Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

NASA heading back to Moon soon, and this time to stay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    "Orbit" usually refers to a repeating trajectory, so "hyperbolic orbit" (though technically permissible) is not a great expression. "Hyperbolic trajectory" would be better.

Pedantically yours...

Carpe
    Are you the Pirate of Pedants?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      NASA heading back to Moon soon, and this time to stay

Washington (AFP) - NASA is accelerating plans to return Americans to the Moon, and this time, the US space agency says it will be there to stay.

Jim Bridenstine, NASA's administrator, told reporters Thursday that the agency plans to speed up plans backed by President Donald Trump to return to the moon, using private companies.

"It's important that we get back to the moon as fast as possible," said Bridenstine in a meeting at NASA's Washington headquarters, adding he hoped to have astronauts back there by 2028.

"This time, when we go to the Moon, we're actually going to stay. We're not going to leave flags and footprints and then come home to not go back for another 50 years" he said.

"We're doing it entirely different than every other country in the world. What we're doing is, we're making it sustainable so you can go back and forth regularly with humans."

The last person to walk on the Moon was Eugene Cernan in December 1972, during the Apollo 17 mission.

Before humans set foot on the lunar surface again, NASA aims to land an unmanned vehicle on the Moon by 2024, and is already inviting bids from the burgeoning private sector to build the probe.

The deadline for bids is March 25, with a first selection due in May, a tight timeline for an agency whose past projects have run years behind schedule and billions over budget.

"For us, if we had any wish, I would like to fly this calendar year. We want to go fast," said Thomas Zurbuchen, the associate administrator of NASA's Science Mission Directorate.

However, he admitted that "we may not be able to."

NASA's accelerated plans flesh out the Space Policy Directive that Trump signed in December 2017, envisaging a return to the Moon before a manned mission to Mars, possibly in the 2030s.

NASA plans to build a small space station, dubbed Gateway, in the Moon's orbit by 2026. It will serve as a way-station for trips to and from the lunar surface, but will not be permanently crewed like the International Space Station (ISS), currently in Earth's orbit.....
      About time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I bet AOC will build a high speed rail to the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I bet AOC will build a high speed rail to the moon.
          Harnessing cow farts using Cattlelitic Converters

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            And they will get the 'Chikins' to pay for it!

Comment

About time.
              I'm trying to find that Hoaxamentory entitled something like "The Moon, and Why We Don't Go Back There", in which there is proof of scary critters and monsters and we just had too many "close calls" to go back there again.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If I could only harness all that gas I vented to atmosphere when I "poked cows".

Comment

If I could only harness all that gas I vented to atmosphere when I "poked cows".
                  You are single-handedly responsible for global warming!

Comment

You are single-handedly responsible for global warming!
                    Was. I haven't poked a cow, nor fed one, in ..... nearly 3 years.

Comment

Was. I haven't poked a cow, nor fed one, in ..... nearly 3 years.
                      AOC got to you didn't she? That's why you have been crooning over her.

Comment

Unfortunately, it's not going to happen. NASA's current plans for Moon activities are all based on the SLS happening (current designs all assume a larger lift capacity than Falcon Heavy provides). And not just the SLS, but a 2nd generation, higher lift capacity version of the SLS. Everything about that rocket has been delayed and over budget, and it's currently estimated that every single launch will take up a measurable fraction of NASA's total budget for that year. Current deficits also mean that NASA's budget is unlikely to go up.

It's a feel good, rally the troops announcement, but reality's going to catch up with it really fast.
                        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                          Unfortunately, it's not going to happen. NASA's current plans for Moon activities are all based on the SLS happening (current designs all assume a larger lift capacity than Falcon Heavy provides). And not just the SLS, but a 2nd generation, higher lift capacity version of the SLS. Everything about that rocket has been delayed and over budget, and it's currently estimated that every single launch will take up a measurable fraction of NASA's total budget for that year. Current deficits also mean that NASA's budget is unlikely to go up.

It's a feel good, rally the troops announcement, but reality's going to catch up with it really fast.
                          Every party has a pooper, that's why we invited you!

(Good to see you, Lurch - thanks for your input)

Comment

Colonize the moon.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post

Why can't they redesgn it to work with the Falcon Heavy?

Comment

Why can't they redesgn it to work with the Falcon Heavy?
                                They potentially could, but there's two issues with that. The first is practical. Sending bigger, heavier stuff up is better when you're building something like this that requires multiple modules. When you go big, you waste less of the weight and size on the structures that form junctions between modules, since there are fewer junctions. The junctions are complex because they have to transfer power, coolant, data, etc., and yet be simple enough to be put together by space-walking astronauts, so more of them are not a trivial addition. While it is possible to redesign, it'd take a lot of doing and may require sacrificing some capabilities or using more modules.

The second is political. The SLS picked up the nickname "Senate's Launch System", because Congress is basically treating NASA as a jobs program. NASA contractors have made sure to distribute the work they're doing across multiple states, so cutting the SLS means that you're costing jobs in the home districts of multiple congresspeople. NASA's kind of bowed to the reality that the SLS is going to be funded no matter how bad an idea it is, and so they keep designing programs that justify having an enormous rocket like that. This moon outpost is just the latest iteration (and 3rd or 4th justification overall, depending on how you want to count). And it's a bipartisan thing, so you can't expect the next president to stroll in and knock some sense into things.
                                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment