Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Overnight Poll Numbers For Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The "reputable" media outlets bury things like this until forced into covering it (want examples?).
    Apparently including Fox News I can't even find anything on Brietbart. Just the usual conspiracy blogs and social media, and from the "usual sources."

You need to raise your reading sights.

While some liberals have claimed that Rosen was warning Sinema rather than threatening her if you're warning you say it after she sits back down but she stood up and said it in order to get her to stop.
    Speculation.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

How often did they sit out what is incontrovertibly good news?
      Many times. My guess (and it's only a guess) was that they didn't want to applaud Trump for it and imply that he could be given credit for the gain. They did clap the gain by women, but it was pretty clearly about the massive surge in Congress - which Trump then acknowledged. Unfortunately, that surge happened because of who Democrats and Independents ran and voted for - not Republicans.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Except things like low unemployment for minorities is not a partisan issue.
        Giving Trump the credit is...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Call it what you want - they were quite obviously grandstanding.
          Of COURSE they were. They were using a high-visibility moment to make a statement. That's what politicians DO. You think Trump wasn't grandstanding? Or the continuous Republican applause? You think the guy who called out "you're lying" in the middle of Obama's SOTU wasn't grandstanding? It's the SOTU, for pity's sake. Of COURSE they were grandstanding. They clearly wanted to take some of the attention away from Trump.

I wasn't going there, Mister Prejudice - I was thinking more about "wearing white at a wedding to represent purity" "angelic white" "look at me white"...
          I was not referring to you, CP. At no point did I see you say "their white was reminiscent of the KKK." If the shoe doesn't fit - don't put it on, OK. And their "white" was not about purity - it was explicitly announced to be in honor of the suffragettes and to highlight the gain women made in Congress in 2018.

So, you're trying to be MORE ridiculous.
          Yeah - that was pretty much the point. The entire notion is ridiculous - and a further attempt to paint "liberals" and "Democrats" as a "them" that can be hated freely. MM and Rogue should know better - but I frankly have come to expect exactly this from them. And they will defend it to the end...so I guess further discussion about it is rather pointless.

I'll leave the last word to others.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            Of COURSE they were. They were using a high-visibility moment to make a statement. That's what politicians DO. You think Trump wasn't grandstanding? Or the continuous Republican applause?
            The were using this event to draw attention to themselves. Trump Grandstanding? He was doing exactly what many others have done before in the SOTUA. Republicans applauding? Gee, l'm SHOCKED that the party of the president applauded more than the opposition party -- that has NEVER happened before. (And you're exaggerating when you say "continuous" applause - sure they applauded a lot, but not continuously.

Carpe - show me another time where a group of people in the SOTUA went to such lengths to draw so much attention to themselves.

Sometimes you can be so.....
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh for pity's sake. One fashion writer uses the color of Melania's dress as a metaphor for Trump's "pro-white" tendencies, and a handful of comedians make "Raiders of the Lost Ark" jokes and suddenly "liberals and democrats accuse Melania of racism on the basis of the color of her dress?"
              So when a fashion writer and comedian do it, it's a metaphor and no big deal, but when I do it, it's shameful.

As they say, if liberals didn't have double standards then they wouldn't have any standards at all.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Oh for pity's sake. One fashion writer uses the color of Melania's dress as a metaphor for Trump's "pro-white" tendencies, and a handful of comedians make "Raiders of the Lost Ark" jokes and suddenly "liberals and democrats accuse Melania of racism on the basis of the color of her dress?"
                Note that I added "There are other instances as well" but didn't have time to post them since I was running short of time. Yet it is still interesting that you even managed to miss these. Both garnered considerable attention in the MSM.

As I said you made absolutely no attempt to look before doing a carpe (hand waving away anything that doesn't fit your preconceptions) and proclaiming that there was "no evidence that the first event actually happened."

