Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Canuckistan's Trudeau in reelection trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canuckistan's Trudeau in reelection trouble?

This might brighten mossy's day

Source: Justin Trudeau CRISIS: Canada PM’s popularity PLUNGES after scandal, Conservatives AHEAD

CANADA’S Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is facing a difficult election campaign after a new poll saw the scandal-hit leader’s approval ratings plummet.

Canadians are due to go to the polls in October but Mr Trudeau is battling to maintain his popularity after becoming embroiled in claims his aides pressured former justice minister Jody Wilson-Raybould to ensure construction firm SNC-Lavalin avoided a corruption investigation. The 47-year-old insists there was no wrongdoing but 41 percent of Canadians disagreed with Mr Trudeau in a Leger poll for news agency The Canadian Press. Just 12 percent believed he hadn’t done anything wrong following the allegations which has left his Liberal Party in turmoil.

The poll read even worse for Mr Trudeau on a question regarding which party respondents would vote for in the autumn election.

Leger found 36 percent of people said they would vote for the opposition Conservative party while 34 percent would support Mr Trudeau’s Liberals.

It marks the first time since the 2015 general election the Conservatives have been ahead of the Liberals who were once way out in front in the polls.

The results have left Mr Trudeau’s inner team fearing he could be ousted outright or forced into a coalition government in eight months time.

Also worrying for Mr Trudeau was the response to a question on which party’s leader would make the best Prime Minister.

Despite receiving the most support, just 26 percent of respondents answered for Mr Trudeau - a seven point nosedive from a similar Leger poll conducted in November last year.

Opposition Conservative leader Andrew Scheer received 21 percent while Green leader Elizabeth May scored eight percent and the New Democratic Party’s Jagmeet Singh gained six percent.

Leger’s executive vice president Christian Bourque said the results proved Canadians were increasingly suspicious of their prime minister.

Mr Leger told Canadian media: “I think a lot of it leads back to how the prime minister himself has handled the crisis over the last week or so.

“He’s not found a way to reassure Canadians or … been clear enough about his involvement, what he said or did not say, so that a lot of Canadians right now are holding it up against him because they don’t know all the ins and outs to make up their own mind.”

However Mr Bourque added the polls do not necessarily mean Mr Scheer is destined for victory.

He said: “There’s nobody right now that’s capturing the minds and hearts of Canadians and probably explains why voting intentions are so close while we see that the Prime Minister is actually showing signs of weakening in terms of support.”

Mr Trudeau has been hit by a series of resignations from his administration and met with members of his Liberal Party yesterday to calm anger about how he is handling the SNC-Lavalin affair.

He has dismissed calls for a full public inquiry into claims relating to the Montreal engineering firm’s government contracts in Libya, saying the ethic commissioner has launched a probe into suggestions staff in the Prime Minister’s Office pressured Ms Wilson Raybould when she was justice minister.

Wilson-Raybould, who was demoted in a cabinet reshuffle last month, resigned as veterans affairs minister on February 12.

She has been invited to speak to the Canadian House of Commons’s justice committee and is currently consulting lawyers as to how much she can reveal on SNC-Lavalin.

Meanwhile Mr Trudeau’s principal private secretary and close ally Gerald Butts quit on Monday insisting he had not pressured the former Attorney General.

Mr Trudeau’s position is not in immediate danger after Wednesday’s three hour clear-the-air meeting with members of his party with one source saying no leadership challenges are being plotted.

Mr Trudeau can not be replaced by parliamentary vote of no-confidence in the same way Theresa May fought off a Labour initiated challenge in January as Canadian party leaders are confirmed at formal conventions.

Canadian international development minister Marie-Claude Bibeau said she was “very satisfied with the overall meeting we had” while another source said the tone was polite and “there were no naked raw emotions on the table” even when Mr Trudeau and Ms Wilson-Raybould exchanged comments.

However another source said Mr Trudeau ignored questions about exactly why Mr Butts quit and did not outline what his next steps are to see off the SNC-Lavalin scandal.

