Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Tax derail - Abortion

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    What twins shows is that the dna is not the sole determiner of who and what the individual will be. The unique environment of the womb, even the same womb, plays a part. The zygote becomes the individual during gestation. It is not the individual yet, but has the potential to become one.

Or more.

Jim
    It is a self-contained and self-directing organism of our species that has a small percentage chance of splitting into 2 separate self-contained and self-directing organisms. But that split does not eliminate the original zygote's status as a self-contained and self-directing organism of our species. It is an individual, until it becomes multiple individuals.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      It is a self-contained and self-directing organism of our species that has a small percentage chance of splitting into 2 separate self-contained and self-directing organisms. But that split does not eliminate the original zygote's status as a self-contained and self-directing organism of our species. It is an individual, until it becomes multiple individuals.
      You can't avoid the implication it is not an individual until at least a significant portion of gestation has completed. Twins are completely different people yet they are the same DNA and originate from the same DNA. The potential to create an individual does not define who that individual will be. Different environments can change the outcome is what Twins show us. Triplets, Quartets. now we have 3, or 4. Even if they are identical, they are all different individuals with the same DNA.
      Who that zygote can become can't be determined from the zygote alone, because there is more to come - gestation.

The zygote has the potential to become an individual. It is not yet an individual.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You can't avoid the implication it is not an individual until at least a significant portion of gestation has completed.
        It's YOU who can't avoid the implication that it's an individual until it's not. Whether that is because of splitting in two (or more) or dying.

Twins are completely different people yet they are the same DNA and originate from the same DNA.
        Again, that does not make the original zygote a non-individual. It is an individual until it splits into 2 individuals or more.

The potential to create an individual does not define who that individual will be.
        Never claimed otherwise.

Different environments can change the outcome is what Twins show us. Triplets, Quartets. now we have 3, or 4. Even if they are identical, they are all different individuals with the same DNA.
        But their genetic sequences are slightly different due to epigenetic changes., thus making them different individuals.

Who that zygote can become can't be determined from the zygote alone, because there is more to come - gestation.
        Who is talking about what they can become? We are talking about whether or not they are individual members of our species, and therefore should be afforded protection from being destroyed.

The zygote has the potential to become an individual. It is not yet an individual.
        Wrong. It is an individual, unless and until it splits into multiple individuals in the case of identical twins. Otherwise, if it doesn't split, it remains a single individual member of our species for the remainder of its life.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          When I was a Christian I took the view that if indeed "a soul" was something that existed in and of itself that created inside of / put inside of humans, then God would decide a sensible time to do that based on his omniscience and general competence. Since over half of conceived embryos die naturally and do not survive to term, it would seem a bit silly for God to put souls into them at conception, and it would seem more sensible for him to wait until they had survived the part where they were likely to die. Depending on his level of foreknowledge (open theism etc) he may know exactly whether a fetus would survive to term and so presumably wouldn't bother to put a soul into a fetus that was going to die pre-birth. Alternatively he could simply recycle the soul of a fetus that didn't get a chance at life back into a new fetus, until it got to live a length of life he deemed acceptable.

So as a Christian I always found it difficult to care at all about the abortion issue, because I couldn't see any reason to think God didn't have the issue well in hand, and the Bible doesn't place any emphasis on anti-abortion views to the extent that it even mentions the subject at all.
          that is known as "rationalization" - coming up with a reason that your values are not from the pit of hell by imagining God will cover the back of child murderers.

Comment

The zygote is not an individual, yet. Proof? One word:

Twins

Jim
            A zygote can't be twins. It takes at least two cells to split into twins. A zygote is a single fertilized cell. A twin can split at the two cell stage or later, at which point it becomes two distinct individuals. So a zygote is still always an individual human being. And at no stage after fertilization are any of the cells part of the mother or father. They are a distinct individual human being from either.

Comment

You can't avoid the implication it is not an individual until at least a significant portion of gestation has completed. Twins are completely different people yet they are the same DNA and originate from the same DNA. The potential to create an individual does not define who that individual will be. Different environments can change the outcome is what Twins show us. Triplets, Quartets. now we have 3, or 4. Even if they are identical, they are all different individuals with the same DNA.

Jim
              what definition of "individual" are you using?

Comment

The zygote is not an individual, yet. Proof? One word:

Twins

Jim

By that logic, cloning had elimated individuals.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  A zygote can't be twins. It takes at least two cells to split into twins. A zygote is a single fertilized cell. A twin can split at the two cell stage or later, at which point it becomes two distinct individuals. So a zygote is still always an individual human being. And at no stage after fertilization are any of the cells part of the mother or father. They are a distinct individual human being from either.
                  No - it is not. It is a potential human or humans. If it was 'an individual human being' as it was, it could not then become and direct the formation of two DIFFERENT human beings. It can't be 'an individual' but 'not an individual' at the same time Sparko. Why the obstinance - it's a fairly obvious conclusion?

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                    By that logic, cloning had elimated individuals.
                    No silly, cloning creates multiple zygotes which then can create multiple individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      what definition of "individual" are you using?
                      BTC is saying the zygote is the embodiment of the final baby, that the zygote is for all practical purposes the same as the final baby. Clearly , it is not, as it can produce >1 baby. And those two babies are NOT identical in every way. They are individuals plural. So the zygote is a potential human being, but not a human being yet. And in fact, it can - under the right circumstances - produce more than 1 human being, which is why clearly more than just the zygote is required to determine it's final product, which is why one can't say it IS the individual. More than the zygote is required to create the baby, and variations along the way can and will produce different babies.

Jim

Comment

BTC is saying the zygote is the embodiment of the final baby, that the zygote is for all practical purposes the same as the final baby.
                        In most all cases, yes. Identical twins is an exception to the 1 to 1 ratio, but increasing the second number does not decrease the first. YOU continue to claim that 0 "becomes" 1 or 2 or 3, etc.

Clearly , it is not, as it can produce >1 baby. And those two babies are NOT identical in every way. They are individuals plural.
                        Again, it still doesn't change the fact that the single cell zygote is a fully contained member of our species. That sometimes, it can split into more than one is irrelevant to the original point. It's a unique human life that will NEVER start as 0.

So the zygote is a potential human being, but not a human being yet.
                        Wrong. It is a human being that MAY become more than one human being in the right circumstance.

And in fact, it can - under the right circumstances - produce more than 1 human being, which is why clearly more than just the zygote is required to determine it's final product, which is why one can't say it IS the individual.
                        It's AN individual until/if it becomes more than one.

More than the zygote is required to create the baby, and variations along the way can and will produce different babies.
                        That is biological ignorance. Nothing more than a sperm and egg uniting is required to make a baby. That more than one can be produced is immaterial to that fact.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

No silly, cloning creates multiple zygotes which then can create multiple individuals.
                          You can be cloned too.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror
                            You can be cloned right now.
                            But that clone will not be me

Comment

But that clone will not be me
                              And identical twins are not the same people either, so there’s your answer.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

No - it is not. It is a potential human or humans. If it was 'an individual human being' as it was, it could not then become and direct the formation of two DIFFERENT human beings. It can't be 'an individual' but 'not an individual' at the same time Sparko. Why the obstinance - it's a fairly obvious conclusion?

Jim
                                "Potential human" ... you claim to be opposed to abortion but use the language favored by pro-abortionists.

At the moment of conception, the organism is not potential human life, it is ACTUAL human life.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment