Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Armageddon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armageddon

The abundance of flying insects has plunged by three-quarters over the past 25 years, according to a new study that has shocked scientists.

Insects are an integral part of life on Earth as both pollinators and prey for other wildlife and it was known that some species such as butterflies were declining. But the newly revealed scale of the losses to all insects has prompted warnings that the world is “on course for ecological Armageddon”, with profound impacts on human society.

The new data was gathered in nature reserves across Germany but has implications for all landscapes dominated by agriculture, the researchers said.

The cause of the huge decline is as yet unclear, although the destruction of wild areas and widespread use of pesticides are the most likely factors and climate change may play a role. The scientists were able to rule out weather and changes to landscape in the reserves as causes, but data on pesticide levels has not been collected.

“The fact that the number of flying insects is decreasing at such a high rate in such a large area is an alarming discovery,” said Hans de Kroon, at Radboud University in the Netherlands and who led the new research.

“Insects make up about two-thirds of all life on Earth [but] there has been some kind of horrific decline,” said Prof Dave Goulson of Sussex University, UK, and part of the team behind the new study. “We appear to be making vast tracts of land inhospitable to most forms of life, and are currently on course for ecological Armageddon. If we lose the insects then everything is going to collapse.”
    Extinction will settle all arguements.
    Last edited by firstfloor; 02-16-2019, 12:38 PM.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Much of what we do has unintended consequences. Even birth control pills are starting to have an impact on the environment.

I'm good with God, though, so Armageddon doesn't bother me.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Extinction will settle all arguements.
      Why can't you include your source?

And I think we already had a thread on this.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Bees will be bees.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Much of what we do has unintended consequences. Even birth control pills are starting to have an impact on the environment.

I'm good with God, though, so Armageddon doesn't bother me.
          Not even God survives Armageddon.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

00000000000000ab000-03b.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As Nietzsche said:

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

I dare say a reread of Revelation is in order for you.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                  As Nietzsche said:
                  Yes, Nietzshe said that - and then he went insane.

sigpic

Comment

In that order?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Correct. I would be interested in seeing if you can prove that he went insane because he said it. And even if you can it still would not prove him wrong.
                      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

As Nietzsche said:
                        Nietzche also declared "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" which is absolute B.S. Apparently he's never seen the myriad of broken people who survived this or that trauma, both physical and or mental, and left broken. A shell of what they once were.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Nietzche also declared "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" which is absolute B.S. Apparently he's never seen the myriad of broken people who survived this or that trauma, both physical and or mental, and left broken. A shell of what they once were.
                          Again this is not adressing the text I pointed to and does nothing to prove it right or wrong but is just changing focus. Anyway, I agree that quite a lot of it, if you read it litterally, is B.S. However, if you read it with a more open mind, quite a lot of it is very, very interesting. Whether that was his intetion or not I cannot prove and I don't really care. I am inspired by reading a lot of it though I disagree with him on quite a lot. The good thing about that is that I feel absolutely no need to point to "context", exegesis or providing commentaries that can explain why it does not mean what it says.

Comment

Again this is not adressing the text I pointed to and does nothing to prove it right or wrong but is just changing focus. Anyway, I agree that quite a lot of it, if you read it litterally, is B.S. However, if you read it with a more open mind, quite a lot of it is very, very interesting. Whether that was his intetion or not I cannot prove and I don't really care. I am inspired by reading a lot of it though I disagree with him on quite a lot. The good thing about that is that I feel absolutely no need to point to "context", exegesis or providing commentaries that can explain why it does not mean what it says.
                            I read both Nietzche's Beyond Good and Evil as well as Machiavelli's The Prince a month or two after turning 11 or 12.

Comment

Correct. I would be interested in seeing if you can prove that he went insane because he said it. And even if you can it still would not prove him wrong.
                              As far as I can tell, going insane was a logical consequence of what he believed. Can I prove that? No. On the other hand, just because he said it does not make him right. I dare say no one can prove him right, either.

sigpic

Comment