Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Overnight Poll Numbers For Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Yeah, no she didn't. His side glance at the beginning put her right in her place, and she never recovered, despite her feeble attempts.
    Yeah... well... that's not what the Internet is saying... so... not so much. Pelosi is rapidly emerging as the political hero of the left (and quite of few of us anti-Trump, more moderate types). I think there's a good chance she'll keep Trump busy for the rest of his term. Then the campaign will start to kick in and hopefully he'll be so busy campaigning and watching cable TV that there won't be too much more damage done.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I think a wine glass teetering on the edge of a table is an apt analogy for Nutsy Pelosi.
      Yeah, I thought the story was very reminiscent of her skills. That's why I shared it.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Yeah... well... that's not what the Internet is saying... so... not so much. Pelosi is rapidly emerging as the political hero of the left. I think there's a good chance she'll keep Trump busy for the rest of his term. Then the campaign will start to kick in and hopefully he'll be so busy campaigning and watching cable TV that there won't be too much more damage done.
        So you scoot on over to left-wing blogs and websites which confirm your biases ... color me surprised

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          So you scoot on over to left-wing blogs and websites which confirm your biases ... color me surprised
          No - I was actually on Twitter following Trump...

But you're right, "twitter" is not the entire Internet, so my statement was a bit too broad.

But what is trending on Twitter is pretty clear - and Twitter is certainly not limited to left or right...

Try going there and just search on SOTU or #SOTU. You'll see what I mean.

ETA: BTW, I was amused to note that part of Trumps speech echoed another previous president. As I recall, Nixon also called for an end to the "partisan investigations." He didn't do so with such a lame attempt at rhyming as "If there is to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation." Even the Republicans didn't know what to do with THAT one...
          Last edited by carpedm9587; 02-06-2019, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Yeah... well... that's not what the Internet is saying... so... not so much. Pelosi is rapidly emerging as the political hero of the left (and quite of few of us anti-Trump, more moderate types). I think there's a good chance she'll keep Trump busy for the rest of his term. Then the campaign will start to kick in and hopefully he'll be so busy campaigning and watching cable TV that there won't be too much more damage done.
            Yeah, along with the kid who fell asleep. "Hero of the left" is a vanishingly low bar these days.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Yeah, along with the kid who fell asleep. "Hero of the left" is a vanishingly low bar these days.
              Your opinion is duly noted, OBP.

Comment

Yeah... well... that's not what the Internet is saying... so... not so much.
                Ah... the Internet. I suppose your date is a French model too?

Pelosi is rapidly emerging as the political hero of the left.
                And you say that like it's a good thing?

I think there's a good chance she'll keep Trump busy for the rest of his term. Then the campaign will start to kick in and hopefully he'll be so busy campaigning and watching cable TV that there won't be too much more damage done.
                So, you admit she's an obstructionist. We'll make a centrist out of you yet, Carp
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

No - because she upstaged Trump with a clap of the hand - and a handful of papers.
                  "Upstaged" isn't the word I would have used. She seemed, shall we say, "distracted" during the speech. At one point everyone in the chamber was standing and applauding to show their respects to a family who's patriarchs had been recently murdered by an illegal alien, and Pelosi was caught on camera staring fixedly down at the papers in her hand while Trump and Pence were looking up at the gallery and clapping. Was she addled, or was it a deliberate show of disrespect? I suspect the former, because later in the speech following another standing ovation, Pelosi was again caught on camera staring fixedly at her papers, apparently oblivious to the fact that the rest of the room had sat down. Trump continued his speech and was several words in before Pelosi glanced up and seemed genuinely startled that she was the only one left standing and quickly took her seat.

So, yeah, "upstaged" in the same way that a senile aunt "upstages" her niece at her birthday party.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yeah, I thought the story was very reminiscent of her skills. That's why I shared it.
                    I'm not talking about the story, I mean the image of a wine glass teetering on the edge of the table and about to fall is a good analogy for Pelosi.

(Although I suspect you were being deliberately obtuse.)
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-06-2019, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Ah... the Internet. I suppose your date is a French model too?
                      No - it's just one way of reflecting trends...

And you say that like it's a good thing?

