Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Overnight Poll Numbers For Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Which goes to show how hard up they are for "heroes".
    With Trump as the hero of the right... you might want to remember the adage about people in glass houses?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      With Trump as the hero of the right... you might want to remember the adage about people in glass houses?
      You're doing that really broad brush thing again. Trump is, in no way, "my hero", nor is he necessarily "the hero" of "the right".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        You're doing that really broad brush thing again. Trump is, in no way, "my hero", nor is he necessarily "the hero" of "the right".
        You're right. My bad. It should have said:

With Trump as the hero of so many on the right (most notably his "base")...and regularly defended by you (MM), you might want to remember the adage about people in glass houses?
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Which goes to show how hard up they are for "heroes".
          It's not as if it should be a hard position to fill; "bravely" stand up to Trump = instant hero.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You're right. My bad. It should have said:

With Trump as the hero of so many on the right (most notably his "base")...and regularly defended by you (MM), you might want to remember the adage about people in glass houses?
            Trump is certainly not my hero, but I'll defend anyone who I think is being given an unfair shake; for him, that's more or less constant.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Trump is certainly not my hero, but I'll defend anyone who I think is being given an unfair shake; for him, that's more or less constant.
              On that we are not going to agree. Trump is being called out for each and every BS thing he says and does. I have no problem with it. I encourage it. No leader of his poor caliber should be given a pass. He's a liar and a hypocrite. "Set aside the politics of revenge?" My backside. He thrives on the politics of revenge and has practiced them from the start of his campaign - not to mention his career. And his "base" applauds him for it. Regularly. It's "refreshing" they say. But then he calls for everyone else to "play nice?" What a crock...

And he should be loving the attention, if he's consistent. After all, his stated philosophy is, "there's no such thing as bad publicity - just publicity." Well - he's certainly getting a lot of it!

Comment

With Trump as the hero of the right...
                Not even.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

On that we are not going to agree. Trump is being called out for each and every thing he says and does.
                  Fixed that for you, no charge.

Of course you're not going to agree. Your mind's been infected with Trump Derangement Syndrome so badly that you think it's normal.

sigpic

Comment

Fixed that for you, no charge.
                    All you did was twist my words so they would say what you wanted them to say... which is not a fix. It's just dishonest. IMO, it's a cheap tactic and a childish way to engage. I'm sure that opinion will impress you bigly...

Of course you're not going to agree. Your mind's been infected with Trump Derangement Syndrome so badly that you think it's normal.
                    Yeah... and then before that was ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome), and CDS (Clinton Derangement Syndrome), and BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome), and even THS (Trump Heroworship Syndrome), and all of the other ways that people just label someone they disagree with and then summarily dismiss their opinion. It's a story old as sentience...

You don't really think "TDS" is actually a meaningful argument, do you?
                    Last edited by carpedm9587; 02-06-2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

On that we are not going to agree. Trump is being called out for each and every BS thing he says and does....
                      Just for grins....

The State Of American ‘Fact-Checking’ Is Completely Useless
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

All you did was twist my words so they would say what you wanted them to say... which is not a fix. It's just dishonest. IMO, it's a cheap tactic and a childish way to engage. I'm sure that opinion will impress you bigly...
                        I changed them to more accurately reflect the truth. I've long ago given up any idea that I might impress you with something or change your mind. Are we done pontificating about not caring what the other thinks, now?
                        Yeah... and then before that was ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome), and CDS (Clinton Derangement Syndrome), and BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome), and even THS (Trump Heroworship Syndrome), and all of the other ways that people just label someone they disagree with and then summarily dismiss their opinion. It's a story old as sentience...

You don't really think "TDS" is actually a meaningful argument, do you?
                        You might have a point if 1) TDS was anything like the level of the others AND 2) if I was actually using it as some sort of dismissive label. I'm not. I think it is dead on accurate (oh, and 3) if I was using it as some sort of argument, which I'm not).

sigpic

Comment

On that we are not going to agree. Trump is being called out for each and every BS thing he says and does. I have no problem with it. I encourage it. No leader of his poor caliber should be given a pass. He's a liar and a hypocrite. "Set aside the politics of revenge?" My backside. He thrives on the politics of revenge and has practiced them from the start of his campaign - not to mention his career. And his "base" applauds him for it. Regularly. It's "refreshing" they say. But then he calls for everyone else to "play nice?" What a crock...

And he should be loving the attention, if he's consistent. After all, his stated philosophy is, "there's no such thing as bad publicity - just publicity." Well - he's certainly getting a lot of it!
                          Getting revenge against your political enemies has been part of politics since humans built the first empires.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            Yeah, no she didn't. His side glance at the beginning put her right in her place, and she never recovered, despite her feeble attempts.
                            You're deluded. She totally owned him.
                            Last edited by Tassman; 02-07-2019, 04:10 AM.
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I changed them to more accurately reflect the truth.
                              No - you changed them to reflect what you believe to be the truth (based on your statement above), so you made them your words, not mine. Like I said, a cheap, childish tactic.

I've long ago given up any idea that I might impress you with something or change your mind.
                              Make a good case, and my mind will change.

Are we done pontificating about not caring what the other thinks, now?
                              I've said nothing about what you think - only what you did.

You might have a point if 1) TDS was anything like the level of the others AND 2) if I was actually using it as some sort of dismissive label. I'm not. I think it is dead on accurate (oh, and 3) if I was using it as some sort of argument, which I'm not).
                              Except it is, fundamentally, a dismissive tactic. Don't like what someone is saying? Just label it "TDS" and we can move on. Again - not a particularly useful tactic if you're trying to actuall make an argument.

And I think I agree with you - this discussion is pointless. Last word to you.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                Getting revenge against your political enemies has been part of politics since humans built the first empires.
                                So why hypocritically insert it into the SOTU? After all - he came out of the gate swinging, and now he wants to call for an end?

It will be interesting to see if he leads by example. I'm thinking a) he won't, and b) he (and his base) will blame it on someone else.

Comment