Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Overnight Poll Numbers For Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
    You're deluded. She totally owned him.
    This seems to be one of those instances where one's preconceptions colors their perception. For instance, I still think Pelosi seemed addled and barely aware of where she even was
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      No - you changed them to reflect what you believe to be the truth (based on your statement above), so you made them your words, not mine. Like I said, a cheap, childish tactic.
      Noted.
      Make a good case, and my mind will change.
      Not hardly. You've proven abundantly here that you're more than capable of not seeing what you don't want to see.
      I've said nothing about what you think - only what you did.
      When you allege I wanted something, that's about what I think.
      Except it is, fundamentally, a dismissive tactic. Don't like what someone is saying? Just label it "TDS" and we can move on. Again - not a particularly useful tactic if you're trying to actuall make an argument.
      Labeling it a dismissive tactic is also conveniently dismissive. ETA: Did you note that I wasn't trying to actually make an argument?
      And I think I agree with you - this discussion is pointless. Last word to you.
      Shall I hold you to that?

That's a rhetorical question.
      Last edited by One Bad Pig; 02-07-2019, 08:42 AM.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

So why hypocritically insert it into the SOTU? After all - he came out of the gate swinging, and now he wants to call for an end?

It will be interesting to see if he leads by example. I'm thinking a) he won't, and b) he (and his base) will blame it on someone else.
        Likely because the left hides their revenge behind a show of respect?
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Likely because the left hides their revenge behind a show of respect?
          Doubtful. And blatantly hypocritical, IMO
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            You're deluded. She totally owned him.
            You're on crack. She got slammed from the get-go and tried her darndest to act like a tool to pay him back.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Doubtful. And blatantly hypocritical, IMO
              It’s not ‘doubtful’ at all.

FDR worked at replacing his political enemies in congress and the Supree Court.

JFK had Nixon audited by the IRS for several years.

Taking a page from JFK, Nixon used the IRS to do similar things to his political enemies.

Fact is, taking revenge on your political enemies is a tradition I politics. At least we don’t simply assassinate them today.

As for hypocrites, pretty much anyone in politics is a walking, talking, hypocrite.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

[QUOTE=lilpixieofterror;612016]It’s not ‘doubtful’ at all.

Taking a page from JFK, Nixon used the IRS to do similar things to his political enemies.

Fact is, taking revenge on your political enemies is a tradition I politics. At least we don’t simply assassinate them today.[QUOTE=lilpixieofterror;612016]

I didn't mean it is doubtful that revenge has been part of politics for a long time - I meant it's doubtful to me that that was his motivation.

As for hypocrites, pretty much anyone in politics is a walking, talking, hypocrite.
                Far too broad a brush...
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  This seems to be one of those instances where one's preconceptions colors their perception.
                  It does, as you are demonstrating.

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  You're on crack. She got slammed from the get-go and tried her darndest to act like a tool to pay him back.
                  Wishful thinking. Pelosi has won every encounter with your buffoonish hero, including her demeanor whilst Trump was his ridiculous 'Voice of Destiny' mode during the SOTU.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Wow - really bad editing... let me try that again!

It’s not ‘doubtful’ at all.

Fact is, taking revenge on your political enemies is a tradition I politics. At least we don’t simply assassinate them today.
                    I didn't mean it is doubtful that revenge has been part of politics for a long time - I meant it's doubtful to me that that was his motivation.

Far too broad a brush...

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post

Wishful thinking. Pelosi has won every encounter with your buffoonish hero, including her demeanor whilst Trump was his ridiculous 'Voice of Destiny' mode during the SOTU.
                      Trump made her look like a fool, multiple times, and she desperately tried to get a swipe or two in. He scored the KO when he mentioned historically lower unemployment, and she stayed sitting. She has been, and continues to be, a petulant child acting tough to her daddy.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        Trump made her look like a fool, multiple times, and she desperately tried to get a swipe or two in. He scored the KO when he mentioned historically lower unemployment, and she stayed sitting. She has been, and continues to be, a petulant child acting tough to her daddy.
                        It was worse than that. When Trump mentioned the historically low unemployment numbers for Asian-Americans, African-Americans, and Hispanic-Americans, the Democrats sat on their hands. But when he mentioned how good the jobs market has been for women, all the Democrats clad in their KKK white suddenly jumped to their feet and started cheering wildly.

Comment

It was worse than that. When Trump mentioned the historically low unemployment numbers for Asian-Americans, African-Americans, and Hispanic-Americans, the Democrats sat on their hands. But when he mentioned how good the jobs market has been for women, all the Democrats clad in their KKK white suddenly jumped to their feet and started cheering wildly.
                          KKK white? Really, MM? Do you have NO shame at all?

Comment

KKK white? Really, MM?
                            Yes, really. The only thing missing were the white hoods.

Do you have NO shame at all?
                            No more or less than you.

Comment

Yes, really. The only thing missing were the white hoods.

No more or less than you.
                              The women of Congress (pretty much only the Democrats) wore white to reflect the color worn by the suffragettes. So suggest otherwise and associate them with a racist group on the basis that they "wore the same color" is dishonest in pretty much every possible way. I know you're partisan - but I thought that partisanship had limits. Apparently I was wrong.

Feel free to have the last word.

Comment

So suggest otherwise and associate them with a racist group on the basis that they "wore the same color"...
                                Well, that and the fact that they refused to applaud when Trump mentioned the low unemployment rates of African-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, and Asian-Americans. That they happened to be wearing white in that moment is, I think, a hilariously appropriate coincidence.

Comment