Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

You Say You Want An Evolution!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Say You Want An Evolution!

This is for my Christian brothers and sisters. Do you believe in evolution, that all species came about from a common ancestor? Is that belief consistent with Scripture?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    This is for my Christian brothers and sisters. Do you believe in evolution, that all species came about from a common ancestor? Is that belief consistent with Scripture?

No.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      No.
      Cool, see if more Christians will agree...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

"Believe"? No. Accept the cross correlating, corroborating, consilient positive evidence from dozens of separate and independent scientific disciplines for it that quite literally continues to amass on a daily basis? Yes.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          "Believe"? No. Accept the cross correlating, corroborating, consilient positive evidence from dozens of separate and independent scientific disciplines for it that quite literally continues to amass on a daily basis? Yes.
          See, I understand this view, but I also understand that the whole world "lies in wickedness" and that the "god of this world" is a deceiver. So I hold out the real possibly that even science is so deceived.

Comment

See, I understand this view, but I also understand that the whole world "lies in wickedness" and that the "god of this world" is a deceiver. So I hold out the real possibly that even science is so deceived.
            Scripture tells us that we can look at the heavens and the earth and gain some insight into the nature of God but if it is designed to give a false impression then that would indeed make God a deceiver, a trickster deity on par with Loki or Coyote. So much for our being without an excuse.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Scripture tells us that we can look at the heavens and the earth and gain some insight into the nature of God but if it is designed to give a false impression then that would indeed make God a deceiver, a trickster deity on par with Loki or Coyote. So much for our being without an excuse.
              That doesn't follow, creation itself points to a powerful Creator, it doesn't say that we can learn how God created things. Human beings have had a lot of false beliefs or understanding about the nature of things over the years.

Comment

I'm divided. I don't have a problem with the idea that evolution could be true, or that the earth could be millions of years old, and don't believe that these things being true would necessarily undermine scripture, but I'm not convinced that the evidence we have points in a singular direction, either, so I take the matter as an open question and don't really dwell on it.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The Bible speaks of God giving people up to their delusions and allowing them to believe the lies they so desperately want to believe, and Jesus talked in parables to deliberately obscure his message from those who had no interest in the truth.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Brutal honesty - I know what the Bible says, and I believe the Bible is the Word of God. I know SOME of what Science says, and that apparently is a problem with the Biblical record.

My job, as I see it, is to preach Jesus, crucified, buried and risen again. There are a lot of things I don't know, and there are a lot of things I know but don't understand. To me, it's all about Jesus.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This video (first of several in a series) may give a starting point to investigate evidence of a younger universe.

The speaker is Spike Psarris -- which can be searched for additional papers.

Comment

I believe in an old earth, but not in evolution, although if it were true I don't think it invalidates.

To me the whole issue is not important to my faith. Was the earth made in 7 days? in 7 seconds? in 7 million years? I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          The Bible speaks of God giving people up to their delusions and allowing them to believe the lies they so desperately want to believe, and Jesus talked in parables to deliberately obscure his message from those who had no interest in the truth.
                          Those are folks who are opposed to God not people simply seeking truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Brutal honesty - I know what the Bible says, and I believe the Bible is the Word of God. I know SOME of what Science says, and that apparently is a problem with the Biblical record.

My job, as I see it, is to preach Jesus, crucified, buried and risen again. There are a lot of things I don't know, and there are a lot of things I know but don't understand. To me, it's all about Jesus.
                            I think it is more of an issue with specific interpretations of what the Bible says and not the Bible itself. We saw the same thing take place again and again with scientific discoveries with the most obvious example being the geocentric debate involving Copernicus, Galileo and Kepler. There were many a theologian and other Christian leaders that denounced the concept of the earth orbiting the sun and not vice versa as flying squarely in the face of what Scripture plainly says. They were wrong.

As to the second part, you are absolutely ri.... You are corre... You're riiiii... You aren't wrong. And Sparko isn't wrong (for once) either when he says that it "is not important to my faith." Simply put our salvation does not hang on whether the earth is billions or thousands of years old. Nor does it depend on whether life has changed and adapted over time after it first arose or was zapped into existence as it is now ex nihilo. What matters is our faith in Jesus as our Savior.
                            Last edited by rogue06; 02-12-2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                              This video (first of several in a series) may give a starting point to investigate evidence of a younger universe.

The speaker is Spike Psarris -- which can be searched for additional papers.
                              Do you think you could offer what you think is the strongest argument in favor of a young earth rather than simply saying watch this nearly 2 hour long video?

Comment