A further source said: “We need to put this to bed. It's exhausting to be on the defensive and the longer this goes on the harder it will be to get our message out.”

Leger polled 1,529 random Canadian voters online from February 15 to February 19.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

He of the wandering eyebrow seemed to skate past being convicted of ethics violations during a vacation to the Bahamas in 2016 and accusations of having groped a woman at a concert might be feeling the heat over this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

He has been pretty much a joke for the last several years.

I think he really lost the people when he paid off that terrorist.

Comment

Yup. I've been following this. They seem to be imploding from inside Cabinet. Hoping so! Election this fall!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Gerald Butts resigning has been a real head-scratcher. The reason he gives makes no sense at all.

Butts denies the allegations that he or anyone in the PMO pressured Jody Wilson-Raybould -- who was the attorney general at the time -- to have federal prosecutors pursue a remediation agreement rather than criminal prosecution in the corruption and fraud case against the Quebec engineering and construction giant.

Butts said the allegation is distracting from the work Trudeau and his government are doing nine months out from the next federal election, and so it’s in the best interest of the office of the prime minister that he step aside.
        https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trud...igns-1.4301856

I don't see how him resigning would do anything to not distract people from Trudeau's idiocy. It just put more focus on the whole scandelous situation, imo.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          He has been pretty much a joke for the last several years.

I think he really lost the people when he paid off that terrorist.
          A buffoon way out of his depth

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            A buffoon way out of his depth

A substitute drama teacher.

I have it on good authority that when he was a mere MP, he would sit beside a certain woman and spend question period showing her selfies on his phone. Then he'd ask her how he should vote on the topic at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              A substitute drama teacher.

I have it on good authority that when he was a mere MP, he would sit beside a certain woman and spend question period showing her selfies on his phone. Then he'd ask her how he should vote on the topic at hand.

I know (well now "knew") someone who was a Senate staffer and talked about how John Kerry was like the really slow kid in class who constantly needed the simplest of concepts explained to him over and over.

Comment

Wow.
                TORONTO (AP) - Canada's former attorney general testified Wednesday she experienced a consistent and sustained effort by many people in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government to inappropriately interfere in the prosecution of a major Canadian engineering company and said the effort included "veiled threats."

Ex-justice minister and ex-attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould said 11 people tried to interfere in her prosecutorial discretion. In a meeting with Trudeau, the prime minister raised the issue and asked her to "help out" with the case, she said.

Wilson-Raybould said she asked Trudeau if he was politically interfering with her role as attorney general and told him she would strongly advise against it.

"For a period of approximately four months, between September and December of 2018, I experienced a consistent and sustained effort by many people within the government to seek to politically interfere in the exercise of prosecutorial discretion in my role as the attorney general of Canada," she told a Parliament justice committee.
                https://www.kiro7.com/news/canada-ex...mestream_click

Asked if she has confidence in Prime Minister Trudeau, Wilson-Raybould takes a long pause and says she resigned from cabinet because “I did not have confidence to sit around the table, the cabinet table.”

Wilson-Raybould listed the people she had warned about “the inappropriate nature of these conversations,” including Trudeau, Finance Minister Bill Morneau, Clerk of the Privy Council Michael Wernick and Gerald Butts, among others.

Raitt asks Wilson-Raybould if she felt that PMO staffers were threatening her job in relation to the SNC-Lavalin decision. “I’m confident the purpose of those discussions … was to put extraordinary pressure on me to change my mind,” Wilson-Raybuld says. She says she, “can’t reflect on their intent,” and whether they were threatening her position in cabinet.
                https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...testimony-live

Comment

Source: Justin Trudeau on BRINK: Rival vows to ‘RAMP UP PRESSURE’ to OUST Canada PM

AS JUSTIN Trudeau battles a scandal which threatens to bring down his government, opposition leader Jagmeet Singh haas promised to “ramp up the pressure” on the embattled Canadian prime minister.