So, you admit she's an obstructionist. We'll make a centrist out of you yet, Carp
                      Oh she's an obstructionist in several ways - but then politics has been about obstruction for many years now. It's kind of hard to tell who is obstructing whom these days.

But anyone who puts a brake on Trump's worst impulses is OK in my book, and I'm truly starting to admire this lady. I've been hoping for something that can put a check on Trump until he can be shown the door. It looks like that may have happened.

Comment

"Upstaged" isn't the word I would have used. She seemed, shall we say, "distracted" during the speech. At one point everyone in the chamber was standing and applauding to show their respects to a family who's patriarchs had been recently murdered by an illegal alien, and Pelosi was caught on camera staring fixedly down at the papers in her hand while Trump and Pence were looking up at the gallery and clapping. Was she addled, or was it a deliberate show of disrespect?
                        Not sure - didn't see the entire speech. But she did have Trump's speech in written form in her hand (apparently), so she may simply have been distracted. Somehow I doubt she intended disrespect for anyone who suffered a personal loss. On the other hand - had I been in here place, I would have been struggling with how to honor them without affirming Trump's "immigrants are violent" rhetoric, of which that was a part.

I suspect the former, because later in the speech following another standing ovation, Pelosi was again caught on camera staring fixedly at her papers, apparently oblivious to the fact that the rest of the room had sat down. Trump continued his speech and was several words in before Pelosi glanced up and seemed genuinely startled that she was the only one left standing and quickly took her seat.
                        Yeah - ya gotta hate those "oopsie moments.

So, yeah, "upstaged" in the same way that a senile aunt "upstages" her niece at her birthday party.
                        And yet the buzz I'm finding online is about "the clap" and second to that is the dead air that followed the "big rhyme." At least, it is on twitter.

Comment

I'm not talking about the story, I mean the image of a wine glass teetering on the edge of the table and about to fall is a good analogy for Pelosi.

(Although I suspect you were being deliberately obtuse.)
                          I was...

Comment

...she may simply have been distracted...
                            And obviously so. It was awkward.

And yet the buzz I'm finding online is about "the clap" and second to that is the dead air that followed the "big rhyme." At least, it is on twitter.
                            That's the "buzz" from left-wing sources, at any rate, who are trying to claim (rather desperately, I think) that Pelosi was a masterclass of calculated contempt throughout Trump's speech and commanded the audience's full attention from beginning to end. Yeah, not so much. The few times I consciously noticed her was when she was doing her clearly unintentional clueless old lady routine. I actually thought that after Trump, Mike Pence had the most commanding presence on the dais.

Pelosi, on the other hand, was just kinda... there...

Comment

And obviously so. It was awkward.

That's the "buzz" from left-wing sources, at any rate, who are trying to claim (rather desperately, I think) that Pelosi was a masterclass of calculated contempt throughout Trump's speech and commanded the audience's full attention from beginning to end. Yeah, not so much.
                              Oh there is no doubt that the posters are from the left, MM. I think I said that. She is becoming the hero of the left. I can't imagine too many on the right holding that view. But it's not "left wing sources." Or, at least, those are not the sources I am citing. I was specifically talking about what is trending on twitter, which is hardly a "leftist" platform. After all - it's the primary outlet for Mr. Trump.

The few times I consciously noticed her was when she was doing her clearly unintentional clueless old lady routine. I actually thought that after Trump, Mike Pence had the most commanding presence on the dais.

Pelosi, on the other hand, was just kinda... there...
                              Yeah - your assessment doesn't exactly surprise me, MM. I'm sure it has nothing to do with your predisposition towards Mr. Trump and against Ms. Pelosi.

On the other hand, my opinion is most definitely colored by my dislike for Mr. Trump and my growing admiration for Ms. Pelosi. The so-called, "Clapback heard around the world" (as it is being called by even some of the news outlets), was priceless, IMO. I didn't think Mr. Trump "nailed her" with his gaze. To me, he looked flustered and unsure how to react.

But then again, I am pretty sure I'm not being objective.

Comment

[Pelosi] is becoming the hero of the left.
                                Which goes to show how hard up they are for "heroes".

Comment