Announcement

Collapse

Wicca and Neo-Pagan Religions Guidelines

Theists only.

Which witch is which?

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Wicca/Neo Paganism. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generally not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

History Of Wicca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History Of Wicca

A little history about the founder of modern Wicca. The site has a full archive on his works. I'm not a big Wicca follower, but I thought this might be useful to some in the Wicca discussions.

Introduction
    geraldgardner.com is an online resource for information on Gerald Brosseau Gardner (1884-1964) and his influence on modern Wicca.

Since I started my research in 1997 and opened this site in 2001, historians and practitioners have explored Gerald Gardner's life in depth. The most exhaustive research has been preformed by Philip Heselton whose books, Wiccan Roots: Gerald Gardner and the Modern Witchcraft Revival and Gerald Gardner and The Cauldron of Inspiration, are widely available. Also, former publishers of Gardner's two nonfiction books have brought them back into print. I feel that, with the help of researchers and advocates like Philip Heselton, awareness of the historical influence of Britain's earliest Gardnerian covens and their significance to the entirety of Wicca has been increased.

The mission of this site is to provide biographical information and resources on Gerald Gardner and to continue to serve to raise awareness of Wicca's modern history in general and Gardner's historical influence in specific.
    Source: http://www.geraldgardner.com/

is Hermeticism a neo-pagan religion?

Comment

The timeless principles of Hermetics was discovered in the 3rd Century C.E., the Corpus Hermeticum. Principles believed to be known by Egyptians or Sumerians or even older civilizations.

I see Hermetics and Pagansim(or neo) the same as far as basic principles, maybe different methods. Same Edited by a Moderator same toilet, softer toilet paper. https://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/herm/h-intro.htm

Moderated By: ke7ejx

Please watch your language. We don't allow profanity like that here.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
      Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by ke7ejx; 02-20-2019, 09:19 PM. Reason: Profanity

Comment

same trash, hows that lol

Comment

Originally posted by JohnHermes View Post
          same trash, hows that lol
          OK so you think it is all trash? Then why are you a Hermeticist?

Comment

Because I'm a garbage man

Comment

Because I'm a garbage man
              okaaaay...

So are you just a hermeticist for a lark? Like some people claim to be Jedi? Or do you believe in what it teaches?

I never could understand most of the neo-pagan style religions. They seem more like a social club of people who like to role-play than anything else. But I have seen some wiccans who were very serious about their religion and believed in spells and the "goddess" and all that.

Comment

Wrong again padawan

Comment

Wrong again padawan
                  Never mind. Just trying to get to know you and make conversation.

Comment

A little history about the founder of modern Wicca. The site has a full archive on his works. I'm not a big Wicca follower, but I thought this might be useful to some in the Wicca discussions.

Source: http://www.geraldgardner.com/
                    I'm curious if you're sympathetic to Wicca's claims of being an authentic revival movement, given the more traditional orientation of Hermeticism. What's your opinion of eclectic spiritual practice? Is there a general doctrinal point in Hermeticism about eclectic or ad hoc spiritual practice? For example, I've heard that there is some criticism of Chaos Magick from some of the practitioners of older paths.

Thanks,
                    Guac.
                    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

Every sector no matter Wicca Freemasonry Rosicrucian all have people who either are serious or to play make believe. In a handful of sand you'll find some gems. Paganism and Hermeticism are both very old. Which ones comes first, who knows. But the basic foundation of these workings are the same and timeless. The methods could be different. All "gnostic" sects came from Hermeticism, whether a gnostic wants to admit it or not. @sparko @guacamole And I would say all theology including Abrahamic and Non Abrahamic like Buddhism came from Hermetics.
                      Last edited by JohnHermes; 02-21-2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Every sector no matter Wicca Freemasonry Rosicrucian all have people who either are serious or to play make believe. In a handful of sand you'll find some gems. Pagan and Hermeticism are both very old. Which ones comes first, who knows. But the basic foundation of these workings are the same and timeless. The methods could be different. All "gnostic" sects came from Hermeticism, whether a gnostic wants to admit it or not. @sparko @guacamole And I would say all theology including Abrahamic and Non Abrahamic like Buddhism came from Hermetics.
                        You seem pretty dodgy about just answering questions for some reason.

Comment

Ask, I get off topic sometimes, I start to get passionate about other things, my bad

Comment

Ask, I get off topic sometimes, I start to get passionate about other things, my bad
                            I was just trying to find out if you took Hermeticism seriously as your belief system or not. And Guacamole had some other questions.

Comment

It's not so much a belief system, because the system is based on actual science, for the most part Some parts can be debated but some principles can't since even modern science is discovering these ancient truths. Esoteric science to be exact. One hermetic law (out of the 7 Hermetic laws) is the law of vibration. Modern science talks about string theory for example and how everything in the universe is vibrations of strings(string theory) . See going off topic again lol

Comment