Mr Singh, leader of the New Democratic Party, said he “danced the night away” after winning a seat in Canada’s House of Commons in a by-election yesterday allowing him to finally go toe-to-toe with Mr Trudeau. Canada’s Prime Minister is facing intense pressure to reveal exactly what he knows about whether officials from his office inappropriately pressured a former cabinet minister to interfere with a prosecution on construction giant SNC-Lavalin. Jody Wilson-Raybould, Canada’s former justice secretary and attorney general, has said she hopes to “tell her truth” when she appears before the Commons’ justice committee later today amid accusations ‘a line was clearly crossed’.

Ms Wilson-Raybould quit the Cabinet last month and is consulting lawyers as to what she can say on the scandal.

Last week, Canada’s top civil servant Michael Wernick denied any wrongdoing when he testified to the justice committee but admitted Ms Wilson-Raybould would likely “express concern” about a series of meetings on SNC-Lavalin when she speaks.

Mr Singh, head of Canada’s third biggest party, said his by-election victory “allows me to ramp up the pressure on Mr Trudeau and on the Liberal government”.

He added: “It allows me to really put into focus the question, ‘Is this Liberal government more interest in helping their well-connected, powerful friends like SNC-Lavalin?’”.

The 40-year-old has made waves in Canadian politics as the first person of a minority ethnic group to become leader of a major party.

Mr Singh was chosen to replace Tom Mulcair in October last year as the former NDP leader lost a leadership review.

He finally won a Commons seat by seizing Vancouver constituency Burnaby South with 39 percent of the vote this week.

The win means he can now face Mr Trudeau in parliament directly, joining opposition Conservative calls for a public inquiry into the SNC-Lavalin affair.

Mr Trudeau has dismissed a full-scale investigation, saying the Ethics Commissioner’s examination into events is enough to answer Canadians’ questions.

Mr Singh will take up his Commons seat on March 18 and has promised to seize the limited opportunity to speak before Canada’s parliament rises in June ahead of elections in October.

Mr Mulcair’s former principal secretary, Karl Belanger, said Mr Singh “has an opportunity to be seen and heard on the same stage as the other main party leaders”.

He added there is no time to waste for Mr Singh to put pressure on Mr Trudeau with the autumn elections just around the political corner.

Mr Mulcair added: “It will be up to him to perform and do well and connect with Canadians with a narrative that speaks to their priorities.”

Source

Don't really know anything about Singh except that if he leads the New Democratic Party (NDP) he is almost certainly liberal. This means that it looks like all sides are gunning for Trudeau. They must smell blood in the water.

Comment

Source: Political Scandal Worsens for Canada’s Justin Trudeau

Former justice minister says prime minister’s top aides repeatedly pressed her to drop the prosecution of SNC-Lavalin

A political firestorm surrounding Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau became more damaging Wednesday, as his ex-justice minister accused his top aides of repeatedly pressuring her to drop the prosecution of a global engineering and construction firm.

The testimony delivered by Jody Wilson-Raybould to a parliamentary committee offered the most detailed version yet of events fueling a scandal that risks upending Mr. Trudeau’s re-election effort later this year. She said that between September and December, she and her staff had roughly 10 phone calls and 10 meetings about the matter involving SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. with Mr. Trudeau’s senior aides and other government officials, including staff from the finance minister’s office.

“I experienced a consistent and sustained effort by many people within the government to seek to politically interfere in the exercise of prosecutorial discretion,” Ms. Wilson-Raybould said.

The former justice minister recounted how senior government officials, mostly from Mr. Trudeau’s office, attempted to persuade her to order prosecutors to cut a plea deal with SNC-Lavalin, which is based in the politically important province of Quebec. A plea deal would have allowed SNC-Lavalin to avoid a decadelong ban on bidding on government contracts in Canada and elsewhere. These make up a significant portion of the company’s revenue.

“There were expressed statements regarding the necessity of interference in the SNC-Lavalin matter, and the potential for consequences and veiled threats if an [out-of-court settlement] was not made available to SNC-Lavalin,” she said.

Ms. Wilson-Raybould said Mr. Trudeau encouraged her in a Sept. 17 meeting to “find a solution here for SNC-Lavalin, saying that if there was no [plea deal] there would be many jobs lost and SNC-Lavalin would move [its headquarters] from Montreal.” She said she told Mr. Trudeau that she had done her due diligence on SNC-Lavalin and she wasn’t going to interfere in a decision by prosecutors to not pursue a plea deal with the company.

Mr. Trudeau and other senior officials have denied any wrongdoing in their interactions with the former justice minister. At a Wednesday night press conference in Montreal, the Canadian leader said he “completely disagree[s] with the former attorney general’s characterization of events” and defended the work of his top aides.

He added that there were discussions about potential job losses in the event SNC-Lavalin was convicted. But, he said, the final decision on the company’s prosecution “was Ms. Wilson-Raybould’s and hers alone.”

Canada’s ethics watchdog launched a probe into the SNC-Lavalin matter after the Globe and Mail newspaper reported the allegations. In response to a lawmaker’s question, Ms. Wilson-Raybould said that she didn’t believe the lobbying effort violated any laws. But throughout the three-hour-plus hearing, she described the effort as inappropriate.

Canadian prosecutors filed bribery and fraud charges against SNC-Lavalin in 2015, related to activity in Libya during 10 years ended in 2011. The company has also faced bribery charges at home. Its former chief executive pleaded guilty this month to charges related to a bribery scandal involving the construction of a Montreal hospital.

SNC-Lavalin Chief Executive Neil Bruce said last week that an out-of-court settlement would be in the public interest because it would ensure employees, pensioners and suppliers wouldn’t be harmed. The company operates in over 50 countries and employs 50,000 workers world-wide.

In January, Ms. Wilson-Raybould was told she was being moved from the high-profile justice portfolio to the veterans ministry. She told committee members she believes the move was triggered by her refusal to direct prosecutors to drop the criminal prosecution of SNC-Lavalin.

She stepped down from the cabinet this month, days after the allegations of judicial interference emerged. In her testimony, she said she resigned because “I did not have confidence to sit around the cabinet table.”

Ms. Wilson-Raybould’s testimony represents a pivotal moment for Mr. Trudeau, whose reputation has taken a beating from the SNC-Lavalin affair. His political brand of a modern, transparent leader who was willing to give his cabinet greater leeway in crafting policy helped lift him to power in the fall of 2015.

“This story is potentially toxic for the prime minister’s image,” said Daniel Beland, a political analyst and director of McGill University’s Institute for the Study of Canada in Montreal. Exacerbating matters, Mr. Beland said, was the inability of Mr. Trudeau and his aides to handle the crisis with consistent descriptions of what unfolded.

Ms. Wilson-Raybould said she was told in mid-December by a top adviser to Mr. Trudeau, Michael Wernick, that the prime minister was “going to find a way to get it done one way or the other, so he is in that kind of mood and I wanted you to be aware of it.”

Last week, Mr. Wernick delivered testimony in which he said that at no time did Ms. Wilson-Raybould face inappropriate pressure to strike an out-of-court deal with SNC-Lavalin. He acknowledged, though, that he spoke to Ms. Wilson-Raybould about the implications of prosecuting SNC-Lavalin. “I conveyed to her that a lot of her colleagues and the prime minister were quite anxious about what they were hearing and reading in the business press about the future of the company,” he said.

Polling since the uproar emerged in early February indicates Mr. Trudeau and the Liberal government are bleeding support, less than eight months before the next national election. Surveys from Ipsos Public Affairs and the Angus Reid Institute indicate the opposition Conservatives hold a lead over the governing Liberals in terms of the popular vote.

The fate of SNC-Lavalin is an important issue in Quebec, Canada’s second-largest province and a pivotal electoral battleground. The province’s large pension fund, Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec, is SNC-Lavalin’s biggest shareholder, with a 20% stake. The company employs 9,000 across Canada, including 3,400 in Quebec.

Source

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Source: Justin Trudeau on BRINK: Rival vows to ‘RAMP UP PRESSURE’ to OUST Canada PM

AS JUSTIN Trudeau battles a scandal which threatens to bring down his government, opposition leader Jagmeet Singh haas promised to “ramp up the pressure” on the embattled Canadian prime minister.

Mr Singh, leader of the New Democratic Party, said he “danced the night away” after winning a seat in Canada’s House of Commons in a by-election yesterday allowing him to finally go toe-to-toe with Mr Trudeau. Canada’s Prime Minister is facing intense pressure to reveal exactly what he knows about whether officials from his office inappropriately pressured a former cabinet minister to interfere with a prosecution on construction giant SNC-Lavalin. Jody Wilson-Raybould, Canada’s former justice secretary and attorney general, has said she hopes to “tell her truth” when she appears before the Commons’ justice committee later today amid accusations ‘a line was clearly crossed’.

Ms Wilson-Raybould quit the Cabinet last month and is consulting lawyers as to what she can say on the scandal.

Last week, Canada’s top civil servant Michael Wernick denied any wrongdoing when he testified to the justice committee but admitted Ms Wilson-Raybould would likely “express concern” about a series of meetings on SNC-Lavalin when she speaks.

Mr Singh, head of Canada’s third biggest party, said his by-election victory “allows me to ramp up the pressure on Mr Trudeau and on the Liberal government”.

He added: “It allows me to really put into focus the question, ‘Is this Liberal government more interest in helping their well-connected, powerful friends like SNC-Lavalin?’”.

The 40-year-old has made waves in Canadian politics as the first person of a minority ethnic group to become leader of a major party.

Mr Singh was chosen to replace Tom Mulcair in October last year as the former NDP leader lost a leadership review.

He finally won a Commons seat by seizing Vancouver constituency Burnaby South with 39 percent of the vote this week.

The win means he can now face Mr Trudeau in parliament directly, joining opposition Conservative calls for a public inquiry into the SNC-Lavalin affair.

Mr Trudeau has dismissed a full-scale investigation, saying the Ethics Commissioner’s examination into events is enough to answer Canadians’ questions.

Mr Singh will take up his Commons seat on March 18 and has promised to seize the limited opportunity to speak before Canada’s parliament rises in June ahead of elections in October.

Mr Mulcair’s former principal secretary, Karl Belanger, said Mr Singh “has an opportunity to be seen and heard on the same stage as the other main party leaders”.

He added there is no time to waste for Mr Singh to put pressure on Mr Trudeau with the autumn elections just around the political corner.

Mr Mulcair added: “It will be up to him to perform and do well and connect with Canadians with a narrative that speaks to their priorities.”

Source

Don't really know anything about Singh except that if he leads the New Democratic Party (NDP) he is almost certainly liberal. This means that it looks like all sides are gunning for Trudeau. They must smell blood in the water.

I don't think the NDP's will win federally. They crap up every province in which they win leadership (the latest being mine), but they will work alongside the official opposition to get the current leader out. If the Conservatives win this fall, Singh will be joining forces with the likely opposition Liberals to cause trouble for them. That is part of their MO.

Comment

They're dropping like flies.

OTTAWA – Treasury Board President Jane Philpott has resigned from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's federal cabinet, saying that she has lost confidence in the way the government is handling the ongoing SNC-Lavalin scandal.
                        In a statement posted to her MP website, Philpott said that the recent events, including the SNC-Lavalin scandal, "have shaken the federal government in recent weeks and after serious reflection, I have concluded that I must resign as a member of cabinet."
                        Trudeau has been facing calls to resign after former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould testified at the House Justice Committee last week that she faced high-level "veiled threats" and "sustained" political interference in the criminal prosecution of the Quebec construction and engineering company.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/jane...ctor-1.4321813

Comment

Source: Ex-Canadian minister says more revelations to come in scandal surrounding Trudeau

A Canadian cabinet minister, who had quit in protest over the government’s handling of a corruption scandal, said she and others had more to say about the matter, indicating more pain to come for embattled Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Trudeau has been on the defensive since Feb. 7 over allegations that top officials working for him leaned on former Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould last year to ensure that construction company SNC-Lavalin Group Inc avoided a corruption trial.

“There’s much more to the story that should be told,” former Treasury Board President Jane Philpott told Macleans’ magazine in an interview released on Thursday.

“I believe we actually owe it to Canadians as politicians to ensure that they have the truth,” she said. Philpott added that she and Wilson-Raybould had more to say but did not elaborate. Philpott, a close political ally of Wilson-Raybould, quit on March 4.

Trudeau, who has denied any political interference to protect SNC-Lavalin from a bribery trial, indicated he felt Canadians had already heard enough.

Wilson-Raybould had the chance to “share completely” her thoughts during almost four hours of testimony to the House of Commons justice committee last month, he told reporters in Mississauga, Ontario when asked about Philpott’s remarks.

The crisis may threaten Trudeau’s reelection chances in the upcoming October vote. Polls show the center-left Liberals, who as recently as January looked certain to win, could lose to the official opposition Conservatives.

As well as the two ministers, the affair has claimed Trudeau’s closest political aide and the head of the federal bureaucracy. A Liberal legislator who backed Wilson-Raybould quit on Wednesday to sit as an independent.

Trudeau suffered further potential embarrassment on Thursday when SNC-Lavalin Chief Executive Neil Bruce denied he had told government officials that 9,000 jobs could be at risk if the firm was found guilty of offering bribes to Libyan officials.

Trudeau has often referred to the 9,000 potential job losses as a reason for helping the company, which wanted to take advantage of new legislation to pay a large fine rather than be prosecuted.

“Until we are able to put this behind us, it’s pretty difficult to grow our Canadian workforce,” Bruce told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

Asked whether he had specified the number of jobs that could be at risk, he replied: “No, we never gave a number.”

A court conviction would bar SNC-Lavalin from bidding on federal government contracts for 10 years.

Bruce said if the company’s share price continued to suffer, it might become a takeover target.

SNC-Lavalin’s headquarters are in the populous province of Quebec, where the Liberals say they need to pick up more seats in the October election to retain a majority government.

Trudeau has dismissed calls for a public inquiry, noting the House of Commons justice committee was probing the matter. That committee, dominated by Liberal legislators, shut down its inquiry on Tuesday, saying no more action was needed.

In protest, the Conservatives forced the House to sit through the night from Wednesday into Thursday casting votes on hundreds of confidence motions.

Source

FWICT, this looks like Trudeau and friends tried to quash an investigation into one of his buddies/contributors. So the sort of thing that the left fantasizes about Trump doing, Trudeau appears to have actually done -- and in an amazingly ham-fisted manner.

Comment

Yep. It's getting dirtier and dirtier. Trudeau has always been a liar and, of course, a substitute drama teacher with a penchant for dress-up.

Comment

Today:

Jody Wilson-Raybould submitted a recorded conversation of the phone call with former Clerk of the Privy Council Michael Wernick in a 44-page document on the SNC-Lavalin affair that was released to the public Friday afternoon.

Wilson-Raybould has asserted that Wernick, who is the country’s top civil servant, made “veiled threats” against her on the SNC-Lavalin affair, but Wernick has denied making threats to her during his second appearance at the justice committee earlier this month.

Wernick came under fire from opposition parties who said he is overly partisan and have called on him to resign.

He then announced last week that he will retire early and leave the post by April 19.

In the December 2018 phone call, Wilson-Raybould warns Wernick repeatedly about the perception of political interference if she overrode the federal prosecutor to offer SNC-Lavalin a deal to avoid a criminal trial.

It corroborates virtually all details of Wilson-Raybould’s four-hour testimony on the SNC-Lavalin affair on Feb. 27, 2019.

Here’s the transcript of the nearly 18-minute conversation between Wernick and Wilson-Raybould.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5112044/j...ll-transcript/

The transcript is in the link.

Comment