By the way, did you hear that a Trump supporter sent bombs some time ago to Trump critics? And a right-wing nut job shot up a Jewish synagogue a few months ago. I guess I should, by this logic, accuse Republicans and conservatives of hate crimes and violence against liberals and Democrats?
                I'll see your ineptly made non-functional bombs[1] and raise you one James Hodgkinson who actually very specifically targeted Republicans[2] before opening fire on them as they practiced for the annual Congressional Baseball Game for Charity. This left wing activist, MSNBC News junkie (notorious for the vitriol directed at Republicans and conservatives) and Bernie Sanders campaign worker who frequently expressed his hatred toward Republicans online, critically wounded House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-Louisiana)[3] as well as wounding four others.

Then there is Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky) who was attacked from behind in his backyard resulting in five rib fractures including 3 displaced fractures as well as lung contusions as he was mowing his lawn by Rene Boucher, a neighbor and supporter of the far-left Occupy movement and who's Facebook account is full of anti-Trump rants.

The MSM worked overtime pushing the attackers story that this was all about a property dispute but neighbors of both men (Boucher did not even live next door to Paul) and the neighborhood home owner's association quickly debunked that.

Then there is Rep. David Kustoff (Tennessee) who was nearly run off the road by a stalker, Wendi Wright, who was angry about his vote to repeal and replace Obamacare. She then confronted him when he pulled over screaming, striking the windows on Kustoff's car and even reaching inside the vehicle before finally leaving. She was later arrested after boasting of the confrontation on Facebook and charged with felony reckless endangerment.

Then there is Rudy Peters, who while running against Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-California) last year, who was assaulted by a knife-wielding attacker near a vendor's booth at the Castro Valley Fall Festival after the attacker began screaming profanity-laced remarks about the Republican party and Trump and repeatedly shouting "I'll kill you" as he attacked. Fortunately Ford was able to fend of the attacker using one of his election signs. The attacker, Farzad Fazeli, ran off but was later arrested and charged with felony assault, making criminal threats and brandishing a weapon.

Then there is Kristin Davison the campaign manager for Nevada GOP gubernatorial candidate Adam Laxalt who was roughed up by an operative for American Bridge 21st Century, funded by liberal billionaire George Soros, leaving her bruised.

Then, up in Minnesota, two Republicans were physically assaulted by assailants who were angry about their politics. State Rep. Sarah Anderson was punched when she confronted a man kicking down several of her yard signs and Minnesota House District 15b candidate Shane Mekeland was attacked during a campaign event after accused Republicans of abandoning the middle class. That attack left him with a concussion.

The MSM has either downplayed or ignored most of these and other actual attacks (the baseball shooting being the notable exception) while constantly bemoaning how Trump's rancorous rhetoric may some day lead to violence. The fact is that, as can be seen above, the venomous rhetoric spewed from the left in a near constant stream has already led to violence. "Comedians" and other "entertainers" have a long and sordid history of making "jokes" or producing songs and the like advocating violence against Republican leaders. And with few exceptions the left rallies in their defense.

And you also have Democrat politicians like Mad Max[ine] Waters (D-Cal) demanding that people "create a crowd and you push back" against Republicans wherever and whenever you see them, calling for in-your-face confrontations as well as encouraging people to mob and harass Trump Administration officials. Likewise presidential hopeful Sen. Cory "I am Spartacus" Booker (D-NJ) urged liberal advocates to "get up in the face of some congresspeople."

And let's not forget Hillary Clinton's declaration that Democrats shouldn't be civil to Republicans unless they win back control of Washington or former Obama Attorney General Eric Holder's mocking of former first lady Michelle Obama's call for civility when he told supporters, "Michelle always says, ‘When they go low, we go high.’ No. No. When they go low, we kick them," he said, adding, "That’s what this Democratic Party’s about."

Of course aggressive rhetoric of this sort is nothing new and Trump is hardly the first president to employ some. The last occupant of the White House, Barrack Obama was known to employ more than his share of it, saying things like:
                • "If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun."
                • "argue with your neighbors. Get in their face."
                • "Punch back twice as hard."

