Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Homophobic Trump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the latter instance - only Cow Poke can know beyond all possible doubt whether his story is true in all the details. Anyone else has to evaluate the likelihood that Cow Poke has accurately stated the facts. The only person who can know beyond all possible doubt that any given action is accurately related is the person who performs that action. Only that person know beyond all possible doubt whether or not any deception has been engaged in.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      In the latter instance - only Cow Poke can know beyond all possible doubt whether his story is true in all the details. Anyone else has to evaluate the likelihood that Cow Poke has accurately stated the facts. The only person who can know beyond all possible doubt that any given action is accurately related is the person who performs that action. Only that person know beyond all possible doubt whether or not any deception has been engaged in.
      Tab - as far as I can tell - no one can know anything with 100% certainty. We cannot even verify that out experience of reality via our senses conforms to the real. We all start from an indefensible statement of faith - and with unprovable axioms. We act as if there are absolutely knowable things - because we can't function if we don't. But CP would have no way of knowing if his experience was an incredibly vivid hallucination, or a story he heard from someone else that he repeated so often it became part of his own memory and "happened to him." That has been shown to occur with relative frequency.

That was my basic point. Ultimately - we are all creatures of faith. Hopefully - an informed one.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Tab - as far as I can tell - no one can know anything with 100% certainty. We cannot even verify that out experience of reality via our senses conforms to the real. We all start from an indefensible statement of faith - and with unprovable axioms. We act as if there are absolutely knowable things - because we can't function if we don't. But CP would have no way of knowing if his experience was an incredibly vivid hallucination, or a story he heard from someone else that he repeated so often it became part of his own memory and "happened to him." That has been shown to occur with relative frequency.

That was my basic point. Ultimately - we are all creatures of faith. Hopefully - an informed one.
        But you are 100% certain that your mind exists?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          But you are 100% certain that your mind exists?
          Seer, I cannot even tell you if I exist with certainty. I could be nothing more than a programmed AI construct. Science is even suggesting the possibility that "free will" is an illusion. I can think of nothing that I can declare "I know this with 100% certainty."

Maybe "something exists?" It's hard for me to conceive of THAT not being true...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            Seer, I cannot even tell you if I exist with certainty. I could be nothing more than a programmed AI construct. Science is even suggesting the possibility that "free will" is an illusion. I can think of nothing that I can declare "I know this with 100% certainty."

Maybe "something exists?" It's hard for me to conceive of THAT not being true...
            Sheesh who did I have dinner with? A hologram?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
              Sheesh who did I have dinner with? A hologram?
              You'll never know.

Seriously, Seer - for all practical purposes, we accept a wide variety of things as "true" and act as if we have 100% certainty:

- I exist
              - My senses can be reasonably trusted
              - The laws of reason/mathematics exist
              - I am capable of applying the laws of reason

So I don't wander through every day wondering "gee - I wonder if I actually exist?" I take it as a given because, as I've said multiple times, to NOT accept these things as "true" and "real" is to leave ourselves with no starting place. So we make a leap of faith - accept them as true - and behave as if they are true. If they are not, there is little/nothing we can do about it. Accepting them as true appears to be reasonably "functional," so - there we go.

Comment

• Such a degree of faith I cannot muster.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Such a degree of faith I cannot muster.
                  Which degree...?

Comment

In the latter instance - only Cow Poke can know beyond all possible doubt whether his story is true in all the details. Anyone else has to evaluate the likelihood that Cow Poke has accurately stated the facts. The only person who can know beyond all possible doubt that any given action is accurately related is the person who performs that action. Only that person know beyond all possible doubt whether or not any deception has been engaged in.
                    Wow - just stumbled upon this, and no idea to what this refers.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Wow - just stumbled upon this, and no idea to what this refers.
                      Ah, never mind, it was referring to my "premonition" story!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment