Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Did Ilhan Omar commit immigration fraud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Minnesota, like Wisconsin and Michigan were one of the states that Hillary contemptuously ignored presuming they were hers by right and that snubbing led to the other states voting for Trump and the closeness of the race in Minnesota.
    You can't say Bill didn't try to warn her!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      You can't say Bill didn't try to warn her!
      And he got snubbed in turn for his effort.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And he got snubbed in turn for his effort.
        You know, aside from Bill being a serial rapist, sexual predator and pathological liar, he seemed to be a pretty knowledgeable and likeable guy!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You know, aside from Bill being a serial rapist, sexual predator and pathological liar, he seemed to be a pretty knowledgeable and likeable guy!
          Back in my news days after Bill Clinton's second presidential win, I covered the Inaugural Ball for the Southern States where Bill and Hillary made a brief appearance at around 2AM. After they left the stage, the reporter I was working with turned to me and said, "I can't stand his politics, but he's so darn likeable!"
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I don't believe that is the case at all Starlight. It would depend on how she got her citizenship. Siblings don't automagically get citizenship. Actually, neither do spouses currently. They can't even get green cards automatically any more. Look at QuantaFilla and Rational Gaze. They got married and RG had to wait over a year fighting the whole time to get just a green card. Not sure about back in 2009.
            Friend of my brothers got married and it took 5 years for them to bring his wife over for green card.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              I was initially going by US elections, not state but, the facts are that Minnesota has voted Democratic in every presidential election since 1976. That’s 11 straight. That’s the longest blue streak in the country. Not to mention it's gone Democratic in 14 of the last 15 presidential elections. In 1944, the Democrats merged with the Farm-Labor party forming the DFL. Since then, US Senate DFL nominees have won the election to office 17 times to 8 for Republicans, not total domination, but it's pretty darn dominate. IN the US House races, it's took longer to establish some dominance but, the last time the Republicans won a majority of Minnesota's eight U.S. House seats was the 1968 election (when it was 5 Republicans to 3 DFLers). However, since that election, the most common outcome has been a 5-3 DFL majority win. And, although there have been several 4-4 ties and a couple of 6-2 DFL wins. The 5 Dem to 3 Rep split this year was a bit weird because four of the eight seats changed parties, but since the four changes included two Republican pickups and two DFL pickups, Minnesota ended up with a 5-3 DFL majority in the U.S. House.

When it comes to the Governors race, DFL party has also dominated the Gubernatorial races since 1954 winning 11 of the 16 races...again, consistently dominate in the Dem party.

When it comest to State offices, DFL controlled 21 out of the last 24 of the Minnesota state Senate sessions so, it has been even stronger previously, although (as you note) two of the three Republican-controlled-Senate sessions have been recent, including the past two sessions. So, after a long period of DFL domination of the Legislature, the last decade has been closer to parity. But that’s not nearly so true of the statewide offices, (meaning other than the governorship). Several of the other statewide offices have been truly dominated for decades by the DFL. For instance, before Keith Ellison (DFL) won the office of Minnesota attorney general this last election, the DFL had held that office for 60 of the last 64 years. No, that's not a typo....and, Before Steve Simon (DFL) was re-elected as Minnesota Secretary of state, the DFL had held that office for 36 of the last 44 years.

That looks pretty consistently blue to me...
              A few issues. First, much of this is stuff that happened decades ago and is of little relevance to the present; I mean, you went back to 1954 for your analyses of governors, that's so long ago it doesn't matter (also, I notice that starting at 1954 leaves out the 16 straight years of Republican governors that occurred immediately before that). Only the last decade or two really matters for how a state is in my view. This is exacerbated by the various changes that have occurred within the parties themselves; a state being "blue" 30 years ago is a very different "blue" from the modern day.

