Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Oregon lawmakers seek to lower voting age in state to 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    But! Uniforms!
    Better they be uniformed than ununiformed!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        Well that was pretty much the argument back in the day as to why only educated rich white landowners should vote.

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

After all, women weren't sufficiently educated, so they obviously didn't need the vote. The blacks were... well, the less said the better really... obviously they shouldn't vote. Even among men the general masses were ignorant, so obviously they shouldn't vote. Voting should obviously be restricted to the elites in society who Knew What Was Best For Everyone.

Only, the thing was, it turned out that when voting was restricted to a certain group, quite a number of that group would vote in such a way as to further their own interests at the expense of others, whose interests they didn't necessarily even bother to learn about. Politicians voted for by educated rich white landowners and who knew their base comprised of this group, would, coincidentally, pass policies to benefit that group at the expense of others. This was a major reason that simply giving women the vote was so important for the advancement of women - not so much because women suddenly voted en masse for any particular policies but because politicians knew that they could potentially do so and knew that they themselves couldn't publicly promote for or advocate any anti-women policies or else women would all vote for their political opponent and thus the politician would get voted out of office. So the national policies and politics changed as a result of politicians knowing that women could vote and thus the politicians realizing it was in their personal interest to pay attention in general to the interests of women in general and to stop promoting any anti-women policies or pro-male policies.

So a group doesn't necessarily need to be well-educated or knowledgeable to benefit from the ability to vote, because it is not their votes per se that change the political discourse, it is the fact that politicians know this group could vote against them en masse if sufficiently antagonized and the politicians including that in their political calculations and choosing to have policies that at least on face value appear to represent at least some of the group's interest and are not openly hostile to the group. Voters don't need to be educated or to understand that process for it to happen.
        I'm just glad you can't vote here. But do babble, it's entertaining.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Obviously, states are free to change the voting age. That said, the intelligence and maturity of 16 year olds, at least in my experience, is far from being that of people I'd trust with the ability to vote. If anything, I think the voting age should be increased and returned to 21, but a constitutional amendment would be required for that so that's unlikely to occur.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
              Obviously, states are free to change the voting age. That said, the intelligence and maturity of 16 year olds, at least in my experience, is far from being that of people I'd trust with the ability to vote. If anything, I think the voting age should be increased and returned to 21, but a constitutional amendment would be required for that so that's unlikely to occur.
              Can they vote in Federal Elections too?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                They can only change the voting age for local elections, not anything to do with federal elections.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Can they vote in Federal Elections too?
                  Who is "they"? I'm confused by your question.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  They can only change the voting age for local elections, not anything to do with federal elections.
                  I know that. But the 26th amendment says that you can't prohibit anyone who is 18 years or older from voting in any public election on account of their age. So to increase the voting age above 18 in any public election (local, state, or federal), you'd have to pass a new amendment.

Comment

I can't see any problem with giving 16 year olds the opportunity to vote - maybe even the chance to stand for election wouldn't be amiss.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      I can't see any problem with giving 16 year olds the opportunity to vote - maybe even the chance to stand for election wouldn't be amiss.
                      Clearly, you don't know any 16 year olds (or any normal ones, at any rate).
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Tassy isn't 16.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          Tassy isn't 16.
                          He'd have to pass a citizenship test to vote here regardless. I sometimes wish that applied to natural born citizens.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment