Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mishandling Security.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mishandling Security.

How is this not an issue?
    https://www.wral.com/trump-ordered-o...W0g7IdYGZJAqSM
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

sorry I can't see the article because it doesn't like my ad blocker.

Comment

Source: Trump Ordered Officials to Give Jared Kushner a Security Clearance

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Of course presidents are allowed to choose their advisors and IIRC some of them raised questions of a like nature. Moreover, if they hadn't been elected the last two Democrat presidents probably couldn't have gotten within a six block radius of a security clearance.

Okay, that was hyperbole. I'm sure they could have gotten within a block.

ETA: Here's one example

Source: Lawmakers demand answers on Rhodes' Security clearance

White House Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes has become the subject of a congressional probe into whether FBI officials declined to grant him an interim security clearance for use during President Obama's transition.

In a letter sent to FBI Director James Comey in mid-December, Republican Congressmen Trent Franks, Ariz., and Jim Bridenstine, Okla., pressed the agency for details about Obama's top national security aide and his clearance investigation. The letter, first reported by the Washington Free Beacon, questions about whether Rhodes' access to classified information is inappropriate considering FBI officials may have been perturbed by his past.

"Recent reports indicate the FBI denied, or was going to deny, Ben Rhodes an interim security clearance during President Obama's transition. This previously unknown fact is extremely troubling and calls into question the integrity of the FBI's protocols and the wisdom of Mr. Rhodes' continued government employment," the lawmakers wrote.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by rogue06; 03-01-2019, 11:46 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Thanks. I also found the original story here: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/28/u...?module=inline

So where are these internal memos mentioned in the story? And who are the four people mentioned? This sounds like another NYT "anonymous sources said" story.

But even if it did happen as stated, the President can legally give a top secret security clearance to whomever he wants. He is the Commander in Chief.

Comment

It was not illegal. The main problem would be whether or not Trump et al lied about it.

I don't really trust Kushner, but at this point, I also don't trust the FBI and other security agencies when it comes to Trump and his family.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            It IS a very serious problem and for reasons that should be obvious even to Republicans.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              It IS a very serious problem and for reasons that should be obvious even to Republicans.
              No it isn't. As the top classifying official in the country, Trump legally can order a security clearance investigation for ANYONE. Ultimately, it's his legal responsibility and ability to accept the risk if any abnormalities are discovered.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                It was not illegal. The main problem would be whether or not Trump et al lied about it.

I don't really trust Kushner, but at this point, I also don't trust the FBI and other security agencies when it comes to Trump and his family.
                You know, it's sad that we're kinda in a situation where we have to decide who's lying the LEAST, not "who's telling the truth".
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  You know, it's sad that we're kinda in a situation where we have to decide who's lying the LEAST, not "who's telling the truth".
                  I think that's why Trump had to excuse Kim on the Otto Warmbier thing. If he wants the benefit of the doubt from others, he had to give it to Kim.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    No it isn't. As the top classifying official in the country, Trump legally can order a security clearance investigation for ANYONE. Ultimately, it's his legal responsibility and ability to accept the risk if any abnormalities are discovered.
                    So if Obama has given a clearance to his son-in-law after security experts and recommend refusal, you would have given him a thumbs up. You are nuts.

Comment

So if Obama has given a clearance to his son-in-law after security experts and recommend refusal, you would have given him a thumbs up. You are nuts.
                      It's how the law is written, stupid. But again, you are talking out of complete ignorance. The only way to be blocked from a security clearance is if the adjudicator says to block you. That didn't happen here. Some unrelated suits griped their "concerns", but the actual investigators found no offense suitable for denying him a clearance.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        It's how the law is written, stupid. But again, you are talking out of complete ignorance. The only way to be blocked from a security clearance is if the adjudicator says to block you. That didn't happen here. Some unrelated suits griped their "concerns", but the actual investigators found no offense suitable for denying him a clearance.

Comment

Kushner lied on his application for clearance
                          No he didn't. The "concerns" were neve

and dad-in-law lied about his role in getting him cleared.
                          It's none of your business who gets a clearance and who doesn't. it's the President's prerogative under Article II to give a clearance to anyone he damned well pleases.

That's legal. That you got your panties in a wad about it is of no concern to me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...=.feb7789e91c2
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It is a wonder that Kushner is not behind bars already.

Comment

It is a wonder that Kushner is not behind bars already.
                              And since the details of his SF86 and interviews have not been released, you are talking out of your rear again.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment