Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: ‘There Is Going to Be a War Within the Party. We Are Going to Lean Into It.’

  1. #1
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,257
    Amen (Given)
    10064
    Amen (Received)
    22514

    ‘There Is Going to Be a War Within the Party. We Are Going to Lean Into It.’

    ‘There Is Going to Be a War Within the Party. We Are Going to Lean Into It.’

    Maybe you’ve heard the warning: The country is beset by a menace. A fringe conservative minority is holding Congress hostage, extracting radical policy concessions over the will of the majority. And it’s leading the nation to fiscal, environmental and moral ruin.

    Maybe you haven’t heard this part: These dangerous conservatives are Democrats.

    “I am talking about the radical conservatives in the Democratic Party,” said Saikat Chakrabarti. “That’s who we need to counter. It’s the same across any number of issues—pay-as-you-go, free college, “Medicare for all.” These are all enormously popular in the party, but they don’t pass because of the radical conservatives who are holding the party hostage.”

    Not long ago, this would have been an outlier position even among American liberals. Today, it’s the organizing principle of a newly empowered segment of the Democratic Party, one with a foothold in the new Congress.

    Chakrabarti is chief of staff to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the closest thing to a new celebrity Congress has had in years—a 29-year-old former activist and bartender who, on the most recent Martin Luther King Day, sat on the same New York stage as the rapper Common, Black Panther director Ryan Coogler and MacArthur “genius award” winner Ta-Nehisi Coates.

    Although it’s Ocasio-Cortez who gets all the headlines, she arguably wouldn’t be in Congress in the first place without the group Chakrabarti founded: Justice Democrats, a new, central player in the ongoing war for the soul of the Democratic Party. It was the Justice Democrats who recruited her in a quixotic campaign early on, providing a neophyte candidate with enough infrastructure to take down a party leader. And it is the Justice Democrats who see Ocasio-Cortez as just the opening act in an astonishingly ambitious plan to do nothing less than re-imagine liberal politics in America—and do it by whatever means necessary.

    If that requires knocking out well-known elected officials and replacing them with more radical newcomers, so be it. And if it ends up ripping apart the Democratic Party in the process—well, that might be the idea.

    “There is going to be a war within the party. We are going to lean into it,” said Waleed Shahid, the group’s spokesman...

    The top Democrats in Congress have their hands full already, trying to use their new control of the House of Representatives to fight President Donald Trump, expand their majority in 2020, and maybe even capture the Senate. But they also find themselves with real anxieties about their left flank for the first time in memory. Justice Democrats is one of a handful of groups that represent a new and restive spirit in the party, a Tea Party-like populist coalition of voters awakened by Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders’ cannonball run in 2016 and united by their superprogressive politics and a millennial disdain for the establishment.

    Not all of their efforts have been successful—of the slate of 2018 candidates Justice Democrats recruited, only Ocasio-Cortez won—but they’ve been undeniably disruptive, and unafraid to go after people on their own side of the aisle. Nervous members of the Democratic establishment and leadership are watching, asking: Could they hurt the party as it tries to leverage its first majority in years and defeat Trump in 2020? And do they even care?


  2. #2
    tWebber Starlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,647
    Amen (Given)
    2705
    Amen (Received)
    1642
    I'm already well aware of this, and it's great!

    Bill Clinton deliberately repudiated traditional US liberalism and the New Deal, and took the party to the right as part of his Third Way. This was known as "triangulation", and the idea was to find the middle ground between liberals and conservatives and thus capture the centrist and moderate voters while retaining the base. It failed for a number of reasons, a major one of which is that the voters themselves are influenced by the positions and speeches of politicians and change their own views in response to what they hear, and another major one is that over time the base gets demoralized and stops fighting for you if you stop pushing policies that excite them. An unfortunate truism in US politics in recent decades has been that Republican politicians are afraid of their base and cater to them (and the Tea Party primaried those who didn't), while Democratic politicians are contemptuous of their base and mock them (and are now scared of the idea their base might send Justice Democrats like AOC to primary them like the Tea Party did on the right).

    The Democrats would do well to return to the popular left-wing positions their base favors and abandon attempts to placate increasingly non-existent centrists and/or right-wingers who are never going to vote for them anyway. Polling consistently says that the left-wing political policies are overwhelmingly popular. Over at Fox News they've been panicking because even their own polls show people want the rich to be taxed more.

    The same thing happened with the Labour party in the UK, which Jeremy Corbyn has now successfully returned to its left-wing roots over the political dead bodies of the Tony Blair-ite neoliberal politicians who had moved the party to the center-right like Clinton did.
    Last edited by Starlight; 02-05-2019 at 09:24 PM.

  3. #3
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,257
    Amen (Given)
    10064
    Amen (Received)
    22514
    I appreciate your endorsement for this, Starlight. It proves what a nutty insane leftist pinko commie liberal idiot idea it is.

  4. #4
    tWebber Starlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,647
    Amen (Given)
    2705
    Amen (Received)
    1642
    Back when Democrats were New Dealers and real leftists...

    The US populace kept electing FDR until he died in office during his 4th term, and the Democrats were the majority party in both the House and Senate for 44 out of 48 years.

    What a nutty idea to go back to the policies that won so massively! Obviously it would be terrible to sweep to overwhelming victory!

  5. #5
    God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,605
    Amen (Given)
    7462
    Amen (Received)
    7660
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    I'm already well aware of this, and it's great!

    Bill Clinton deliberately repudiated traditional US liberalism and the New Deal, and took the party to the right as part of his Third Way. This was known as "triangulation", and the idea was to find the middle ground between liberals and conservatives and thus capture the centrist and moderate voters while retaining the base. It failed for a number of reasons, a major one of which is that the voters themselves are influenced by the positions and speeches of politicians and change their own views in response to what they hear, and another major one is that over time the base gets demoralized and stops fighting for you if you stop pushing policies that excite them. An unfortunate truism in US politics in recent decades has been that Republican politicians are afraid of their base and cater to them (and the Tea Party primaried those who didn't), while Democratic politicians are contemptuous of their base and mock them (and are now scared of the idea their base might send Justice Democrats like AOC to primary them like the Tea Party did on the right).

    The Democrats would do well to return to the popular left-wing positions their base favors and abandon attempts to placate increasingly non-existent centrists and/or right-wingers who are never going to vote for them anyway. Polling consistently says that the left-wing political policies are overwhelmingly popular. Over at Fox News they've been panicking because even their own polls show people want the rich to be taxed more.

    The same thing happened with the Labour party in the UK, which Jeremy Corbyn has now successfully returned to its left-wing roots over the political dead bodies of the Tony Blair-ite neoliberal politicians who had moved the party to the center-right like Clinton did.
    The US is finally starting to see just how crazy the liberal leftist ideas are. And the left is graciously supplying the fodder, like post-birth infanticide, up to 90% tax on the rich, and the like.


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  6. #6
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44,417
    Amen (Given)
    4183
    Amen (Received)
    20026
    I am hoping that these radical leftists ("Starlighters" we should call them ) will do their usually thing and overplay their hand. By announcing their strategy and coming at the Democrats in power they might actually force the DNC to repudiate these nutjobs, because the Democrats in power ARE the more conservative ones (which is still nothing like "radical conservatives" more like "moderate liberals") and they have to power to stomp these moronic socialists into the ground at the moment.

    There might be a war coming but these socialist green weenies are going to be on the receiving end of the moderate liberals AND the actual conservatives. And we have all the guns. And the bacon.

    the other thing these far left nutjobs are doing is forcing moderate democrats over to the republican party. I already told how my cousin is switching sides after a lifetime of being a moderate democrat.

  7. #7
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoCal!!!
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,228
    Amen (Given)
    226
    Amen (Received)
    465
    “I am talking about the radical conservatives in the Democratic Party,” said Saikat Chakrabarti. “That’s who we need to counter. It’s the same across any number of issues—pay-as-you-go, free college, “Medicare for all.” These are all enormously popular in the party, but they don’t pass because of the radical conservatives who are holding the party hostage.”
    Isn't it odd that everything is considered 'radical' except the leftists attempts to overthrow the freedoms that were secured to us against government infringement?

  8. #8
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,257
    Amen (Given)
    10064
    Amen (Received)
    22514
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Isn't it odd that everything is considered 'radical' except the leftists attempts to overthrow the freedoms that were secured to us against government infringement?
    And that the extremist leftists think that their own party leaders are "radically conservative"?

  9. #9
    tWebber Starlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,647
    Amen (Given)
    2705
    Amen (Received)
    1642
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And that the extremist leftists think that their own party leaders are "radically conservative"?
    I saw a useful guide on twitter this week explaining to non-Americans how to translate American political terminology into internationally used political terms:

    A guide for Europeans following American politics, translating common terms:
    "Extreme left wing" = center left
    "Left wing" = center right
    "Moderate" = right wing
    "Right wing" = extreme right
    "Extreme right wing" = fascists

    "Communist" = left wing
    "Socialist" = anyone not a libertarian
    "Libertarian" = complete jerk

  10. #10
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44,417
    Amen (Given)
    4183
    Amen (Received)
    20026
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    I saw a useful guide on twitter this week explaining to non-Americans how to translate American political terminology into internationally used political terms:

    A guide for Europeans following American politics, translating common terms:
    "Extreme left wing" = center left
    "Left wing" = center right
    "Moderate" = right wing
    "Right wing" = extreme right
    "Extreme right wing" = fascists

    "Communist" = left wing
    "Socialist" = anyone not a libertarian
    "Libertarian" = complete jerk
    And for people like you, they need to shift everything about twice as far.

    Extreme left wing = Alt-right in Starlight world.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •