Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jussie Smollett: MAGA Attack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Saw a video of that taken from someone's camera standing off to the side: Leftist Violence at UC Berkeley

And around the same time Woman charged with assaulting man wearing MAGA hat at Falmouth restaurant
    But, but Nazis deserve to be attacked. It is the only moral thing to do...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Meanwhile, a real hate crime is ignored by the liberal media... UC Berkeley student assaulted because of his political views; a suspect has been identified.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...-conservative/
      Physical violence is only justified in cases of self defense or defense of an innocent, and then only proportionately, IMO.

But I am very curious why the attacker said, "put your hands on me again you ^(&*^%*"

The implication seems to be that there was an exchange of some sort before this video. I'd very much like to see how this incident started. But however it started, the violence shown here does not appear to be "proportional" by any stretch of the imagination.

Meanwhile...as to your statement:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/22/us/co...ley/index.html
      https://www.cbsnews.com/news/conserv...t-uc-berkeley/
      https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...at-uc-berkeley

And that was with just a couple seconds of looking.

ETA - there is a more complete video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xEn9iO_Fcc

It certainly looks like the aggressors were actually two people, and were objecting to this guy's political views. Ironic that they complained he was "inciting violence" and then they themselves engaged in violence. I hope the young man wasn't hurt too badly by that last punch.
      Last edited by carpedm9587; 02-23-2019, 03:46 PM.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

It certainly looks like the aggressors were actually two people, and were objecting to this guy's political views. Ironic that they complained he was "inciting violence" and then they themselves engaged in violence. I hope the young man wasn't hurt too badly by that last punch.
        There have been scores of such attacks in the past few years with the perpetrators often justifying it in that fashion.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There have been scores of such attacks in the past few years with the perpetrators often justifying it in that fashion.
          Justifying it in what fashion?

And I think we probably want to keep an even keel on this. There are fanatics on both sides of this equation, and there has been harm done from both extremes. Extremist left is no better or worse than extremist right as far as I can tell. The problem is not left/right. The problem is extremism and polarization. The problem is when people make those who don't think the same way they do "the enemy."
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Physical violence is only justified in cases of self defense or defense of an innocent, and then only proportionately, IMO.

But I am very curious why the attacker said, "put your hands on me again you ^(&*^%*"

The implication seems to be that there was an exchange of some sort before this video. I'd very much like to see how this incident started. But however it started, the violence shown here does not appear to be "proportional" by any stretch of the imagination.

Meanwhile...as to your statement:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/22/us/co...ley/index.html
            https://www.cbsnews.com/news/conserv...t-uc-berkeley/
            https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...at-uc-berkeley

And that was with just a couple seconds of looking.

ETA - there is a more complete video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xEn9iO_Fcc

Saying that it was "ignored" was somewhat hyperbolic, but the real attack certainly didn't get the extensive coverage that Smollett's hoax did.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Justifying it in what fashion?
              That they provoked the reaction simply by wearing MAGA hats or expressing a conservative P.O.V.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Saw a video of that taken from someone's camera standing off to the side: Leftist Violence at UC Berkeley

And around the same time Woman charged with assaulting man wearing MAGA hat at Falmouth restaurant
                And at the same time a woman assaults a young man with cerebral palsy for being a Trump supporter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Saying that it was "ignored" was somewhat hyperbolic, but the real attack certainly didn't get the extensive coverage that Smollett's hoax did.
                  It doesn't appear to be all that widely covered by the right either.

And you are comparing a story about two unknown students on a college campus with a story about a well-known actor? And you're expecting them to get equal coverage?

That fact is, extremists on both sides are doing violence. The right-leaning media outlets tend to emphasize the attacks on the right, the left-leaning media outlets tend to emphasize the attacks on the left, and the rest simply report what is most likely to get eyeballs (in which a known actor is clearly a bigger fish than an unknown college student). If you want to get into a pissing match over who is doing more harm - you'll find it depends on whose numbers you use. Personally, I have no clue who is doing more harm. I know harm is being done by both sides.

Comment

So I note that ALL of your posts are about attacks on the right by people on the left. I have not seen you post a single thing about attacks on the left by people on the right. Perhaps your bias is showing?

Comment

So I note that ALL of your posts are about attacks on the right by people on the left. I have not seen you post a single thing about attacks on the left by people on the right. Perhaps your bias is showing?
                      Or perhaps the ratio is wildly lopsided.

