To kill a mockingbird.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To kill a mockingbird.

The classic book and movie are just that, classic. I wish more people would read/watch it. It truly is a book that takes its time to really delve into what it means to grow up.
    sigpic

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
    The classic book and movie are just that, classic. I wish more people would read/watch it. It truly is a book that takes its time to really delve into what it means to grow up.
    Have you read the recent "sequel" Go Set A Watchman? It's actually the book she intended to write, which her publisher rejected (rightly, IMO; it really needs TKAM to have the impact it does).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Have you read the recent "sequel" Go Set A Watchman? It's actually the book she intended to write, which her publisher rejected (rightly, IMO; it really needs TKAM to have the impact it does).
      I have not. I have mixed feelings towards that book because of how Atticus is portrayed.
      sigpic

Comment

I have not. I have mixed feelings towards that book because of how Atticus is portrayed.
        Well, it's a side of Atticus we don't see in TKAM, but it's how he was originally intended to be portrayed.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I always admired Boo.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When I was your age... smiley old.gif

It was pretty much required reading in skewl.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              When I was your age... [ATTACH=CONFIG]35253[/ATTACH]

It was pretty much required reading in skewl.
              It was one of the few required readings I actually liked.

sigpic

Comment

It was one of the few required readings I actually liked.
                There were a few, like A Tale of Two Cities. It's just that skewl seemed to have a goal of sucking all the joy out of everything we read

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well, it's a side of Atticus we don't see in TKAM, but it's how he was originally intended to be portrayed.
                  The problem is that this "originally" is the same way that any initial draft of a story has things "originally" different. We need to remember that Go Set a Watchman is essentially an early draft of To Kill a Mockingbird. The author's editor thought the flashbacks to Scout's childhood were the most interesting thing and recommended that the book be fully about that instead, resulting in revisions so large it amounted to a totally new book. Indeed, drafts can switch a lot from the first version to the final form... you can find copies of the original draft of Star Wars: A New Hope online, check them out and compare them to the final film, they're basically totally different stories. Speaking of Star Wars, in the original draft of The Empire Strikes Back, Darth Vader was not Luke's father (in fact, it was made crystal clear they were separate characters given that Luke was going to communicate with his dead father like he did with Obi-Wan in the actual film); Darth Vader being Luke's father was a factor added into the story later.

So I don't think we can really say it's a different "side" of Atticus because I ultimately do not believe the two books even take place in the same fictional universe (indeed, the result of the trial that dominates To Kill a Mockingbird is a guilty verdict, but in Go Set a Watchman it states he was acquitted). It's a different "side" of Atticus in the way that The Dark Knight has a different "side" of Batman compared to The Lego Batman Movie.

Comment