Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A New Model to Stop the Next School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Model to Stop the Next School Shooting

A New Model to Stop the Next School Shooting

Hmmmmm

SACRAMENTO — The police picked the teenager up from his high school after a terrified classmate told her principal he had threatened to slit her throat. The classmate showed them his Instagram account, where he had posted pictures of the Charleston church gunman with the word “hero” underneath it, and a picture of their school captioned “Columbine 2.0.” The officers didn’t find any guns or explosives in his house, and couldn’t arrest him for the threat, because the girl was too scared to be interviewed. So they brought him in to our mental health crisis unit for an evaluation.

My job was to see if he needed to be hospitalized and treated for a mental illness. But the first question out of my mouth was a totally unprofessional one.

“Which school?”

As a physician, my loyalty is to my patients: listening to their stories, helping them choose medications, then getting them home to their families. But when that patient is a potential school shooter, my loyalties get complicated.

I have two teenage daughters in schools nearby. Intruder drills are just another thread woven into the fabric of their childhood. I imagine when they hear the intercom announcement, their primary reaction is glee at getting out of a math quiz. I picture them huddled under their desks, giggling with their friends.

And then sometimes flashes of the real thing creep in. My daughters at the picnic tables at lunch, their hair shining in the sun. How quickly their heads snap up at the first loud crack, and that frozen second of silence before the terror sets in. Everyone scattering in chaotic efforts to escape, to hide, to live. My daughters have done the drills, but they don’t know how to survive a massacre. Worse than the noise and the blood must be the realization that the adults can’t help you, that you are never safe....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

hopefully catching him early and giving him treatment is the right answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      hopefully catching him early and giving him treatment is the right answer.
      It just makes so much sense to focus on the potential problem kid...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"Worse than the noise and the blood must be the realization that the adults can’t help you..."

They can help if they're not outgunned. Letting teachers arm themselves is a common sense solution to school safety.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          "Worse than the noise and the blood must be the realization that the adults can’t help you..."

They can help if they're not outgunned. Letting teachers arm themselves is a common sense solution to school safety.
          Until you have a teacher go postal and shoot up a school.

Comment

Until you have a teacher go postal and shoot up a school.
            They could do that now, just not with a gun that would legally be on campus...
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              They could do that now, just not with a gun that would legally be on campus...
              Sure but if teachers are packing, then the chances one of them becomes a shooter increases, or that some crazy student gets a hold of the gun because the teacher left it in a desk drawer. I would rather have police stationed at a school than arming a pack of liberal teachers who are probably afraid of guns.

Comment

Sure but if teachers are packing, then the chances one of them becomes a shooter increases, or that some crazy student gets a hold of the gun because the teacher left it in a desk drawer. I would rather have police stationed at a school than arming a pack of liberal teachers who are probably afraid of guns.
                You do realize that this argument could be expanded to include the entire US population, right? This is a classic anti-2nd Amendment argument.

Also, I'm not saying that teachers should be randomly handed guns, or that everybody should be compelled to carry, but rather those who wish to carry and who have passed appropriate certification should be allowed to do so. This in addition to armed security.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

No - if you do that, we've already lost. They are teachers, they are not bodyguards. Most of them are completely and utterly unqualified for that role.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

See my post above. Those who wish it and can demonstrate the appropriate qualifications should be allowed to carry a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      No - if you do that, we've already lost. They are teachers, they are not bodyguards. Most of them are completely and utterly unqualified for that role.

Jim
                      What percent of teachers are "completely and utterly unqualified for that role"? Where do you get this information?

Comment

Interesting article. It demonstrates both the necessity of identifying a problem early and providing sufficient resources to deal with it.
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          Interesting article. It demonstrates both the necessity of identifying a problem early and providing sufficient resources to deal with it.
                          Agreed - it doesn't look at the problem from a "how can we use this to advance gun control", but "how can we address what's actually going on".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            What percent of teachers are "completely and utterly unqualified for that role"? Where do you get this information?
                            Oh good grief. Enough of them. Where you ever in school? How many of your teachers do you think would consent to packing heat as part of their teaching duties?

Why would you even try to challenge that comment? Really - you want hundreds of guns in schools handled by people not professionally trained in their use or motivated to have them? You want the kids that hang teachers out windows and snooker them throwing spitballs to have access to their guns? Why would you even ask that question CP?

Jim
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-15-2019, 11:33 AM.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Good point. Any teacher who poses such a danger shouldn't be in a classroom in the first place.

Comment