Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil deGrasse Tyson

Fox investigates Neil deGrasse Tyson over sexual misconduct claims

Astrophysicist and Cosmos host Neil deGrasse Tyson is facing investigations by Fox, National Geographic and show producers in the wake of fresh claims of sexual misconduct. The two networks told Hollywood Reporter in a statement that they were "reviewing" allegations from two women in a Patheos story who accused deGrasse Tyson of groping and making unwanted sexual advances. The Cosmos team, meanwhile, said they would embody the philosophy of the show and "follow the evidence wherever it leads" with its investigation.

One accuser, physics and astronomy professor Katelyn Allers, said deGrasse Tyson groped her at a 2009 American Astronomical Society meeting in what she characterized as "creepy behavior" rather than assault. The other, former assistant Ashley Watson, has claimed that deGrasse Tyson tried to convince her to have sex and made unwelcome remarks. She said she quit her job due to the overtures.

In 2014, Tchiya Amet had accused deGrasse Tyson of drugging and raping her.

There's no guarantee the allegations will lead to any action against deGrasse Tyson. If investigators find that the claims have merit, however, it's safe to say this will have a lasting impact on any victims, the broader astrophysics community and Cosmos' expected return to TV in 2019.

Update 12/2 9:07AM ET: DeGrasse Tyson has offered a lengthy response. He accounted for all the events differently and suggested that he hadn't meant anything sinister in the two most recent incidents, although he acknowledge that he could have made the women uncomfortable. As for the rape accusation, he noted that he also dated Amet only briefly and that her allegation came from an "assumption" of what happened on a night she didn't remember. At the same time, DeGrasse Tyson welcomed an investigation and stressed that people shouldn't simply believe him at face value. "Evidence always matters," he said, and it's just his word versus theirs so far.
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/12/01/...sconduct-clai/

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Fox investigates Neil deGrasse Tyson over sexual misconduct claims

#women must be believed!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

His response sounds like Al "The Groper" Franken's "Yes it happened, but I remember things differently" defense.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        His response sounds like Al "The Groper" Franken's "Yes it happened, but I remember things differently" defense.
        He is welcoming (or at least saying he is) an investigation unlike Franken who pretty much wanted it to be brushed aside and let him move on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I have no idea if he is guilty or not, but I think the guy is way too smug. I can't stand him personally.

But I don't want to see him get accused without any proof either. The world has gone nuts. Bringing up things from decades ago that can't be verified and using that to destroy people's lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I have no idea if he is guilty or not, but I think the guy is way too smug. I can't stand him personally.

But I don't want to see him get accused without any proof either. The world has gone nuts. Bringing up things from decades ago that can't be verified and using that to destroy people's lives.
            Agreed. I don't care for him either but, it needs to be verified/proven before condemning him. There should not be a double standard on our part.
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

... There's so many accusations of sexual misconduct at this point, it's frustrating. The fact that the internet mob mentality gets involved just makes things THAT much worse. As of recently, I have a general stance when it comes to accusations of Sexual Misconduct:

1) If there's reasonable doubt? They should get acquainted with their favorite lawyer and lay a litigious smack-down (ESPECIALLY if there was Wrongful Termination involved).
              2) If we know for certain they did it? Put them on a rack till they've learned their lesson, rinsing and repeating if necessary.
              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                ... There's so many accusations of sexual misconduct at this point, it's frustrating. The fact that the internet mob mentality gets involved just makes things THAT much worse. As of recently, I have a general stance when it comes to accusations of Sexual Misconduct:

1) If there's reasonable doubt? They should get acquainted with their favorite lawyer and lay a litigious smack-down (ESPECIALLY if there was Wrongful Termination involved).
                2) If we know for certain they did it? Put them on a rack till they've learned their lesson, rinsing and repeating if necessary.
                It has gotten to the point natural male behavior can be characterized as assault. Assault is not mistaking affection for desire and initiating a kiss. It is continuing after being told no.

Im glad i am married. I have no idea how a young man is to let a women know he is interested in her these days without risking a midemeaner or felony. I pity a man that finds himself attracted to a coworker. He might find himself without a job if he looks at her wrong, or heaven forbid asks her out more than 1 time.

Jim
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-18-2019, 10:14 PM.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

If the accusations are true, it sounds like Tyson did more than simply express attraction and ask for a date.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    If the accusations are true, it sounds like Tyson did more than simply express attraction and ask for a date.
                    Yes , it does. In many of the public cases it has been way over the top behavior. But there are many that are being dragged through the mud over behavior that while inappropriate was acceptable at the time, and people who in general adapted with the cultural changes over time because fundanentally they did actually respect women and were basically decent people.

Otoh, you have so many out there that continue to be ignored yet whose actions and lifestyle are worse.

And any one who actually says we have to be careful not to overreact is roasted alive.

Jim
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-19-2019, 05:48 AM.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      It has gotten to the point natural male behavior can be characterized as assault. Assault is not mistaking affection for desire and initiating a kiss. It is continuing after being told no.

Im glad i am married. I have no idea how a young man is to let a women know he is interested in her these days without risking a midemeaner or felony. I pity a man that finds himself attracted to a coworker. He might find himself without a job if he looks at her wrong, or heaven forbid asks her out more than 1 time.

Jim
                      My work has rules against dating coworkers. You can't have a working relationship AND a dating relationship with someone.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment