Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

GOP Senators, White House Officials Huddle About Paid Family Leave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOP Senators, White House Officials Huddle About Paid Family Leave

Paid Family Leave Next Bipartisan Win for White House?

Several Republicans senators and White House officials met on Capitol Hill on Wednesday morning to develop a pathway forward on a paid family leave plan, a top priority of President Donald Trump and an opportunity for a bipartisan populist victory for both sides in politics.

A Senate GOP aide told Breitbart News that Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA), a Louisiana Republican who is currently drafting legislation to address the issue, hosted Sens. Marco Rubio (R-FL), Joni Ernst (R-IA), Mike Lee (R-UT), and Todd Young (R-IN), as well as Trump’s daughter and senior adviser, Ivanka Trump, to discuss a pathway forward on paid family leave.

“This meeting was scheduled a week ago and will bring together key members of the Senate who are pushing to make progress this year on a proposal that has unified Republican support,” the Senate GOP aide told Breitbart News.

In a joint release with the other meeting attendees, Sen. Cassidy said he is focused on finding a solution that is fiscally responsible.

“There is widespread interest in helping moms and dads have the financial flexibility they need to raise children. The key will be crafting a policy that is fiscally sustainable, targeted, and doesn’t bury taxpayers in even more red ink,” Cassidy said in a statement. “We’re going to work hard in my committee to craft a good, bipartisan solution that empowers families to succeed. This is pro-family, pro-baby, pro-mama.”....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Several Republicans senators and White House officials met on Capitol Hill on Wednesday morning to develop a pathway forward on a paid family leave plan, a top priority of President Donald Trump and an opportunity for a bipartisan populist victory for both sides in politics.

A Senate GOP aide told Breitbart News that Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA), a Louisiana Republican who is currently drafting legislation to address the issue, hosted Sens. Marco Rubio (R-FL), Joni Ernst (R-IA), Mike Lee (R-UT), and Todd Young (R-IN), as well as Trump’s daughter and senior adviser, Ivanka Trump, to discuss a pathway forward on paid family leave.

“This meeting was scheduled a week ago and will bring together key members of the Senate who are pushing to make progress this year on a proposal that has unified Republican support,” the Senate GOP aide told Breitbart News.

In a joint release with the other meeting attendees, Sen. Cassidy said he is focused on finding a solution that is fiscally responsible.

“There is widespread interest in helping moms and dads have the financial flexibility they need to raise children. The key will be crafting a policy that is fiscally sustainable, targeted, and doesn’t bury taxpayers in even more red ink,” Cassidy said in a statement. “We’re going to work hard in my committee to craft a good, bipartisan solution that empowers families to succeed. This is pro-family, pro-baby, pro-mama.”....
    Bipartisan? Look at the list of people invited to discuss...

That being said, Dems will probably support.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Bipartisan? Look at the list of people invited to discuss...

That being said, Dems will probably support.
      Dems supporting would qualify it as bipartisan. Trump is essentially taking a "liberal" idea and bipartisanizing it.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Dems supporting would qualify it as bipartisan. Trump is essentially taking a "liberal" idea and bipartisanizing it.
        And since the congressional Republicans fall in line with pretty much anything Trump says/does, we can expect a lot of "baaaaaaa" followed by supportive votes.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

And since the congressional Republicans fall in line with pretty much anything Trump says/does, we can expect a lot of "baaaaaaa" followed by supportive votes.
          Didn't you just point out, rather smugly, that not all Republicans fall in line with Trump -- particularly in his "national emergency" declaration?

Comment

Didn't you just point out, rather smugly, that not all Republicans fall in line with Trump -- particularly in his "national emergency" declaration?
            So, first, "smugly" is an assumption on your part.

Second, the previous post said "the right," not "Republicans"

Third, note the distinction between "the right" and "Congressional Republicans"
            Last edited by carpedm9587; 02-15-2019, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Note the distinction between "Republicans" and "Congressional Republicans"

Comment

You missed the edit...

Comment

Note the distinction between "Republicans" and "Congressional Republicans"
                  Note that not all Congressional Republicans fall in line with whatever Trump says. As evidence, I point to every single failed Republican attempt to pass legislation when they controlled both legislative chambers.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You missed the edit...
                    I wasn't aiming at it.

Comment

I wasn't aiming at it.
                      I am under no illusion you could have hit it even if you were aiming...

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Note that not all Congressional Republicans fall in line with whatever Trump says. As evidence, I point to every single failed Republican attempt to pass legislation when they controlled both legislative chambers.
                        Yeah - that's a good point. "Congressional Republicans" was too wide a brush. Indeed, it's an example of one of those superlatives I was talking about earlier, implying "all Congressional Republicans." So consider me justly hoisted upon my own petard.

Comment

Will this be some sort of upgrade to FMLA?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Will this be some sort of upgrade to FMLA?
                            No Clue

Comment

Bunch of Commies!
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment