Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Armageddon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charles View Post
    Correct. I would be interested in seeing if you can prove that he went insane because he said it. And even if you can it still would not prove him wrong.
    Prove him wrong about his claim that God is dead and we killed Him? How exactly would one do that? I've always assumed the quote was not intended to be taken literally. Can you prove he meant it literally?

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
      Prove him wrong about his claim that God is dead and we killed Him? How exactly would one do that? I've always assumed the quote was not intended to be taken literally. Can you prove he meant it literally?
      No. I was just trying to get past the "Nietzsche went insane so let's not take him too seriously" line of thinking. The part I quoted was quite obviously not meant to be read in any litteral way. The language used is both beautiful and challenging, however. He is very famous for declaring that "God is dead" but I think his understanding of what it implied is often overlooked.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Nietzche also declared "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" which is absolute B.S. Apparently he's never seen the myriad of broken people who survived this or that trauma, both physical and or mental, and left broken. A shell of what they once were.
        This is like disproving the statement "practice makes perfect" by saying that people almost never achieve perfection through practice, and some can't (even with a lot of practice) get good at things. I doubt he meant it to be taken that literally.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
          No. I was just trying to get past the "Nietzsche went insane so let's not take him too seriously" line of thinking. The part I quoted was quite obviously not meant to be read in any litteral way. The language used is both beautiful and challenging, however. He is very famous for declaring that "God is dead" but I think his understanding of what it implied is often overlooked.
          Oh, I take him seriously. He was honest about where his beliefs led. Others think much of what he said is literally BS, but if one pretends he meant something else, what he said was mind-blowing.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Not even God survives Armageddon.
            Well no God won't survive the extinction of man, seeing as God is a human construct to begin with.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
              This is like disproving the statement "practice makes perfect" by saying that people almost never achieve perfection through practice, and some can't (even with a lot of practice) get good at things. I doubt he meant it to be taken that literally.
              Not the same as practice does lead to improvement but with trauma the result is often enough the very opposite of being made stronger that his statement is nonsense on its very face. Further, it seems to be usually quoted by folks who are taking it quite literally.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Well no God won't survive the extinction of man, seeing as God is a human construct to begin with.
                Boy are you in for a surprise!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  There can be no such "surprise" when you are dead.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    There can be no such "surprise" when you are dead.
                    Keep telling yourself that.

Comment

People who have god/s have themselves to blame. You will get little sympathy here, I suspect.
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I keep meaning to drop this here for you:
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Keep telling yourself that.
                          No need.

Comment