One could argue that even if the parties have shifted in positions, they still have the same name, therefore making it "blue." But if we want to get that technical about it, no state was "blue" or "red" prior to the 2000 election, when those colors became firmly associated with the parties. In any event, the usage of "blue" in the original post would only make sense if we were talking about liberal politics (fairly synonymous with Democratic nowadays, but less so in the past).

Within the relevant past, Minnesota has been a liberal state undoubtedly, but has been far from being one of the most liberal states--I don't think it'd even be put in the top 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Back in my news days after Bill Clinton's second presidential win, I covered the Inaugural Ball for the Southern States where Bill and Hillary made a brief appearance at around 2AM. After they left the stage, the reporter I was working with turned to me and said, "I can't stand his politics, but he's so darn likeable!"
                I think I mentioned that, many years ago, wife and I were driving through the Ozarks, and we heard him on the radio being interviewed about a wide range of political issues. I had no idea who he was (then, Gov Clinton) but I told my wife, "now, THERE's a guy who makes a lot of sense!!!!" (That was back in the days before he and Hill became pinko commie leftists, apparently)

Comment

I think I mentioned that, many years ago, wife and I were driving through the Ozarks, and we heard him on the radio being interviewed about a wide range of political issues. I had no idea who he was (then, Gov Clinton) but I told my wife, "now, THERE's a guy who makes a lot of sense!!!!" (That was back in the days before he and Hill became pinko commie leftists, apparently)
                  I don't know that either of them are, deep down. The joke when Bill was President was that his motto was "Do a good turnabout daily." Hillary is entirely a political creature, and will adopt whatever view she thinks will take her farther; it's one of the reasons she didn't get my vote.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    I don't know that either of them are, deep down. The joke when Bill was President was that his motto was "Do a good turnabout daily." Hillary is entirely a political creature, and will adopt whatever view she thinks will take her farther; it's one of the reasons she didn't get my vote.
                    "There go the people. I must follow them, for I am their leader."
                    Alexandre Auguste Ledru-Rollin

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                      A few issues. First, much of this is stuff that happened decades ago and is of little relevance to the present; I mean, you went back to 1954 for your analyses of governors, that's so long ago it doesn't matter (also, I notice that starting at 1954 leaves out the 16 straight years of Republican governors that occurred immediately before that). Only the last decade or two really matters for how a state is in my view. This is exacerbated by the various changes that have occurred within the parties themselves; a state being "blue" 30 years ago is a very different "blue" from the modern day.

One could argue that even if the parties have shifted in positions, they still have the same name, therefore making it "blue." But if we want to get that technical about it, no state was "blue" or "red" prior to the 2000 election, when those colors became firmly associated with the parties. In any event, the usage of "blue" in the original post would only make sense if we were talking about liberal politics (fairly synonymous with Democratic nowadays, but less so in the past).

Within the relevant past, Minnesota has been a liberal state undoubtedly, but has been far from being one of the most liberal states--I don't think it'd even be put in the top 10.
                      You're missing a crucial word in your critique. I said it was one of the most consistent liberal states. Whether it has moved conservative or not, it's still has a consistently liberal majority.
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

And I've heard it said of Chelsea that she has double her mother's spite and none of her father's charm.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                          Friend of my brothers got married and it took 5 years for them to bring his wife over for green card.
                          forgot mention he had become a citizen before they tried.

Comment

I agree that Hillary will say and do whatever it takes but once she had the power I'm sure she'd show her true beliefs (which she'd want made law), which all indications are very far to the left of her husband's.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I agree that Hillary will say and do whatever it takes but once she had the power I'm sure she'd show her true beliefs...
                              If she could ever figure out what they are!

Comment

I agree that Hillary will say and do whatever it takes but once she had the power I'm sure she'd show her true beliefs (which she'd want made law), which all indications are very far to the left of her husband's.
                                Once she had the power, she'd bend to the will of the highest bidder, and would make laws commensurate with that. I don't know that she has any true beliefs; if they're as far left as you think, she's come a long way from being a Goldwater Girl.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment