Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jussie Smollett: Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jussie Smollett: Now What?

Mr. Smollett did some really stupid stuff, he used a racial hoax to further his career, but he is a young and talent man who really made a bad, though intentional, mistake. I don't know what the courts will do with all this, but this young man should be collectively forgiven by his fellow Americans. Forgiven in our hearts. At this point he has pretty much lost everything. He doesn't need a Scarlet A following him the rest of his life. I would like to see Trump invite him to the White House for a sit down and possible reconciliation. Mercy, mercy, mercy....
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I'm willing to offer forgiveness but only after he asks for it. If he is unrepentant...

Meanwhile I'm sure he'll be back. Hollywood will circle the wagons around him (the Hollywood Reporter says that the producers of Empire still have no plans to cut Smollett from the show) and likely portray him as a victim of a police cover-up or at worst merely trying to draw attention to a "real" problem but just in the wrong way.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I'm willing to offer forgiveness but only after he asks for it.
      I would like to see him allocute in open court...But I think what I'm saying is that our side should not push it to the wall. That if we showed some sincere grace it may go a long way mend racial divisions.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Although the evidence against him does seem strong, I'm still hesitant to fully judge whether he did it until he either confesses or a trial occurs.

Comment

He needs to be held strictly accountable, as an example for others. That doesn't at all mean we can't forgive him, but we need to get the message out that this will not be tolerated. It's letting people off easy which encourages copycats. That won't mend racial relations; it'll maintain the inequitable status quo. I don't care what the color of your skin is - neither actual interracial crimes nor hoaxes are acceptable.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

And how is such a hoax not hate crime? Is it not designed, at least in part, to promote the vilification of a different (from the perpetrator's) racial group?
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

We must forgive the inexcusible after all that is what Christ did for us.

Smollett may you find peace. Lord help you.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                We must forgive the inexcusible after all that is what Christ did for us.
                CS Lewis said that too. But to this point there is no evidence that Smollett will admit to the crime, just yesterday he claimed that he was still innocent.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I'm willing to offer forgiveness but only after he asks for it. If he is unrepentant...
                  I'm always suspicious of people who seek forgiveness only after they've been caught and are facing the consequences. It's less "I'm sorry; please forgive me" and more "I'm sorry; please don't punish me".

But it seems that Juicy is still protesting his innocence despite what appears to be an open and shut case against him, so he's not there yet.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I'm with OBP on this.

Comment

Given that Hollywood is willing to reemploy convicted criminals, I don't see him having a hard time necessarily getting a job. If anything, ratings should be up for "Empire" over the short term. I wouldn't be surprised if this weren't something producers concocted to boost viewership.
                      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                        Given that Hollywood is willing to reemploy convicted criminals, I don't see him having a hard time necessarily getting a job. If anything, ratings should be up for "Empire" over the short term. I wouldn't be surprised if this weren't something producers concocted to boost viewership.
                        I don't know. A lot of the people who supported him feel betrayed when they found out he lied. I think he will become an outcast if he avoids jail time.

Comment

Jussie Smollett Dropped From Remainder Of ‘Empire’s Season By Producers

https://deadline.com/2019/02/jussie-...st-1202562657/

Comment

Jussie Smollett indicted on 16 counts of falsifying a police report

Empire star Jussie Smollett was indicted on Friday by a Chicago-area grand jury for 16 felony counts of disorderly conduct, after filing what police are calling a falsified report of a possible hate crime.

Chicago Police had already arrested Smollett last month and charged him with one count of falsifying a police report, but the Cook County grand jury on Friday counted each part of his story separately — meaning that the actor could face up to 64 years in prison if convicted, with each of the 16 charges carrying a possible sentence that ranges from probation to four years in jail.

In January, Smollett was hospitalized after telling police he was the victim of a racist and homophobic hate crime, where the perpetrators had placed a noose around his neck and poured chemicals on him. After the story grabbed headlines around the country, Chicago Police arrested Smollett in February, after concluding that he had staged the incident because he was unhappy with his salary on the Fox drama. Two brothers who were initially arrested by Chicago Police in connection with the incident said they were paid $3,500 by Smollet to stage the attack.

In a statement last month, Smollett remained adamant about his story and denied he played any role in the attack. “Despite my frustrations and deep concern with certain inaccuracies and misrepresentations that have been spread, I still believe justice will be served,” he said. On Friday, Smollet’s attorney told People Magazine that the “indictment is nothing more than a desperate attempt to make headlines.”

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson told CNN’s Don Lemon that they gave Smollett the benefit of the doubt until the evidence suggested otherwise. “A lot of these things will come out in court... we classified him as a victim all the way of up until the 47th hour,” Johnson said.

While it seems the guy is a jackass, 16 counts on an indictment seems a bit over zealous.
                            Last edited by Cow Poke; 03-11-2019, 09:51 AM.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And here I was concerned that a Chicago prosecutor was going to go too easy on him.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment