Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

You Say You Want An Evolution!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    OK rogue, so back to the Adam question. Given that Scripture is clear that all human beings alive today are descendants of one man Adam (who lived between 5-16 thousand years ago given gaps in the Biblical geologies), how can that be reconciled with the theory of evolution? You hold a high regard for the theory but it is clearly at odds with the Biblical claims. I think the Christian must choose between the two.
    It would depend on how we define human. There could very well be a biblical definition that doesn't correspond to the scientific one.

And I'm glad that you appear to have abandoned your "kinds" claim even though you rose it as an objection.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      It would depend on how we define human. There could very well be a biblical definition that doesn't correspond to the scientific one.

And I'm glad that you appear to have abandoned your "kinds" claim even though you rose it as an objection.
      As far as kinds, what I'm getting from you is that there are no kinds, nothing fixed at least. And I'm not talking about defining what a human is, my point is that all humans alive today (as we define them today) are the descendants one pair of humans who lived between 5-16 thousand years ago. So which do you choose, Scripture or the theory of Evolution?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

As far as kinds, what I'm getting from you is that there are no kinds, nothing fixed at least. And I'm not talking about defining what a human is, my point is that all humans alive today (as we define them today) are the descendants one pair of humans who lived between 5-16 thousand years ago. So which do you choose, Scripture or the theory of Evolution?
        In essence, each kind gives rise to its own kind - (in the case of sexually reproduction) interbreeding is possible between offspring of one pair (or pairs) in a kind - and that state will continue in play through many generations - with remixing making interbreeding viable. However, slight variations exist between the parent and child - and where interbreeding is no longer an option, the cumulative effect of the variations over generations will eventually result in more than one kind. At each step, a kind reproduces its own kind.

Repeating - IN ESSENCE.

In Australia a single species of parrot extends its range from the far north and east coast, south as far as is possible, then west to around the mid point and swinging back east - about half way to the east coast. These parrots can interbreed with parrots from an adjacent region, but not with parrots further afield. So - exterminate all the parrots of this species in any intermediate region, and the result would be two different species.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I believe we've gone over this
          Originally posted by seer View Post

And I noticed you did not touch Adam being the biological father of all living humans, which I suspect that evolutionary theory would disagree with.
          Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I have no reason to doubt that Adam and Eve existed. I'm a theistic evolutionist (or evolutionary creationist if you prefer).
          Originally posted by seer View Post
          So you believe that all living humans come from one set of parents. Would evolutionary theory agree?
          Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          So I see you aren't really interested in defining what "kinds" are. Without one it would appear that your objection is baseless.

As to your question, personally I think evolutionary theory is silent on this since there are several possible ways for it to take place. I kinda think it has a lot to do with how one defines "human" and suspect that the Biblical definition may not be in complete accord with the scientific one.

I've been noodling out a way to best explain this much like I have with the differences between appearance of age v. appearance of history and the polemic nature of Genesis 1 but have yet to fully flesh it out.
          Although I doubt that it was as recent as 5 to 16,000 years ago.

And it isn't what I think about "kinds" that matters, but the fact that those who claim they are fixed cannot offer any sort of standard definition for them equating them at any given moment to species and genus all the way up to phyla, kingdom and even domain. That sort of makes them an utterly useless classification, wouldn't you agree?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

In Australia a single species of parrot extends its range from the far north and east coast, south as far as is possible, then west to around the mid point and swinging back east - about half way to the east coast. These parrots can interbreed with parrots from an adjacent region, but not with parrots further afield. So - exterminate all the parrots of this species in any intermediate region, and the result would be two different species.
            Ring species. There are several examples of them that are well known.

Comment

I believe we've gone over this

Although I doubt that it was as recent as 5 to 16,000 years ago.

And it isn't what I think about "kinds" that matters, but the fact that those who claim they are fixed cannot offer any sort of standard definition for them equating them at any given moment to species and genus all the way up to phyla, kingdom and even domain. That sort of makes them an utterly useless classification, wouldn't you agree?
              Back to Adam, how on earth do you get past 16,000 years even with gaps in the Biblical genealogy?

As to your question, personally I think evolutionary theory is silent on this since there are several possible ways for it to take place. I kinda think it has a lot to do with how one defines "human" and suspect that the Biblical definition may not be in complete accord with the scientific one.

I've been noodling out a way to best explain this much like I have with the differences between appearance of age v. appearance of history and the polemic nature of Genesis 1 but have yet to fully flesh it out.
              I don't think that evolution can be reconciled with the Biblical account of the creation of man, so I assume that you would choose Scripture over evolutionary theory.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• For myself. Were it demonstrated that the record of Adam and Eve conflicted with Evolutionary theory, truth being more important than dogma, I'd go with evolutionary theory.
                Simply on the grounds that nothing can legitimately make the record show more than 6 000 years since Adam and Eve, certain parts of the Biblical record are already demonstrated inaccurate.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

For myself. Were it demonstrated that the record of Adam and Eve conflicted with Evolutionary theory, truth being more important than dogma, I'd go with evolutionary theory.
                  Simply on the grounds that nothing can legitimately make the record show more than 6 000 years since Adam and Eve, certain parts of the Biblical record are already demonstrated inaccurate.
                  Then I would question why you would remain a Christian since Adam is key to the fall of man and the necessity of redemption.

