Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why Democrats Can’t Talk Honestly About Abortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Aw, heck - go ahead! Verbosity counts!

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      You are making a basic logic error Starlight. Kill is a superset of murder. All murder is killing, but not all killing is murder. When I use the word kill to describe both acts, I am using a generic term that encompasses both acts. When you use a specific term (murder) to cover both acts when both acts do NOT meet the specific definition of the word, then you obfuscate the real distinctions that required there to be two words in the first place
      Excellent distinction.

You would think that of all the Ten Commandments the one that needs the least explaining is the sixth, because it seems so clear. It is the one that the King James Bible, the most widely used English translation of the Bible, translates as, “Thou shall not kill.”

Yet, the truth is the quite the opposite. This is probably the least well understood of the Ten Commandments. The reason is that the Hebrew original does not say, “Do not kill.” It says, “Do not murder.” Both Hebrew and English have two words for taking a life — one is “kill” (harag, in Hebrew) and the other is “murder” (ratzach in Hebrew).

The difference between the two is enormous. Kill means:

1) Taking any life — whether of a human being or an animal.

2) Taking a human life deliberately or by accident.

3) Taking a human life legally or illegally, morally or immorally.

On the other hand, murder can only mean one thing: The illegal or immoral taking of a human life. That’s why we say, “I killed a mosquito,” not, “I murdered a mosquito.” And that’s why we would say that “the worker was accidentally killed,” not that “the worker was accidentally murdered.”
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        It is human life that if allowed to develop as God and nature intended will emerge into the world as a fully functioning human person.
        It is physically a cell, a very special sort of cell We would agree, but it is not a functioning human being. A fetus 1 week out from birth is a fully functioning human being and can be removed from the womb with almost 100% chance of survival.

This is the sort of distinction that has to be made when looking at a secular legal construct applied to abortion.

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          Smart aliens?

Most of the 7 billion humans on this planet?
          That isn’t how your logic follows. If you arrange things based on intelligence it follows that some human lives are worth more than others.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            No file, just memory and use of the search function.

If you provide some extra details that you think show how I misrepresented you, I'll respond.

If you keep providing nothing but spittle and bile, I probably won't.
            It’s entertaining that you have the memory to remember a sound bite from years ago, but seem to have forgotten how the last time you played this game you were called out when the context showed your interpretation was wrong. Keep flaming out and trying to desperately distract from the death cult you don’t support, but defend at every turn. It’s wonderful when you prove the premise of the OP. Troll harder.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It is physically a cell, a very special sort of cell We would agree, but it is not a functioning human being.
              And I assume you would not dispute that it is, indeed, a human cell -- containing all the DNA information....
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                You anti-abortionists are creating your own lexicon if you speak of abortion as 'murder', since it is clearly not unlawful if the law allows abortion, and thus does not meet your provided dictionary definition of murder. You're trying to accuse me of doing the very thing you yourselves are doing. At least I have the valid excuse that I live in a different country with a different culture that does use words a bit differently, whereas you guys have no excuse because you live in the country that produced the dictionary and you're the ones citing its listing.
                By that logic the Nazi’s were not committing mass murder because they were doing it with the full approval of the government. Keep defending your death cult at every turn.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Thanks - I disagree, but I wasn't looking for an argument. Just wanted to know where you stood on that, so we're good!
                  Yep we're good. However, I'd like to point out that even the Bible makes the sort of distinction I'm talking about:

Source: Exodus 21:22

If men struggle with each other and strike a woman with child so that she gives birth prematurely [in this time, that mean this causes the baby in the womb to die(sic)], he shall surely be fined as the wonman's husband may demand of him, and he shall pay as the judges decide. But if there is any further injury [to the woman (sic)] then you shall appoint as a penalty life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise

© Copyright Original Source

IOW, the law of God itself does not equate the killing of that unborn and non viable child with murder.

Something to think about.

Jim
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-07-2019, 08:21 AM.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
                    ...it is not a functioning human being.
                    But it is a functioning human life!

Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
                    This is the sort of distinction that has to be made when looking at a secular legal construct applied to abortion.
                    I don't give a crap about the "secular legal construct" because as we have seen, secularists are perfectly fine with killing a baby literally up to moments before the mother gives birth, and in some cases even after a living child has been delivered.

Frankly, discussing abortion with liberals gives me some idea of what it might have been like to discuss the Holocaust with Hitler. You'd explain to him how it's wrong to kill another innocent human being, and he'd look at you blankly and say, "But Jews are subhuman."
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yep we're good. However, I'd like to point out that even the Bible makes the sort of distinction I'm talking about:

Source: Exodus 21:22

If men struggle with each other and strike a woman with child so that she gives birth prematurely [in this time, that mean this causes the baby in the womb to die(sic)], he shall surely be fined as the wonman's husband may demand of him, and he shall pay as the judges decide. But if there is any further injury [to the woman (sic)] then you shall appoint as a penalty life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise

© Copyright Original Source

IOW, the law of God itself does not equate the killing of that unborn, non viable child with murder.

Something to think about.

Jim
                      I don’t think it supports your claim at all because it sounds like the intention was never to cause harm to the unborn child.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        But it is a functioning human life!

I don't give a crap about the "secular legal construct" because as we have seen, secularists are perfectly fine with killing a baby up literally moments before the mother gives birth, and in some cases even after a living child has been delivered.

Frankly, discussing abortion with liberals gives me some idea of what it might have been like to discuss the Holocaust with Hitler. You'd explain to him how it's wrong to kill another innocent human being, and he'd look at you blankly and say, "But Jews are subhuman."
                        While I understand and mostly agree with your point, you should 'give a crap' about a distinction the Bible itself makes. See the post above or read Exodus 21:22

Jim

Comment

• No one gets in trouble for accidentally killing a human. If the baby dies, then they probably didn't even realize they were fighting near a pregnant woman in the first place!
                          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            I don’t think it supports your claim at all because it sounds like the intention was never to cause harm to the unborn child.
                            The point is that it doesn't treat the killing of the unborn, inviable child as murder. If they accidentally kill the mother, it is life for a life, even though it was accidental. So the distinction is not it being accidental (And why I also quoted vs 23), but it being an inviable child in the womb.

Jim

Comment

The point is that it doesn't treat the killing of the unborn, inviable child as murder. If they accidentally kill the mother, it is life for a life, even though it was accidental. So the distinction is not it being accidental (And why I also quoted vs 23), but it being an inviable child in the womb.

Jim
                              Well, mom is a lot more obvious. Voluntary manslaughter vs. involuntary manslaughter.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                                No one gets in trouble for accidentally killing a human. If the baby dies, then they probably didn't even realize they were fighting near a pregnant woman in the first place!
                                Read the entire text CBW. If they kill the pregnant women accidentally, they pay with their life.

Jim

Comment