Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mueller Report Next Week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Rep. Nadler of California is now suggesting that Mueller's scope was too narrow!

"His job was limited in scope and limited to crimes. What Congress has to do is look at a broader picture."

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019...oader-picture/
    A special prosecutor isn't limited at all. That's the whole problem with them in the first place. Mueller could have investigated (and did) anything and anyone he wanted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      A special prosecutor isn't limited at all. That's the whole problem with them in the first place. Mueller could have investigated (and did) anything and anyone he wanted.
      And Barr was compelled by law to release a statement detailing any instances of interference in the investigation. It was a very short statement.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

so apparently the answer is B!

Video: Conspiracy Theorist Joy Reid Claims Mueller Is Part Of A Cover-Up

Who saw this coming? [Well, Sparko Obviously!]
        You mean MM don't you?
        Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        MSNBC's Joy Reid has advanced the conspiracy theory that AG Barr forced Mueller to prematurely conclude his investigation in order to cover it up.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019...-up-are-here/#

It's just too bad Barr was compelled by special counsel rules to release a statement saying that Mueller was never impeded by the Department of Justice and had free reign to conduct the investigation however he wanted.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...esident-trump/

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

Meanwhile, I am not impressed with Mr. Trump's selection of leadership. When that many people you put in positions of power and decision making are shown to be liars and law breakers, it raises, for me, significant questions about the caliber of people Mr. Trump is willing to engage with and surround himself with. So much for "drain the swamp."
          Considering the level and scope of the scrutinization I'm actually somewhat surprised at how few indictments there were. Compare it, for example to Bill Clinton.

Here is a list of 40 Clinton associates who were convicted of various crimesconvicted of 18 felonies and died in prison. Before his death he turned on Clinton who he previously staunchly defended[1]

Susan McDougal served 18 months for refusing to answer questions for a grand jury, on whether President Bill Clinton lied in his testimony during her Whitewater trial and immediately afterwards began a two year sentence for four counts of fraud and conspiracy relating to the Whitewater scandal but was later pardoned by Bill Clinton (a reward for keeping her mouth shut?).

Jim Guy Tucker was convicted of one count of conspiracy and one count of mail fraud and forced to resign as Governor. He was given a lenient sentence of four years' probation and house detention because of his poor health (a month after his conviction he received a liver transplant).

And then there was Hillary's law partner Webster Hubbell, who Bill appointed Associate Attorney General, who pled guilty to one count of wire fraud and one count of tax fraud and sentenced to 21 months. Later he entered a plea bargain agreement where he pled guilty to one charge of failing to disclose a potential conflict of interest in exchange for having all charges dropped against his his wife, his lawyer, his accountant and got probation.

What makes Hubbell especially interesting is what he said while in prison during a phone call to his wife (all calls from prisoners are recorded)

Source: Jail Tapes Portray Hubbell As Clinton Loyalist

Talking to his wife in 1996 while in a federal prison serving out his sentence for embezzling from his former clients and partners at Little Rock's Rose Law Firm, Hubbell repeatedly expressed concern for one of those former partners: Hillary Rodham Clinton.

"I will not raise those allegations that might open it up to Hillary," Hubbell told his wife Suzanna in one phone call, responding to a White House friend's fear that his dispute with the law firm could create problems for the first lady. "So I need to roll over one more time."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

"So I need to roll over one more time."

And of course there were also those associated with all of the money funneled from China to the Clinton-Gore campaign through Buddhist monasteries and other means -- the one where FBI agents came forward at the time (unheard of back then) to publicly complain that Clinton's DoJ interfered with the investigation and folks like "Charlie" Trie, John Huang, James Riady, and Maria Hsia were convicted of various crimes.

This isn't to excuse having a number of associates with shady behavior but rather to note that it isn't anything new, especially if the president is being heavily investigated.

Source: James McDougal's Last Word Is A Tell-All Book

McDougal alleged that in the 1980s, he and a longtime businessman at McDougal's S&L, Henry Hamilton, "developed a system to pass money to Clinton," then governor of Arkansas. "I considered it just another way of helping to take care of Bill.

"A contractor agreed to pad my monthly construction bill by $2,000," McDougal wrote. "The contractor put the figure on his invoice as a cost for gravel or culvert work. After I paid the full amount ... the contractor reimbursed me the $2,000. I turned the money over to Henry to give to Clinton."

Hamilton is dead.

"Once, after I handed Henry his latest consignment of 20 hundred-dollar bills to relay to the governor's office, he turned the bills over and over in one hand, like a magician," McDougal said. "Henry grinned. `You know,' he said, `Caesar had his Brutus, Charles the First had Cromwell. Clinton could profit from these examples if he crosses us.'"

Source

Last edited by rogue06; 03-24-2019, 01:31 PM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            But you seemed to forget that even if arrested they can still refuse to answer any questions whether they have a lawyer or not.
            Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            I believe I actually said that very thing several times.
            Umm... Actually,
            Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            I am fairly sure that law enforcement can question anyone to gather information, and if they have cause to be suspicious, as part of an investigation. That is why we call it an "investigation." Questioning is part of the process.

You may have convinced yourself that's what you said or maybe meant but the record strongly suggests otherwise.

Comment

You mean MM don't you?
              Before he posted that I posted:
              Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              So does this mean Trump is innocent, or does it mean Mueller was
              A. Incompetent?
              B. Colluding with Trump all along?

Comment

Of course that's what you were referring to.
                Yes - it was.

But if you think otherwise, feel free to point to where I said something different.

Speculation is a common theme with you, MM - and you fairly regularly present it as fact.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Awwwwwww, your widdle feewins got huut?
                  No - not in the least. Do you really find this a mature way to communicate, CP?

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  There ya go again doing that mindreading thing you pretend to hate so much.
                  Actually - no - hence the word "apparently" - reflecting what it appears from the outside, not what it is on the inside. There is nothing wrong with saying to someone, "this is how this is coming across - am I reading that correctly" and I have never actually complained about that. What I tend to find useless is when the feedback is rejected and the accuser hangs on to their initial perception despite all responses/clarifications. If you tell me "I don't find what you are posting upsetting," I'll take you at your word. You know - and I don't. I can only reflect what it "looks" like. Meanwhile, if history repeats itself, when I tell you...

Seriously, Carpe - sometimes I think you just argue for the sake of arguing.

Along with the catty "That is why we call it an "investigation." Questioning is part of the process."

...that I was not trying to argue for the sake of arguing (though I enjoy a good debate), and the second comment was not intended to be "catty" in the least (didn't even cross my mind) - it was simply a sentence intended to bring the concept of "investigation" into the mix, as an alternative to "arrest," my feedback will be ignored and I will be told I was doing both. That is usually what happens.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Sure
                  Actually - THAT comment (on my part - about the spine) was catty. Had you called me on it - I would have plead guilty. I apologize.

Carry on![/QUOTE]

Indeed...
                  Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-24-2019, 05:14 PM.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Before he posted that I posted:
                    With the greatest reluctance I'll grant you that. Now after that I am experiencing an overwhelming sense of feeling dirty and shall go take a shower with some lye and a wire scrub brush.

Comment

• No collusion. No obstruction. Give it up, carpe, it's over.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                        No - not in the least. Do you really find this a mature way to communicate, CP?
                        No, so please stop!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No collusion. No obstruction. Give it up, carpe, it's over.
                          B-b-but, TRUMP!! smiley fist shake.gif

Something tells me that liquor sales likely tripled in blue areas this weekend.

Comment

B-b-but, TRUMP!! [ATTACH=CONFIG]35854[/ATTACH]

Something tells me that liquor sales likely tripled in blue areas this weekend.
                            Good thing they're mostly anti-gun!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Considering the level and scope of the scrutinization I'm actually somewhat surprised at how few indictments there were. Compare it, for example to Bill Clinton.

Here is a list of 40 Clinton associates who were convicted of various crimesconvicted of 18 felonies and died in prison. Before his death he turned on Clinton who he previously staunchly defended[1]

Susan McDougal served 18 months for refusing to answer questions for a grand jury, on whether President Bill Clinton lied in his testimony during her Whitewater trial and immediately afterwards began a two year sentence for four counts of fraud and conspiracy relating to the Whitewater scandal but was later pardoned by Bill Clinton (a reward for keeping her mouth shut?).

Jim Guy Tucker was convicted of one count of conspiracy and one count of mail fraud and forced to resign as Governor. He was given a lenient sentence of four years' probation and house detention because of his poor health (a month after his conviction he received a liver transplant).

And then there was Hillary's law partner Webster Hubbell, who Bill appointed Associate Attorney General, who pled guilty to one count of wire fraud and one count of tax fraud and sentenced to 21 months. Later he entered a plea bargain agreement where he pled guilty to one charge of failing to disclose a potential conflict of interest in exchange for having all charges dropped against his his wife, his lawyer, his accountant and got probation.

What makes Hubbell especially interesting is what he said while in prison during a phone call to his wife (all calls from prisoners are recorded)

Source: Jail Tapes Portray Hubbell As Clinton Loyalist

Talking to his wife in 1996 while in a federal prison serving out his sentence for embezzling from his former clients and partners at Little Rock's Rose Law Firm, Hubbell repeatedly expressed concern for one of those former partners: Hillary Rodham Clinton.

"I will not raise those allegations that might open it up to Hillary," Hubbell told his wife Suzanna in one phone call, responding to a White House friend's fear that his dispute with the law firm could create problems for the first lady. "So I need to roll over one more time."

Source

"So I need to roll over one more time."

And of course there were also those associated with all of the money funneled from China to the Clinton-Gore campaign through Buddhist monasteries and other means -- the one where FBI agents came forward at the time (unheard of back then) to publicly complain that Clinton's DoJ interfered with the investigation and folks like "Charlie" Trie, John Huang, James Riady, and Maria Hsia were convicted of various crimes.

This isn't to excuse having a number of associates with shady behavior but rather to note that it isn't anything new, especially if the president is being heavily investigated.

Source: James McDougal's Last Word Is A Tell-All Book

McDougal alleged that in the 1980s, he and a longtime businessman at McDougal's S&L, Henry Hamilton, "developed a system to pass money to Clinton," then governor of Arkansas. "I considered it just another way of helping to take care of Bill.

"A contractor agreed to pad my monthly construction bill by $2,000," McDougal wrote. "The contractor put the figure on his invoice as a cost for gravel or culvert work. After I paid the full amount ... the contractor reimbursed me the $2,000. I turned the money over to Henry to give to Clinton."

Hamilton is dead.

"Once, after I handed Henry his latest consignment of 20 hundred-dollar bills to relay to the governor's office, he turned the bills over and over in one hand, like a magician," McDougal said. "Henry grinned. `You know,' he said, `Caesar had his Brutus, Charles the First had Cromwell. Clinton could profit from these examples if he crosses us.'"

Source

So you respond to the fact that Trump has surrounded himself with criminals by pointing to another president who did so? And this makes it right or a good thing?

For the record, I find Trump and found/find Clinton to be poor moral leaders and sad examples of presidents. I agreed with more of Clinton's political initiatives than Trumps, but disagreed with several. I don't find "but he was worse" a very compelling argument.

Comment

No collusion. No obstruction. Give it up, carpe, it's over.
                                What exactly is it you think I need to give up?

Comment