1. They were obviously for theatrical purposes since they even included large "timers." Considering that mail bombs don't utilize timers to detonate them the maker was far more concerned in making something that looked like a bomb (a Hollywood version of one at that)

2. Before the shooting he asked if those out on the field were Republicans or Democrats

3. He was in critical condition for several days as a result of the shooting and was hospitalized for 6 weeks.
                Last edited by rogue06; 02-10-2019, 02:43 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The were using this event to draw attention to themselves. Trump Grandstanding? He was doing exactly what many others have done before in the SOTUA. Republicans applauding? Gee, l'm SHOCKED that the party of the president applauded more than the opposition party -- that has NEVER happened before. (And you're exaggerating when you say "continuous" applause - sure they applauded a lot, but not continuously.

Carpe - show me another time where a group of people in the SOTUA went to such lengths to draw so much attention to themselves.

Sometimes you can be so.....
                  Political historians have noted for some time now that right after the SOTU began being televised that it transformed into what is essentially a campaign speech. But for folks like carpe it is only an issue when Trump became president

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Speaking of the hoax bomber, whatever happened to him? Seems like once the left got all the mileage out of that story that they could and realized that he was a harmless kook (everything about him from the "bombs" to his van looked like movie props), the incident was quickly forgotten about.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Political historians have noted for some time now that right after the SOTU began being televised that it transformed into what is essentially a campaign speech. But for folks like carpe it is only an issue when Trump became president
                      At least Trump put an end to the Obama era tradition of counting how many times the president referred to himself in the State of the Union.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Speaking of the hoax bomber, whatever happened to him? Seems like once the left got all the mileage out of that story that they could and realized that he was a harmless kook (everything about him from the "bombs" to his van looked like movie props), the incident was quickly forgotten about.
                        He's slated to go to trial in July where he has pleaded not guilty.

If the MSM continued covering this it would have become increasingly apparent that these bombs were inert with almost no chance of a detonation. Also, it was causing people to discover that Trump and his family have been the target of several anthrax attacks (almost all were harmless white powder) as well as an attempted ricin attack on Trump along with Sen. Ted Cruz R-TX), Defense Secretary James Mattis and several others from a guy who's Facebook page includes rants about the 99% v. the 1%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Kinda like ClockBoy.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Note that I added "There are other instances as well" but didn't have time to post them since I was running short of time. Yet it is still interesting that you even managed to miss these. Both garnered considerable attention in the MSM.

As I said you made absolutely no attempt to look before doing a carpe (hand waving away anything that doesn't fit your preconceptions) and proclaiming that there was "no evidence that the first event actually happened."

I'll see your ineptly made non-functional bombs[1] and raise you one James Hodgkinson who actually very specifically targeted Republicans[2] before opening fire on them as they practiced for the annual Congressional Baseball Game for Charity. This left wing activist, MSNBC News junkie (notorious for the vitriol directed at Republicans and conservatives) and Bernie Sanders campaign worker who frequently expressed his hatred toward Republicans online, critically wounded House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-Louisiana)[3] as well as wounding four others.

Then there is Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky) who was attacked from behind in his backyard resulting in five rib fractures including 3 displaced fractures as well as lung contusions as he was mowing his lawn by Rene Boucher, a neighbor and supporter of the far-left Occupy movement and who's Facebook account is full of anti-Trump rants.

The MSM worked overtime pushing the attackers story that this was all about a property dispute but neighbors of both men (Boucher did not even live next door to Paul) and the neighborhood home owner's association quickly debunked that.

Then there is Rep. David Kustoff (Tennessee) who was nearly run off the road by a stalker, Wendi Wright, who was angry about his vote to repeal and replace Obamacare. She then confronted him when he pulled over screaming, striking the windows on Kustoff's car and even reaching inside the vehicle before finally leaving. She was later arrested after boasting of the confrontation on Facebook and charged with felony reckless endangerment.

