have read on prayer. We are told to boldly approach the throne of grace in Hebrews 4. That is quite a serious claim. You don't just come to the throne. You come with courage and confidence. You have all right to be there. God has granted you that privilege because He has adopted you as a son or a daughter.

And what does that tell us? God is supposed to be one that we approach as Father. The New Testament seems to go to great pains to get us to realize that. Jesus tells us in Luke 12:32 that it is the Father's good pleasure to give us the kingdom. He before this even tells us to fear not. Could it be we are told to fear not because we fear the opposite from God?

What about Elijah? James tells us that Elijah prayed and it didn't rain for years. He prayed again and the rain came. Before this, he says Elijah was a human being just like us. The prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

And if this is the case, the other danger of seeing God wrongly is that we don't see Him truly. We miss who He really is. If we see God in this way, how can we present Him as truly a God of love?

This isn't to say that He's not a judge either. There is some of that judgment in Jesus as well. Just see what Jesus did in the temple or read the book of Revelation. Jesus can be quite tough on those who oppose Him. The Father we are told disciplines us because we are sons and He loves us.

If we see God as a father, what kind of father is He? Jesus tells us that if we ask our fathers for fish and eggs, will we get snakes and stones instead? What kind of father would do that? Yet sometimes we treat God as someone we have to beg and beg just to get one good thing from and we live in constant fear begging for mercy over and over.

And maybe you're reading this and realizing you've had the same tendency. I think it shows up in people who come to me and struggle with doubt. They think that if they didn't say or do the exact right thing, God will abandon them and say they're not really Christians. He wants to keep them out of eternity on a technicality. Is that not the same sort of problem? The cross should show us God is willing to do what it takes because He does desire to forgive. Heaven is not for God but for us. God doesn't need Heaven. He needs no place to dwell. We need a place if we are to be with Him.

So now, I am in the mental process of working on rethinking issues relating to prayer and who God is and thinking more and more about the awesome privileges that come to us who are Christians. I hope some reading this who have the same struggle are starting to rethink. If we are to tell the world about the goodness of God, we need to believe it ourselves.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

I guess it's because it's pretty amazing that the sovereign Creator of the universe cares about us mere creatures. Sure, we are created in the image of God, but we still have shame for not living up to that image. I don't think it helps that many Christians in the Western world don't realize that Jesus took our shame and fear also and not just our guilt.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

What does that have to do with Marcion?
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Old testament God vs New Testament God? Making a false dichotomy between the Father and the Son? Marcion thought God was bad in the OT?
        Last edited by Christianbookworm; 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          Old testament God vs New Testament God? Making a false dichotomy between the Father and the Son? Marcion thought God was bad in the OT?
          Well, yeah. What does the OP have to do with any of that? False dichotomy, sort of, but Marcion was hardly the only one to fall afoul of that.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Nick?

sigpic

Comment

Sorry. It's been rough around here the past few days. There's a lot going on including Allie's family having to put the dog down.

CBW got it right. I have in mind the idea that God is a God of wrath and anger and judgment which does remind me of Marcion and that Jesus is love and grace and mercy.

Comment

Thanks, Nick. I know you're going through a lot.

sigpic

Comment

And more seems to be piling on....

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                    And more seems to be piling on....

Comment

Nick Remember Elijah and Ezekiel. Old bones can come to life.
                      sigpic

Comment

I actually interviewed someone already on the case for an animal afterlife.

Comment