Comment

Then I would question why you would remain a Christian since Adam is key to the fall of man and the necessity of redemption.
                    That God (the Christian God) exists has been satisfactorily demonstrated. That Christ is the key to redemption, and that there is a need for redemption, is satisfactorily demonstrated, as is the fact that attaining to redemption is beyond natural human ability. Then there is the fact that the creation of Adam and Eve - and the whole creation story related in Genesis - given that the story is wholly set in Eden (the actual creation of Adam excepted), has nothing to do with events on this world.
                    In short, demonstrating the story of creation as recounted in Genesis to be in conflict with evolution is about as likely as demonstrating that the world is flat.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

That God (the Christian God) exists has been satisfactorily demonstrated. That Christ is the key to redemption, and that there is a need for redemption, is satisfactorily demonstrated, as is the fact that attaining to redemption is beyond natural human ability. Then there is the fact that the creation of Adam and Eve - and the whole creation story related in Genesis - given that the story is wholly set in Eden (the actual creation of Adam excepted), has nothing to do with events on this world.
                      In short, demonstrating the story of creation as recounted in Genesis to be in conflict with evolution is about as likely as demonstrating that the world is flat.
                      Why is redemption needed? Sin entered into the world by one man, no Adam, no sin entering the world no need for redemption. We are just animals working out our evolutionary biology in behavior.

Comment

Back to Adam, how on earth do you get past 16,000 years even with gaps in the Biblical genealogy?

I don't think that evolution can be reconciled with the Biblical account of the creation of man, so I assume that you would choose Scripture over evolutionary theory.
                        I'm trying to work on a more general response that may take awhile to cobble together. Quite honestly I have so many points I want to discuss that I'm having trouble deciding on where to start. Hopefully when I finally have that figured out the rest will flow easier. Hopefully.

As for the genealogy, I'll point to the first verse in Matthew where we read:

The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham

I think we can all agree that this is an abbreviated account that misses quite a lot (and Matthew precedes to fill in the blanks). But the point is that the genealogies we have for the patriarchs could be similar, only touching upon the most famous/important ancestors with millenia long gaps in between (which is what we see separating Jesus from David from Abraham).

Moreover, around Jesus time the dating for the patriarchs was still quite fluid with some massive differences. This can be seen when we compare the Massoretic, Septuagint and Samaritan Pentateuch

All of this suggests that their dating is not to be viewed as set in stone.

Comment

I'm trying to work on a more general response that may take awhile to cobble together. Quite honestly I have so many points I want to discuss that I'm having trouble deciding on where to start. Hopefully when I finally have that figured out the rest will flow easier. Hopefully.

I think we can all agree that this is an abbreviated account that misses quite a lot (and Matthew precedes to fill in the blanks). But the point is that the genealogies we have for the patriarchs could be similar, only touching upon the most famous/important ancestors with millenia long gaps in between (which is what we see separating Jesus from David from Abraham).

Moreover, around Jesus time the dating for the patriarchs was still quite fluid with some massive differences. This can be seen when we compare the Massoretic, Septuagint and Samaritan Pentateuch

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36112[/ATTACH]

Right, that is why I said there are gaps. I have seen it possibly stretched out to 15,000 years at the outside. But we could get nowhere near what would be required for the first parents in the evolutionary sense which would be about 250,000 ago years from what I gather.

Comment

For myself[:] Were it demonstrated that the record of Adam and Eve conflicted with Evolutionary theory, truth being more important than dogma, I'd go with evolutionary theory.
                            Simply on the grounds that nothing can legitimately make the record show more than 6[,]000 years since Adam and Eve, certain parts of the Biblical record are already demonstrated inaccurate.
                            Then may I say, with the greatest of respect, that you hold a perilous hermeneutic that is bound to crumble and fall. The redemptive story of the Bible must be considered every bit as suspect as the creational accounts if the latter are unreliable and disharmonious with the truth.
                            For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

• Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
                              Then may I say, with the greatest of respect, that you hold a perilous hermeneutic that is bound to crumble and fall. The redemptive story of the Bible must be considered every bit as suspect as the creational accounts if the latter are unreliable and disharmonious with the truth.
                              Potted histories are inherently inaccurate - and the Genesis account prior to Abraham (at least) is a potted history. Once Moses comes on the scene, the accounts are reasonably reliable. However, "satisfactorily demonstrated" (which is the term I used) is not a claim that the Bible is the sole source of that demonstration.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Matthew specifies three groups of 14 generations - he doesn't allow gaps. (Matt 1:17) So all the generations from Abraham to David totaled fourteen generations, and from David to the deportation to Babylon totaled fourteen generations, and from the deportation to Babylon to the Messiah there were fourteen generations.
                                Matthew's genealogy does not match that of Luke, right down to Joseph (Mary's husband) having a different father.

Checking - Noah through Abraham being the most significant.
                                Last edited by tabibito; 04-06-2019, 09:53 PM.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment