Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Liberation Theology Destroys Local Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberation Theology Destroys Local Church

Let's call him John. About my age, been in the ministry for about as long as I have (over 45 years) and he has been a friend for over 30 years.

He's about 5' 22", about 350 lbs, a very friendly man with a gentlemanly demeanor -- until recently.

He is the pastor of a local mostly African-American Church, and he has been a dynamic preacher of the Gospel.

About 15 years ago, he began to change. We used to go to lunch together, our wives were friends, my kids knew and played with his kids.

Then he got into Liberation Theology. Most of the non-African-Americans in his Church left. In fact, so did most of his congregation.

He used to preach to 250-300 on a Sunday Morning, now he's 'blessed' if he has 20 to 25 people. And they tend to be somewhat radical Liberation Theology-ists, as well.

Local churches take turns providing Wednesday lunch for our local college "Baptist Student Outreach", and the church providing the meal also provides the speaker for a devotional or sermonette or object lesson.

We had to dis-invite John. When it was his turn to 'speak', you could count on it being a racist rant, how the "white Churches" in town were out to destroy him, how his congregation was failing because "the white churches" have told his people not to go to his Church anymore, and he even named names of pastors, including me. That was rather heartbreaking, because I have been a real supporter of his, even serving on the Church Loan Board that provided funds for his church building, on which he subsequently defaulted, though he personally drives a fairly new Cadillac Escapade (I think I mean Escalade) and appears to be "living large".

The last time he was invited to speak at BSO, it was quite a divisive talk, including him giving out his cell phone number and encouraging those in attendance to text him questions having to do with the suppression of the black church. He would respond to those questions "live". I suspect that some of the "texts" he received, and on which he commented, were totally made up by him, because so much of the wording was the same old stuff I'd heard from him before.

His wife was on the board of the BSO, but she became more and more bitter over time, especially when it became necessary to discuss the invitation of speakers for the BSO lunches.

It's truly sad -- he's a good guy, or has been, but I believe he has lost his way.

I'm seriously considering trying to talk to him, and help him understand that the reason his Church is dying is because he has stopped preaching Jesus and started preaching racism. I'm giving this a lot of prayer and thought, and I fully realize this might be the end of any friendship we have left.

It kinda hurts.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Let's call him John. About my age, been in the ministry for about as long as I have (over 45 years) and he has been a friend for over 30 years.

He's about 5' 22", about 350 lbs, a very friendly man with a gentlemanly demeanor -- until recently.

He is the pastor of a local mostly African-American Church, and he has been a dynamic preacher of the Gospel.

About 15 years ago, he began to change. We used to go to lunch together, our wives were friends, my kids knew and played with his kids.

Then he got into Liberation Theology. Most of the non-African-Americans in his Church left. In fact, so did most of his congregation.

He used to preach to 250-300 on a Sunday Morning, now he's 'blessed' if he has 20 to 25 people. And they tend to be somewhat radical Liberation Theology-ists, as well.

Local churches take turns providing Wednesday lunch for our local college "Baptist Student Outreach", and the church providing the meal also provides the speaker for a devotional or sermonette or object lesson.

We had to dis-invite John. When it was his turn to 'speak', you could count on it being a racist rant, how the "white Churches" in town were out to destroy him, how his congregation was failing because "the white churches" have told his people not to go to his Church anymore, and he even named names of pastors, including me. That was rather heartbreaking, because I have been a real supporter of his, even serving on the Church Loan Board that provided funds for his church building, on which he subsequently defaulted, though he personally drives a fairly new Cadillac Escapade (I think I mean Escalade) and appears to be "living large".

The last time he was invited to speak at BSO, it was quite a divisive talk, including him giving out his cell phone number and encouraging those in attendance to text him questions having to do with the suppression of the black church. He would respond to those questions "live". I suspect that some of the "texts" he received, and on which he commented, were totally made up by him, because so much of the wording was the same old stuff I'd heard from him before.

His wife was on the board of the BSO, but she became more and more bitter over time, especially when it became necessary to discuss the invitation of speakers for the BSO lunches.

It's truly sad -- he's a good guy, or has been, but I believe he has lost his way.

I'm seriously considering trying to talk to him, and help him understand that the reason his Church is dying is because he has stopped preaching Jesus and started preaching racism. I'm giving this a lot of prayer and thought, and I fully realize this might be the end of any friendship we have left.

It kinda hurts.
        Trying to help him -- trying to lead him back to the Gospel is well worth the risk of further isolating him. After all (not wanting to sound accusatory) but what sort of friend would let him continue down this path without making some effort to help him?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Trying to help him -- trying to lead him back to the Gospel is well worth the risk of further isolating him. After all (not wanting to sound accusatory) but what sort of friend would let him continue down this path without making some effort to help him?
          I agree - and I've tried "nudging" him, but I think he needs a more frontal approach. Also, I think I can guilt him (like a Jewish Mother) for "calling me out" in that one meeting where he has to know full well that was a back-stabbing moment on his part.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jesus is about unifying his church, not dividing it. Your friend seems bent on dividing it and blaming others for it being divided.

Colossians 3:11
            Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

Comment

The so-called "social justice gospel" is a horrible misuse of THE gospel.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                The so-called "social justice gospel" is a horrible misuse of THE gospel.
                When you start blaming your fellow Christians for your problems and expect them to cater to you, you have left the gospel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  When you start blaming your fellow Christians for your problems and expect them to cater to you, you have left the gospel.
                  Yup.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    Yup.
                    in fact, we Christians are promised enough persecution from the world. We don't need to blame our brothers and sisters too.

Comment

I think he's a victim of his own vicious cycle ---

He started latching on to Liberation Theology (probably spurred on or encouraged by the Jeremiah Wright fiasco)
                      His congregation began to shrivel up because he was no longer preaching Jesus
                      He blames his congregation's failure on the WHITE people destroying his Church
                      He preaches Liberation Theology even more
                      rinse, repeat

Comment

What is liberation theology? Did they miss that Christianity already cares for the poor and oppressed(it's pretty clear that God does not like opression), so there's no need to go off the deep end!
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I think he's a victim of his own vicious cycle ---

He started latching on to Liberation Theology (probably spurred on or encouraged by the Jeremiah Wright fiasco)
                          His congregation began to shrivel up because he was no longer preaching Jesus
                          He blames his congregation's failure on the WHITE people destroying his Church
                          He preaches Liberation Theology even more
                          rinse, repeat
                          Well if he he preaching against white people, it only makes sense the white people would leave and any blacks that don't want to see whites being singled out.

Comment

Mercy in this situation, and wisdom to you, CP...
                            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

The door for ministering to this Pastor friend has, apparently, been slammed shut. He is angry at me because I'm a police chaplain, and one of my officers discovered his wife in the parking lot of his church experiencing in 'indiscretions' with one of his church members. It's all my fault.

Comment