Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Methodists Double Down on Gay Marriage Opposition, Anti-LGBT Clergy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Methodists Double Down on Gay Marriage Opposition, Anti-LGBT Clergy

Methodists Double Down on Gay Marriage Opposition, Anti-LGBT Clergy

A vote by members of the United Methodist church on Tuesday ruled that clergy may be removed from their positions if they do not openly denounce gay marriage and affirm their stance against LGBT clergy by 2021.

Church leaders say the move will almost surely lead more liberal members to leave the mainline denomination, CNN reported.

This vote for the church’s “Traditional” plan came after the church initially voted to reject an earlier proposal, known as the “One Church” plan, which would have allowed local churches to perform same-sex weddings and hire openly LGBT clergy. The first proposal was a move by the church to attempt to retain members amid widespread disagreements within its ranks about scripture and the morality of same-sex relationships.

“Many of us have members who are saying they will leave,” a member of the church’s legislative committee, Rev. Tom Berlin of Virginia, said at the General Conference vote, according to CNN. “A virus of conflict will spread.”

But the United Methodists voted to push forward the “Traditional” plan, which passed 438 to 384.

“Today, more than 800 worldwide General Conference delegates affirmed the Traditional Plan as The Way Forward for The United Methodist Church,” Bishop Scott Jones said in a statement. “This decision resolves a long-standing debate about how we can best accomplish our mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.

“Our views on same-sex marriage have not changed,” the statement continued. “We will continue to welcome lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered and queer persons to our churches and affirm their sacred worth.”
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Swimming against the tide, the Methodist church is to be commended for adhering to Biblical principles, yet with love for all people.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

3. Amen Cow Poke, DesertBerean, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Swimming against the tide, the Methodist church is to be commended for adhering to Biblical principles, yet with love for all people.

Blessings,
    Lee
    I'm curious to see tomorrow, when I meet with some of our local church leaders, how this plays in our community. One of our bigger Methodist churches has a gay staff member, and has embraced same sex marriage. Their female pastor today mentioned that she is required by their Bishop to print the Bishop's policy in their bulletin, and she has to announce it from the pulpit on Sunday, though she is not in agreement with it, personally.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was a Methodist in the 90s, these issues are why I left.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

6. Amen Bill the Cat, mossrose amen'd this post.
    God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    I was a Methodist in the 90s, these issues are why I left.
    Same.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My dad left the Methodist church in the '70s (he was raised Presbyterian, but that's where he was going when I was born). My dad wanted to hear commentary on scripture, not the newspaper. I have vague memories of attending as a preschooler.

Kudos to them for doing what's right, for the nonce.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So will this end up with a split like in the Presbyterian church?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Just from the comments I'm hearing from members of our local UMC (and rumblings from their female pastor), I'm thinking probably yes.

The vote was pretty close -- 438 to 384 -- if there's not a split, I'd imagine it's only a few more years before the majority switches.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    A similar thing happened with the Lutherans, which is why our Church shared our building with a new Lutheran congregation in town, that had split off a bigger local Lutheran Church where things just got too liberal.

That Church - the new Lutheran congregation - now has their own building and they are growing.

12. Amen lee_merrill amen'd this post.
    41st Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This surprised me because I was hearing they were heavily in favor of those two issues. But considering how close the vote was, that wasn't too far off the mark.

I'm guessing they gave until 2021 to declare one's stance to give a grace period? Do Methodist clergy have to give periodic written affirmation to the doctrines they are to teach? Our clergy do so every year, and we have a common history with the Methodists.
    Last edited by DesertBerean; 02-28-2019 at 08:02 AM.