Comment

It doesn't appear to be all that widely covered by the right either.
                        Becoming a dog bites man story?

And note these are often undeniable in that they have videotape evidence of the attacks or multiple eyewitnesses in stark contrast to a claim that had gigantic holes or problems in it from day one[1].

We could also look at the disparity of coverage when a young mentally disabled white teen was kidnapped for two days in the run-up to Trump’s inauguration and tortured live on Facebook for several hours by black teens screaming "[f-bomb] Trump!" and "[f-bomb] white people!"? It got but a tiny fraction of the coverage of Smollet's faked attack with both ABC’s World News Tonight and NBC Nightly News skipping the story entirely while CBS Evening News allocated a mere 27 seconds to it. It just didn't fit the narrative the MSM wants to push.

• still had the noose around his neck hours later
                        • injuries not consistent with his claims
                        • no video surveillance cameras picking up any attack in spite his of being surrounded by them
                        • assailants standing around waiting to accost him in sub-zero freezing temperatures (IIRC, the coldest temperatures ever recorded in Chicago)
                        • the fact that bleach freezes at 19° Fahrenheit making it pretty hard to splash it on him (see above)
                        • still had his sandwich from Subway after being assaulted and doused with bleach (and why would anyone go out for one at 2AM in that cold for one)
                        • demanding that police turn off their body cams when they responded to the call

There's more but that is what I can remember offhand.

Comment

Or perhaps the ratio is wildly lopsided.
                          I cannot find any data on this that I trust. The right-leaning cites report more violence from the left than the right. The left-leaning sites report more violence from left than the right.

However, no site suggests ALL violence is limited to one side. Your posts are (AFAICT) exclusively about violence done by those on the left to those on the right, with absolutely NO mention (that I can find) about violence perpetrated by those on the right to those on the left. Yet the stories exist.

I repeat - perhaps your bias is showing...?

Comment

Becoming a dog bites man story?

And note these are often undeniable in that they have videotape evidence of the attacks or multiple eyewitnesses in stark contrast to a claim that had gigantic holes or problems in it from day one[1].

We could also look at the disparity of coverage when a young mentally disabled white teen was kidnapped for two days in the run-up to Trump’s inauguration and tortured live on Facebook for several hours by black teens screaming "[f-bomb] Trump!" and "[f-bomb] white people!"? It got but a tiny fraction of the coverage of Smollet's faked attack with both ABC’s World News Tonight and NBC Nightly News skipping the story entirely while CBS Evening News allocated a mere 27 seconds to it. It just didn't fit the narrative the MSM wants to push.

• still had the noose around his neck hours later
                            • injuries not consistent with his claims
                            • no video surveillance cameras picking up any attack in spite his of being surrounded by them
                            • assailants standing around waiting to accost him in sub-zero freezing temperatures (IIRC, the coldest temperatures ever recorded in Chicago)
                            • the fact that bleach freezes at 19° Fahrenheit making it pretty hard to splash it on him (see above)
                            • still had his sandwich from Subway after being assaulted and doused with bleach (and why would anyone go out for one at 2AM in that cold for one)
                            • demanding that police turn off their body cams when they responded to the call

There's more but that is what I can remember offhand.
                            And you continue to make my point...

Meanwhile, I cannot find anything to confirm your response. I am finding enormous coverage of the 2017 incident - largely because of the Facebook component, and enormous coverage of the Smollet incident. I have not looked up the video coverage - so my response is based on what I am finding online.

Out of curiosity, you (and others) tend to talk as if the MSM is some coordinated thing executing on a narrative in some collaborative way. Is that what you actually think?
                            Last edited by carpedm9587; 02-24-2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• Here we go again...

LGBT activist ‘burned down his own home because he was annoyed there was no prejudice to campaign against’

Nikki Joly, 54, is accused of faking the August 2017 fire – which killed his two dogs and three cats – because he’d been left bored after the passage of a nondiscrimination law in Jackson, Michigan, where he lives.

Afterwards, two church officials who worked alongside Joly told police he’d been disappointed the Jackson Pride Parade, held five days before the fire, hadn’t received more attention or protests.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/25/lgbt-...n-8738779/amp/
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Here we go again...
                                America! The country that is so great that you have to fake your own discrimination!

Comment