Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A New Model to Stop the Next School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Good point. Any teacher who poses such a danger shouldn't be in a classroom in the first place.
    Are you nuts? I'm not talking about teachers that would use them against the students! I'm talking about teacher that aren't qualified to handle a gun. Their mentality, temperment, training is completely different from what is required to be a policeman or bodyguard or other protective civll servant. What are you gonna do, send every teacher to boot camp so they can learn how to differentiate in a split second between a mortal threat and a kid being stupid, or holding something that just sorta looks like a gun? You gonna fire every teacher that can't pass that training? And what about all those teachers too naive to figure out who the bullies are, or to successfully stop the kids from acting out in class? This is just stupid. Teachers are not policeman and they are grossly underpaid as it is. Arming teachers is NOT a solution.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Oh good grief. Enough of them. Where you ever in school?
      You're doing this thing again where you are apparently mad at others, so you're being a jerk to me. This really gets old.

All I did was simply asked you to back up your assertion. If you can't do that, just admit it.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Are you nuts? I'm not talking about teachers that would use them against the students! I'm talking about teacher that aren't qualified to handle a gun.
        Please read my earlier post again:

I'm not saying that teachers should be randomly handed guns, or that everybody should be compelled to carry, but rather those who wish to carry and who have passed appropriate certification should be allowed to do so.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Also, I'm not saying that teachers should be randomly handed guns, or that everybody should be compelled to carry, but rather those who wish to carry and who have passed appropriate certification should be allowed to do so. This in addition to armed security.
          Apparently this is far too radical a concept for some to even consider. I wonder, since 76% of our primary school teachers are female, if there's some prejudice in opposing teachers WHO CHOOSE to be involved in this WITH PROPER TRAINING.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            You're doing this thing again where you are apparently mad at others, so you're being a jerk to me. This really gets old.

All I did was simply asked you to back up your assertion. If you can't do that, just admit it.
            Who is being a jerk to who CP?

Why would you demand some sort of proof that the average teacher would tend to be unqualifed to serve armed? It's like asking for proof that kids like chocolate.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Please read my earlier post again:
              That post didn't exist when I replied (or rather when the computer cached the set of posts I was replying to at that moment). I replied to you suggesting we arm them without qualification.

Even if we limit it to the teachers willing, we've still lost if that is the direction we go with this. And it's still an accident waiting to happen. If there is no other option that to put guns in schools, then they need to be in the hands of highly trained people whose sole function is to serve as guards and protectors for the children in the building, not the people who work 60 hours a week already to teach those children and who are grossly underpaid and undersupported as it is.

Jim

Comment

Who is being a jerk to who CP?
                You to me.

Why would you demand
                I didn't DEMAND it - I asked politely....

What percent of teachers are "completely and utterly unqualified for that role"? Where do you get this information?
                some sort of proof that the average teacher would tend to be unqualifed to serve armed?
                That's not what you said. You said "Most of them are completely and utterly unqualified for that role."

That's a far cry from "the average teacher would tend to be unqualified to serve armed". Apparently, even you realize your first statement was indefensible.

It's like asking for proof that kids like chocolate.

Jim
                No, it's not. But I see you choose to abandon your first claim and modify it considerably. Good job.

Comment

That post didn't exist when I replied (or rather when the computer cached the set of posts I was replying to at that moment). I replied to you suggesting we arm them without qualification.

Even if we limit it to the teachers willing....
                  You left out the part where he said "and who have passed appropriate certification should be allowed to do so. This in addition to armed security."

Comment

Apparently this is far too radical a concept for some to even consider. I wonder, since 76% of our primary school teachers are female, if there's some prejudice in opposing teachers WHO CHOOSE to be involved in this WITH PROPER TRAINING.
                    You'd really put arming teachers with guns in schools ahead of trying reducing access to guns by upset kids? Or increased proactive actions to stop the act before it starts, as in the OP?

Jim

Comment

You'd really put arming teachers with guns in schools ahead of trying reducing access to guns by upset kids?
                      Can you please show where I ever said or implied such a thing? I'm the guy who started this thread, Jim -- "A New Model to Stop the Next School Shooting". Sheeeesh!

Comment

You left out the part where he said "and who have passed appropriate certification should be allowed to do so. This in addition to armed security."
                        That was a different post than the one I replied to CP, it came several posts after the one I replied to. I didn't leave anything out.

Jim

Comment

Can you please show where I ever said or implied such a thing? I'm the guy who started this thread, Jim -- "A New Model to Stop the Next School Shooting". Sheeeesh!
                          I know. That's what is so odd about you slamming me for challenging MM's call for armed teachers in schools. Where you said it was in joining MM in the call for guns rather than pushing back as I did against the call for arming teachers. I think its a bad idea. And I doubt very many teachers would be willing or qualified to do it anyway. The people I've known motivated to teach are trying the help and love children, not prepare to put a bullet in one.

Jim
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-15-2019, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I know. That's what is so odd about you slamming me for challenging MM's call for armed teachers in schools.

Jim
                            I simply asked you to back up a claim, Jim, and you went off the rails.... THEN you jump to the goofy conclusion that I.... sheeesh.

And I started to prove you wrong about what post you replied to, but at this point, I think trying to reason with you is a waste of my time.

What has gotten into you?

Comment

Where you said it was in joining MM in the call for guns rather than pushing back as I did against the call for arming teachers.
                              No - I was simply asking for more information.... for you to back up what I considered to be a goofy claim. That does NOT mean I was "joining MM in the call for guns". That is a wrong conclusion to which you jumped.

Comment

I simply asked you to back up a claim, Jim, and you went off the rails.... THEN you jump to the goofy conclusion that I.... sheeesh.

And I started to prove you wrong about what post you replied to, but at this point, I think trying to reason with you is a waste of my time.

What has gotten into you?
                                What has gotten into you? Right.

Jim

Comment