Then there is Rudy Peters, who while running against Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-California) last year, who was assaulted by a knife-wielding attacker near a vendor's booth at the Castro Valley Fall Festival after the attacker began screaming profanity-laced remarks about the Republican party and Trump and repeatedly shouting "I'll kill you" as he attacked. Fortunately Ford was able to fend of the attacker using one of his election signs. The attacker, Farzad Fazeli, ran off but was later arrested and charged with felony assault, making criminal threats and brandishing a weapon.

Then there is Kristin Davison the campaign manager for Nevada GOP gubernatorial candidate Adam Laxalt who was roughed up by an operative for American Bridge 21st Century, funded by liberal billionaire George Soros, leaving her bruised.

Then, up in Minnesota, two Republicans were physically assaulted by assailants who were angry about their politics. State Rep. Sarah Anderson was punched when she confronted a man kicking down several of her yard signs and Minnesota House District 15b candidate Shane Mekeland was attacked during a campaign event after accused Republicans of abandoning the middle class. That attack left him with a concussion.

The MSM has either downplayed or ignored most of these and other actual attacks (the baseball shooting being the notable exception) while constantly bemoaning how Trump's rancorous rhetoric may some day lead to violence. The fact is that, as can be seen above, the venomous rhetoric spewed from the left in a near constant stream has already led to violence. "Comedians" and other "entertainers" have a long and sordid history of making "jokes" or producing songs and the like advocating violence against Republican leaders. And with few exceptions the left rallies in their defense.

And you also have Democrat politicians like Mad Max[ine] Waters (D-Cal) demanding that people "create a crowd and you push back" against Republicans wherever and whenever you see them, calling for in-your-face confrontations as well as encouraging people to mob and harass Trump Administration officials. Likewise presidential hopeful Sen. Cory "I am Spartacus" Booker (D-NJ) urged liberal advocates to "get up in the face of some congresspeople."

And let's not forget Hillary Clinton's declaration that Democrats shouldn't be civil to Republicans unless they win back control of Washington or former Obama Attorney General Eric Holder's mocking of former first lady Michelle Obama's call for civility when he told supporters, "Michelle always says, ‘When they go low, we go high.’ No. No. When they go low, we kick them," he said, adding, "That’s what this Democratic Party’s about."

Of course aggressive rhetoric of this sort is nothing new and Trump is hardly the first president to employ some. The last occupant of the White House, Barrack Obama was known to employ more than his share of it, saying things like:
                            • "If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun."
                            • "argue with your neighbors. Get in their face."
                            • "Punch back twice as hard."

1. They were obviously for theatrical purposes since they even included large "timers." Considering that mail bombs don't utilize timers to detonate them the maker was far more concerned in making something that looked like a bomb (a Hollywood version of one at that)

2. Before the shooting he asked if those out on the field were Republicans or Democrats

3. He was in critical condition for several days as a result of the shooting and was hospitalized for 6 weeks.
                            I should have added Hillary's VP running mate to the cadre of notable Democrats appearing to endorse uncivil behavior if not outright violence.

Not too long ago Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) was on MSNBC's Morning Joe telling co-host Mika Brzezinski that Democrats needed to "fight in the streets" in order to combat the Trump Administration.

Apparently that is exactly what Kaine's youngest son "Woody" does as a member of Antifa and who was arrested in Minnesota for taking part in an attack on a pro-Trump rally at the state capitol resulting in the injury of a female Trump supporter and later charged with three misdemeanors. Other charges were dismissed and he made a plea deal resulting in his being sentenced to a year of probation and ordered to pay $236 fine (never hurts to have a powerful politically connected daddy).

And since I'm making additions I ought to also mention this incident in Massachusetts where Senate Candidate Shiva, who was running against Elizabeth Warren got punched by one of her supporters.

Comment